Two position elevator trim from a switch on a 8fg

Erfolg

I need the elevator to be switchable via a nominated switch to enable a hand launch to be made, without the danger of hitting the ground.

My delta has this, although i do not remember how I did it. The method used may have come from this Website previously.

I can see that it can be done via the "Prog Mix" menu but this does seem a little involved. Is there an easier way?

Advert

Malcolm Holt produced a set of notes for the 8fg, presumably before he went on to write an E book on the 14. Here is a link that will take you to them. **LINK** .I have found them to be really helpful.

Also if you or the mod place your post on Malcolm's 14sg thread on this forum he is likely to reply and give you the answer. Its dinner, and wine, time down here in NZ on a Friday night. I might get out the notes and my set later and look for the answer and report back.

On page 9 & 10 of Malcolm's notes he describes selecting function in the Linkage menu. This allows you to assign the trim function to any switch. So you could set your elevator trim (T2) to a 2 or 3 way switch to give you different flying positions for launch and normal flight, or use a slider.. Trouble with this would be that you lose the ability to make minor trim adjustments using the normal T2 trim adjustments.

Have a look at how the switches have been assigned under function for your delta. That should show you how you did it last time. Hope some of this helps and all the best. Despite all the talk about other brands of tx's, I find the 8fg good to use and Malcolm's notes helps you get the best from it.

The dual rate id not quite what i want. I am after a two postilion neutral on the elevator stick, rather than a change in the volume for each degree of stick movement..

I think I have achieved what I want using the camber function.

Although I am not changing the camber, the function allows two elevator neutral positions. I have left both camber settings on zero, assigning the SF switch for initiatng the the camber change, and I have assigned one elevator position with a little up elevator.

I hope to check out the model tomorrow, which is my canard.

• 3 weeks later...

Cymaz

Unfortunately your link would not let me see what you had linked to, requiring a password. Which is a problem in that I am not registered for that site.

Anyway, I have finally achieved my objective.

Not without difficulty, that could have wrecked the model. All down to incompetence, tunnel vision, and not checking out proprerly. I managed to mix flaps in, as well as a bit of up elevator.

schlange.jpg

This had the unfortunate effect of pitching the model down, as the wing generated more lift than the elevator.

After much experimenting with the tx and all the mixes and combinations, which interestingly caused a shed load of other problems, I hit on the obvious and simple solution.

This is to use the aircraft/glider mix for camber. Leaving the camber options at zero. Setting the elevator on a -ve setting, linking to a switch. Job done, pretty obvious.

I think what threw me initially, that the manual describes the process of moving the control surface from the normal flying position as a change of rate. In my simple mind, I see a rate change as a change in the speed/velocity of an aspect of the control surface movement. Not a change in the neutral position, which I saw as an alternative neutral position.

Anyway job done.smiley