Kit shelf Life

David Cooke 1

After building a few club size models as a kid, I find it more convenient to build and fly vintage style electric 30" size models casually where I can (our of harm's way). TBH I'm so wrapped up in the engineering day job I get little time to commit to the hobby.

I do though miss the Super 60s and Flair Cubs and wondered about just buying the kits and sitting on them for - lets say years.... Is there a shelf life for kits? Given that you can buy vintage kits still and indeed fly old models I'm guessing its OK to sit on them.... They'd be stored under a bed upstairs so not too bad an environment.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks

Advert

I have a big box of wood, balsa and other hardwoods, that was given to me 26 years ago by a friend who bought things at Swaffham auctions. I am still delving into it and it is all in very good condition. Very thin woods like veneers do split even when glued to foam wings though.

Percy, yes, but I launched an old kit, and it didn't lift, the elevator horn failed on the runway, and it went into the grass outer field at high speed, without aviation. No harm done, but stress and puzzle why its steaming across the grass, having left the hard bit, fast and no upward movement.

And I had a ground related arrival with an old WOT 4 and its old hinges failed. Old plastic needs careful testing

I have some models I made in 50 s and 60 s Still sound apart from some hangar rash. One is a Veron Velox another is an o/d cabin job another is Vampie from Aeromodeller plan in the magazine .No rot or fungus and condition seems to be sound . I intend flying them again as soon as I am fit again Also got a Practical Scale kit about 12 yrs old. Dusty but useable. I also had a wartime giveaway from AM A chuckie made of thin hardwood which flew very well despite being about 60 yrs old . Glued up with " Seccotine" from Woolies. Great glue .Slower drying than balsa but clear and very strong Wish it was still available now.

A couple of years ago I finally got around to building a forty years old Sig Zlin kit that had been given to me. Luckily it had been stored well and only needed some of the balsa sheet to be replaced as it had gone very brittle with age. The foam wings were perfect as they came unveneered.
72" wingspan model flys really well on six cell electric setup.

Edited By Cuban8 on 23/04/2016 08:44:26

• 4 weeks later...

Recently, I've built a Micro Mold Tyro Too kit from the early 80s, it went together as it should and no issues with the wood, I sold the bare airframe so can't comment on how it flew. I am currently building a DB Sport and Scale Rookie 86 of similar vintage, again no issues with the wood and it's going together really well.

Oooh! That's nice, Bob! I remember when those came out at first and thought it was the bees knees!

Why are so many modern kits just plain ugly? Whatever happened to a bit of style? When that Mustfire was current, even the basic trainers had a certain style that you just don't see today......

<sigh!>

--

Pete