Wots Wot XL

Thanks Percy. Just Engines' own range of Superquiet mufflers now just comes up as 'not available' on their website - I'll have to give them a ring. I'll check out the Turbo mufflers also. I see they have a nice lip to secure a silicone extension - I put one on the standard Saito muffler with both cable ties and twisted wire, and it just fell off.

Rich - I used Ripmax Quartz 501 servos, they seem fine.

Edited By David P Williams on 29/05/2016 10:54:57

Posted by David P Williams on 29/05/2016 10:53:02:

Thanks Percy. Just Engines' own range of Superquiet mufflers now just comes up as 'not available' on their website - I'll have to give them a ring. I'll check out the Turbo mufflers also. I see they have a nice lip to secure a silicone extension - I put one on the standard Saito muffler with both cable ties and twisted wire, and it just fell off.

Rich - I used Ripmax Quartz 501 servos, they seem fine.

Edited By David P Williams on 29/05/2016 10:54:57

Thanks, they look good value.

Posted by Percy Verance on 29/05/2016 11:57:59:

Those Ripmax servos seem good David, as do the Airtek Hobbies DMM150 digital metal geared jobs at just a few quid more. Theirs have twice the torque at 4.8v too!

Edited By Percy Verance on 29/05/2016 11:58:54

Thanks Percy yes

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by David P Williams on 26/02/2016 21:08:07:

Thanks Justin.

The fittings are generally good. I wasn't totally happy with the clevises - the rolled part where the thread is seemed badly formed, and the threads were a bit loose on the pushrods, so I chose to replace them with better quality ones. One of my flying friends almost lost his AcroWot XL recently when a clevis came adrift so I guess I was being ultra cautious about this. I think the control horns will do - we'll see.

It seems nicely made and finished, but the biggest problem was with the tail. The fin and tailplane are 8mm thick, but the pre-cut slots are 9-10mm wide. Bit of messing around to pack them correctly and get the alignment right.

I'll try to get it assembled, weighed and photographed tomorrow.

My build is going smoothly, but the clevises supplied were the same as David's, shocking and inconsistent quality. Strange, because otherwise, it appears to be a very well put together model - probably the best artf model I have put together to date.

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with you guys on clevises. Unfortunately Ripmax also use the same awful clevises on the Wot 4 XL too. If used as intended I think they are dangerously loose . . I have also seen the pin fall out on them. I replaced all of mine with proper branded ones which have a decent purchase on the thread rather than these wobbly things. Making poor quality parts like this is a waste of resources and could result in needless damage . I was happy with most of the other fittings which seem of decent quality . The control horns look plasticky but they worked well on my Wot 4 XL so I am using them.

The stage I am at now is getting the engine mounting done. I have already cut and reinforced the servo mountings in the tail, but I'm not putting the tail plane on until the engine mounts are finished as it is easy to damage the tail in my small workshop. I have decided to mount my Laser 155 on its side rather than inverted. That makes the carburettor height perfect as standard and makes cooling easy, but does add some lateral imbalance. I hope to counteract that by locating my oversized RX battery on the opposite side. I am just laminating some made up ply 3cm blocks to hold the engine mount and give the required 175mm distance from firewall to spinner back plate. Will post photos later too . Good luck with your builds chaps and keep up the posts😊

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 07/07/2016 12:42:13

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 07/07/2016 12:43:53

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 07/07/2016 12:46:25

Good idea Tim, I am clumsy and forever bashing mine, the tail always gets some punishment - just recently I knocked the tail on my Yak getting it into the car and had to reglue it!

Now that my Yak is finished and flying I'll be getting on with the wots wot. I noticed tonight the tank is mounted near the firewall, how do you get in there to locate the straps, Velcro or whatever? sad

There are slots for straps but I can't see anyway of reaching them!

Edited By Rich2 on 09/07/2016 18:14:27

Hi Rich. I'm not quite sure re straps but what I normally do is use a couple of extra long zip ties and put them in with just a few clicks on Before the tank . Then put the tank in and pull them tight . I think I might need to slightly raise the tank for my carburettor height so I will put foam underneath with some rubber glue. I coated the inside of the fuselage with West Epoxy too which should make it tougher. I also added a long spruce rib running to the engine firewall and first bulkhead and it as been epoxied in.