Red Eagle 2016 Build

LHR Dave

That's a real shame Dave! I used the recommended wire size as my joiner and I have looped and spun my Red Eagle with no problems. She should repair easily, mine got mid-aired last year at a great height and suffered quite a lot of front end damage which repaired easily. Persevere with it, she will reward you over and over again!

I had a similar experience with mine but fortunately after several flights. The failure was not the joiner but the main spar and I have attributed this to my poor selection of the correct grade of balsa or spruce for critical items like the main spars. My repair included the insertion of cf along the mainspars. No problems now except for the trees.

• 5 weeks later...

Due to a bad period of weather and not being able to get out to the field , I have been able to repair the Red Eagle.

I have joined the wings together permanently with a new carbon joiner and epoxied them together, I then put a fiberglass bandage over the join and recovered the solarfilm.

The front end of the fuselage was repaired relatively easily and i have added dowels at the front and back of the wing area to allow the wing to be banded on as well as the two plastic bolts at the rear.

I hope my belt and braces approach will be the answer and hopefully the next "Maiden" flight will be successful.

Will try to add a photo at the weekend.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

dsc_0016.jpgdsc_0015.jpgFinally Flying Photo's

My Thoughts are that I found Red Eagle quite difficult to steer where I wanted. Conditions were near perfect very light winds. Perhaps It was me try to fly it like an aileron aircraft. I will revisit my control throws. But at least it flies and the wings are strong now.

dsc_0013.jpg

Hi Dave,

Red Eagle looks amazing, great job of finishing and fixing it up, looks the part in the air!

Did you manage to sort out the directional problem? Think I setup the throws as per the plan and it flies perfect.

I accidently stripped a servo setting up the elevator throws and that would have made a right mess!

Well hope you got it sorted out and it's flying great!

Cheers,
Alan

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Late to the party, but I started this plan a few years ago and am recovering my wings and carrying on after a break from the hobby. Starting on the fuselage soon, but note it is bigger than my balsa sheets. Are 100 x 1200mm 3mm sheets available or do you simply splice smaller sheets?

• 1 month later...
Posted by James Galpin on 11/04/2020 18:03:36:

Late to the party, but I started this plan a few years ago and am recovering my wings and carrying on after a break from the hobby. Starting on the fuselage soon, but note it is bigger than my balsa sheets. Are 100 x 1200mm 3mm sheets available or do you simply splice smaller sheets?

Try Balsa Cabin - they still seem to do 48" (1200mm sheets).

Dick

• 3 years later...

Welcome to the forum.

the plan and cut parts are available as Chris says.   The plan shows lots of interlocking parts typical of CAD design but not very easy to cut yourself.  

You could also consider the  Sonata from Balsa Cabin.

There are several fairly similar plans around.   Gentle Lady and Electra are on Outerzone for free download.