Gypsy and Cirrus Moths

Geoff S

Having got my electric DB Tiger Moth flying (5 more flights yesterday) I have a little urge to build another DB Moth but from scratch this time - My Tiggie was given to me apparently as a completed airframe but in reality it needed more time to correct/modify than if I'd started from scratch.

I was a very keen sailor before I started aeromodelling and Sir Francis Chichester is one of my heroes. However Chichester's great skill was as a navigator and he was the first to fly across the Tasman sea in a Gypsy Moth (ZK-AKK). So I fancy building a DB Cirrus Moth and I'm trying to find out what the differences are apart from the improved engine. I suspect little, though I think the wingspan was increased from 29 to 30 feet - not a big deal.

Also, apart from the registration and a few poor monochrome photos in my copy of 'The Lonely Sea and the Sky' , I can't find out much about Chichester's Moth. It looks light coloured with possibly silver wings.

Geoff

Advert

Hi Geoff, I have flown both the DB Moths at 60 ish inch, and to me the Cirrus is a nicer flyer than the Tiger, but that is just my opinion. The obvious difference is the Tigers wings are swept back and they are not on the Cirrus. Obviously the engine is upright too on the Cirrus.

I would guess the whole plane was done in silver dope? But it is just a guess. Stuart McKay's book on the DH60 Moths mentions Chichester's exploits and planes, (there were several) but the pictures are black and white and contain no mention of colours.

I keep meaning to do a copy of 'Jason' but that project keeps slding down the to-do list....

Hi Geoff, just re-read your original post, and you weren't asking what I thought you were asking, ignore me its age getting to me....

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 01/04/2016 17:27:58

Edited By Danny Fenton on 01/04/2016 17:31:01

Thanks, gentlemen.

Cymaz: Your link was the one I read and decided the differences between the 2 are slight and for me (definitely NOT a rivet counter ) insignificant.

Danny: I suppose not exactly what I was asking but probably should have. so thanks anyway. Is the Stuart Mackay who wrote the book to which you refer the same SM who supplies petrol engines and very fancy large kits?

At least if you model 'Jason' you can go along to the London Science museum and have a look at the original. It was hanging up there the last time I visited 5 or 6 years ago. Chichester's exploits in the air are not as well known as Amy Johnson's but they should be. They are, at least , the equal of his sailing feats.

Pete: That's really well above and beyond efforts required of a board moderator! Excellent stuff. Most of what I know about Chichester, apart from contemporary reports is from his auto biography "The Lonely Sea and the Sky" which, by some miracle I managed find on one of our bookshelf amongst my collection of sailing books. It's a Pan paperback originally priced at 30p (6/-) new! So you can guess how long I've had it!

btw I have no intention of building Chichester's Gypsy Moth with floats! It must have had wheels at some time in its life and my model, assuming it's more than a pipe dream, will too.

Geoff

From what I can recall from building a DB moth 40(cirrus moth) and modding it to look like a gypsy moth is the main difference is the cowling and front fuz up to the cockpit and the under carriage, straight axel on the cirrus and the X type on the gypsy.

I built mine when I was 15 or 16 as my first scale aircraft fitted with an early os 48 surpass it even had closed loop for rudder and ele.la madrina3.jpg