WOT4-E Mk2 – Refitting to 4S, what motor?

I have this Wot4-E (The wooden electric one) with 226 flights and it’s time for a refit. You may remember them being the subject of many blogs reference CG problems some 3 or 4 years ago. Anyway despite the fact that it needed large amounts of lead in the nose, which gave it a short flight time on a 3S 2200, mine is still a good flyer.

I know several owners have refitted the battery bay to take a 4S and, with a bigger motor, made some of that nose weight more productive. I've stripped away the covering and have made room for a 4S battery. I am also fitting a HK ‘Candy Dropper’ which is a canoe shaped bomb bay under the fuselage which still allows access to the battery hatch.

I’ve calculated the weight will be about 4.5 lbs all up. I'm using a Dynamic 4S 3200 batteries and have a 60A ESC to hand. Bearing in mind that I want power and endurance over speed, I was wondering what other motor and prop combinations owners had fitted when upgrading this plane?

Interestingly the recently announced MKIII has a Quantum II 40 recommended. This is 980W max 800Kv. Sounds possible overkill and I haven’t yet seen any for sale.

Do any owners have any experience or advice please? Thanks

Advert

David - I have been flying an identical Wotty using an Axi 4120/14* (rated at 660 kV) using a 4000 4S - the performance can only be described as "rather more than adequate" with take offs of the scalded cat variety. I subsequently tried other set-ups, but couldn't improve on the old Axi.

Sadly my Wotty is currently donating it's avionics and motive power to other projects since the wing part-failed during an outside loop - still, I've had years of pleasure out of this one & there should be a replacement available from Ripmax shortly.

*As recommended by Mr Electric Wingman.

Hi David,

I am using E Max bl 2826 / 06 motor , E Max 60 A ESC,

4s 3300 GENS ACE

11×7 _ 460W @ 32A

12× 6 _ 510W @37A

Props are from giant shark not the best in the world but appear to be working ok.

Set the C of G on mine at 90 mm from leading edge and it did not require much lead and flies a treat not in the slightest twitchy. Books says 60 mm +/- 3 this is way nose heavy and would need loads of lead, hence all the adverse comments on previous threads.

Whatever combo you opt for don't forget to get the Watt meter hooked up to make sure you are ok with the amps.

Best of luck hope this helps,

Cheers Paul.