Piper Cub recommendations

trebor

I'm thinking about building from scratch a clipped wing cub round about 80". Can anyone recommend one ? I've seen a few Sig versions but the one I fancied was just too big. As I'm no balsa expert maybe a kit would be best with parts identified. Ideally this would be a keeper so a nice flyer essential. yes

Advert

• 7 months later...

Well after a long time due to seeing the price of a new kit I spotted this older kit at a good price, the cat likes it anyway. I am looking forward to building it next year but for now it slid into the loft away from the eyes of TOH ( the other half ). I can collect bits for it on the QT. Had a glassfibre cowl thrown in as well.

img_2461.jpg

I bought it for my 120 fs, now putting NGH 25 petrol in, fits nicely and is too much power really but helps with c.g, nice big prop n cheap to run, still not finished it yet, got stalled with the glazing and paint job, i replaced the front screen acetate with some thinner stuff as i couldn't fit the original stuff too thick. Nice kit though the wood was spot on in mine.

Yes I used all the supplied hardware which was fine unlike most kits! I have no hang ups about using imperial / US threads and don't substitute them if the quality is good. The wheels are Dubro 1/4 scale Cub wheels from Pegasus Models IIRC. The engine is side mounted as you can see with a matching dummy rather than using the kits plastic ones. Flies mostly at about half throttle with FT only needed for loops, stall turns etc. Takes off at about 3/4 throttle and lands at about 10mph airspeed (from telemetry read out). Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Posted by trebor on 04/11/2016 18:27:46:

yes I know yours is in a different plane but what sort of flight time do you get ?

Plenty once they are run in mate , the one I have in the Hellcat isn't greedy on fuel and that hammers around at 3/4 throttle most of the time.