Preparing to move house

Erfolg

We have started the moving process.

I have now emptied the loft, reduced the volume by approx 1/4.

The garage now has racks in for storage.

All my kits (except one) are now there, and I have taken all the wings in my present garage over.

Next week i am hoping to get most of my present flying aircraft over except probably 2 or 3 which I will fly until the move is complete.

There is a fly in the ointment at present, in that I was hoping to use the Gerhard, the old Austrian's" model support, by simply screwing in the large (closed) cup hooks into the joists in the garage, using string to hoist the model and support up. Unfortunately the garage ceiling is lined and plastered. Which means locating the joists and then finding something similar to a cup hook, where the screwed part is long enough to screw into the beam through the plaster and plaster board.

wp_20160301_10_52_01_pro.jpg

wp_20160301_10_52_13_pro.jpg

There may not appear to be many wings , there are. I was also taken aback as to the number of foam core wings blanks I have.

Advert

I'm glad it's not just me. The thought of moving house again with all of this aeroplane stuff filling 1.5 sheds, the garage roof and part of the loft would probably cause me to slit my throat. That plus my two old Nortons and enough spares to build some more. I keep telling myself to sort it all out before I snuff it and it's too late.

Don't weaken Erfolg.

I couldn't move again after the last one The amount of stuff I had to leave still makes me want to cry. Luckily not much of it was related to modeling .Some of my models and mag collection have moved 6 times Among other stuff that went adrift was my SCUBA tanks with gauges and regulator mouthpiece . Too long a story but I still miss it There was a lot of other stuff to but when I got back to the old house to pick it up the local heroes had got in and cleaned it all out .Rude words Over the years they had cost me thousands including taking the whole car tools and all. Another long story how that happened . Even after all that though I've still got loads to deposit .Free cycle works for me both in getting and giving Got some good models including a Practical Scale 72" Tiggie . and a few tools too All just for the asking Anyway Erf good luck in your new place .

I have found out that it is a slow business. Much of it because of incompetence, that is on my part.

I have assembled 3 metal racks, which will benefit from fastening together, to make a single unit. Stupidly as this thought went through my head, I took no action to determine the size of bolts required. So back home i think m8 will do, then I think, perhaps not, seem to remember that the only holes are very large.

The house does not have an water supply that is suitable for a hose pipe connection, which i intended making a connection in the garage. So having spent the whole day in the garage assembling the metal shelving, yet did not think to measure how much Cu pipe is required.

I am loosing one double bed to daughter No.1 (who will live about 1/4 mile from us) much to my dismay, which I would prefer to keep. Only to acquire a DB in kit form from daughter No.2, plus a trundle (bed i believe they are called) which I would prefer not to have, all surplus to her requirements.

That is without seeming to have a never ending pile of modelling bits and pieces.

In the case of the better half, there are 3 wardrobes of clothes, many draws of clothes. Acceptance of the fact that much is never or has not been worn is difficult to obtain. Yet my 4 jackets are due for rationalising along with the contents of my wardrobe.

This is turning out to be a very long process.

Perhaps what has surprised my wife is that when I put up curtain rails and blinds, I would be expected to jump to it, straight onto the task.

However the company who is making (or contracting out) the blinds etc and then installing them, have given a minimum estimate of two weeks.

However the paper hanging is almost done, just a couple of days. This time I have found it easy, just making the odd cup of coffee and eating chocolate digestives. Not stressful at all, nor tiring, this supervision lark.

To some extent I am beginning to look forward to not travelling back and forward, spending a few days on site (as it were), This will enable my wife to do her cloths thing, without distractions.angel

I have just dug out 3 GF bare fuzelarges, one finished GF fuz, and a GF Solent Sailpalane Ridge Rover Fuz, and finaly a Flair Sunrise fuz, all from an area which I thought i had cleared in the garage. I will post pics of this little haul.

After flying today i went into the garage to start the process of getting some order in there.

Again surprises. I found a full can of Diesel fuel made by HMG, with a warning that it contains IPA what ever that is and a tin with a spout for filling the tank. A partially full large container of glow fuel. A full skeen of 1/4" suare rubber, for a bungee. A return, plus a hand winch, a double tow return, two dogee stakes.

Everywhere I look, every cupboard i open reveals yet more wings and bodies.

Plus all those miscellaneous things i had forgot I had, eg about 6-8 GF tail booms (some could be carbon).

Tomorrow I will being taking as many models as i can to St Annes, whilst there I have a number jobs i want to do.

My wife is getting grumpy sorting her 4 wardrobes and numerous draws of cloths out, getting them into boxes.

The chaos seems to grow, not reduce. Will we ever win, I just wonder.

Progress is slow

This will be my second load of modelling stuff. There is at least one more, as the remaining models are bigger, representing those models I currently fly or need test flying, since I have become a power modeller.

Although there may appear to be space there is not really

wp_20160307_14_05_25_pro.jpg

Yet again I have found some very old pod and boom bodies, that never were finished due to work commitments. Now they are old technology and i no longer am at one with the environment and being a glider guider.

wp_20160307_13_44_33_pro.jpg

wp_20160307_12_39_25_pro.jpg

There are one or two surprises that make themselves known. My air sea and rescue boat made by VIP. Unfortunately the motor is missing.

Perhaps it could be converted to Brushless and Lipo, although outside of my knowledge base.

wp_20160307_13_55_38_pro.jpg

I have also found a Tamiya buggy, which needs to make its way to Granddaughter No.2. The one that is into making things, and is not a toy doll lover. Much preferring mechanical type things and Star-wars.

I am now concentrating on boxing my books. We are vacuum bagging our clothes also.

I am less than certain with how to deal with other things. As been suggested by all, removers will move all the big furniture. It is the masses of crockery and ornaments that are concerning me. There is a lot of it. Some very fragile and of sentimental value, the financial value is not the issue.

We are considering hiring a van to move a lot of these items ourselves, just to keep items secure and the costs within reason.

I am once again looking for ideas.

My problem is that my glider fuselages take up a lot of space when lying on their sides on a shelf. I wish to stand them on end either as in a umbrella stand or maybe in a similar manner to that used for transporting bottles.

What I do not want to do is make anything. Not an aversion to work, more a lack of time at present..

I still have models to transport across to our house. Plus a model room that seems to be as full as when i started.

I have now found that their is no power point in the garage, which is a bit more than a nuisance. So it seems that at some point I will need to pay someone to put in a spur, as I I am no longer allowed to undertake this simple task.angry 2

Also there is no tap that is convenient for outside use. i can take care of this myself.

Once the tap is in I can then instal the rotary pole clothes line, which also means I could do with my wheel barrow, there, as a convenient mixer, in addition to my cement mixer. Everything seems to be in the wrong place.

Plus the garden of the house, needs a lot of maintenance. A number of trees to come down, as some are in very poor state and others have out grown their location. The hard part is getting the sumps out of the ground, so that trees of appropriate size (when grown) can be planted. The problem seems to be worse, in that some already cut, when rebuilding the house, need to be removed, and seem to be awkward to get at.

I am now boxing our library, the trouble for me is that books are heavy. I am not sure if the best approach is to just box them all. Then to hire a van and shift them all. Or to leave them all here and have them moved along with all the furniture.

I think i am being logical in trying to empty all the cupboards of stuff, and to box it. Much of my problem is that we do not know what we have.

Feed back on the various strategies adopted would be useful, as this task is a lot bigger than I ever imagined. As I have done a lot, with little apparent progress.

At this rate it could be months before i will be flying again with any consistency.

Just an observation and not very helpful, Erf, but you, like many of us here, are no longer 'spring chickens' but we have a habit of still seeing everything through the eyes of a 20-year-old..... and we forget that we no longer have the limitless stamina which got us through everything!

I would think the garden is the least of your problems at present - it won't deteriorate much further whilst you get the priority jobs done. Most of those garden jobs can be done when the weather improves (smile) and, before then, you could perhaps arrange for family working parties to give you a hand? If things like stump-removal are beyond that, bite the bullet and get a pro in to sort it - I worried for several years about a tree close to my house and a couple of months ago got someone in to fell it - it took a couple of hours and the problem was sorted.

Reducing that which you are taking is the priority at present, as far as I can see....

Pete

Pete, you are very right with your observation with respect to age, and the effects of age.

At times i do think i have made some progress, then i look around and realise an awful lot more needs to be done.

There is another landmark coming up, in that the blinds etc for the windows will be installed in 2 weeks time.

At that point I feel i can stay overnight and can move the furniture in pretty quickly.

I am starting to think that a plan could be to move as much of the smaller items that benefit for planning as we can. Then empty all the cupboards of the things that have not gone, and get the furniture moved. Then sort out the remainder into the keepers and the dumpers, Which can be brought over or taken to the trip.

To date I have moved a lot of papers and other stuff to the tip, in addition to what I have managed to cram into the dust bins.

I do wonder, or that should be stand in awe of those who have managed a move without the trauma i am finding.