Longest Serving Club Members?

Advert

We rediscovered (actually it was the other way round) one of our founder members from 1935 about 4 years ago who is now an honorary member - but he didn't go back to model flying after serving in WW2. Although there's no claim to long service, he must certainly rank as one of the oldest founding club members in the world, if not the oldest?

We also have a couple of very active members around 70 years old who joined as teenagers (or perhaps even younger?) so let's say 55 years each?

I was flying alongside one of our oldest and longest serving members last week. He was more or less running the club when I first visited back in the seventies so must have been a member for, at the very least, 45 years. It was his birthday last week and he had bought himself a Weston fun-fly model, complete with West 36 which wasn't quite behaving, so he had to do two or three very neat deadsticks and was very pleased when the engine finally kept running and he was able to make a perfect power on landing on his last flight. He wasn't exactly ringing it out but his flying was smooth and tidy as always and quite fantastic for an 87 year old I thought.

The club itself is 78 years old and I've been a member for about 30 years.

John.