FPV/Recording

Hello all,

I've been asked if I have the ability to do some 'drone' camera work for a private event I'm attending.

1) no commercial gain or pay for it

2) insurance for those concerned is covered

3) it's in Germany.....

After correcting the asker on the terminology of "Drone," I said I'd see what i can do.

I have a fixed wing powered glider (similar to the Bixler), which I think would suit an FPV set up, but am also tempted to try a Quad for FPV.

Any ideas/comments/suggestions for what I could use - on a budget!

Advert

No - one of the reasons for the post!

It is an area I need to get checked out, especially as the event is in a very particular patch which has special rules over and above the German standard ones....

I have a feeling this will become a not going to happen quite quickly, but it has tickled my interest in FPV generally so I quite fancy seeing what the costs are....

Oh OK - I wasn't sure on the regs there either. Maybe try RCG for that as it's more international?

I use a Phoenix 2000 for my fixed-wing FPV'ing, which works well on and off the glide. I use various cameras depending on what I'm doing - Banggood are a good source for a camera and vTX. Generally you don't tend to use the same camera for the video link as the HD recording, although you can with a runcam, mobius, or GoPro.

I'd definitely go for a pan and tilt mechanism for your camera too as it makes flying a lot more immersive and, to me, safer too.

Thanks Andy.

So in essence on the aircraft I'll need:

1) Camera (obviously) for FPV.

2) Video Transmitter

3) Power Supply

On the ground I'll need:

1) Video Rx

2) Goggles or screen.

To record I'll need either a second recording camera, a camera which can record or a recorder on the ground.

Yes to the above, other than the recording on the ground. You can (and to some extant should) record the feed into the goggles on the ground, but its best to record on something in the air as it will be a better picture. For instance, recording HD in the aircraft but only transmitting half of that (at most) to the goggles - you want to capture the best source video generally.

If you were to lose video and (god forbid) complete control of your aircraft, then playing back ground-captured video will be the best way to give you a clue as to where the aircraft can be found, if your spotter lost sight of it of course...

Power supply for the vTX side of things - I always use a separate LiPo for this, as I am a chicken. You can run the vTX off of the flight pack, but usually best to use an "LC" circuit (inductor / capacitor) between the LiPo and the BEC that powers the vTX to get rid of any transients that will create lines and noise on your video. Always check the voltage rating of all the kit you hook up too, as 12v+ from a 3S LiPo will really hurt a 5v camera. Don't ask me how I know this

Personally I would recommend contacting the organisers in Germany for advice

Also be careful of the "not for financial gain" clause as that will include payment in kind etc over and above a cash payment - might be best to contact the BMFA (if its BMFA insurance) and tell the in detail about whatever arrangement you have including any travel costs if it is subsidised in any way by the event

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 19/05/2016 19:33:59:

Personally I would recommend contacting the organisers in Germany for advice

Also be careful of the "not for financial gain" clause as that will include payment in kind etc over and above a cash payment - might be best to contact the BMFA (if its BMFA insurance) and tell the in detail about whatever arrangement you have including any travel costs if it is subsidised in any way by the event

Hi Dave,

The organisers are in the UK - the event is taking place in Germany.

I know I am being a little 'ambiguous' about it, but there is a good reason for that, and not one which will bring the hobby into disrepute.

The Insurance is not BMFA, and I am planning to have a long chat with the lead organiser tomorrow, again, as I don't think he is fully aware or has thought the possible issues through. If I need to I will use my 'influence' over the event and prevent the use of any R/C based equipment for this purpose. The Insurance in place would be adequate and appropriate I think, but again I'm afraid falls into the disclosure of info issue with an open forum.

Posted by Dave Bran on 19/05/2016 19:40:28:

And if you want to test the equipment in any way within the UK, recording FPV video for any later use makes the craft/operator need to comply with article 167.

Something I will need to bear in mind if this all goes ahead, as I don't want to go to Germany and then have it not work.