black horse chipmunk

AndyD

i had a spare half hour tonight so i whiped the engine out the little chipmunk and took the back cover off,on inspection with my little knowledge every thing looks fine,the plugs a bit on the rich side and the valve gaps are all fine,ive got another brand new engine un run and compared to that theres no real difference,the run one got better compression and maybe a bit more play at tdc so i shall continue with the cowl baffles and hope for the best,i have noticed on youtube most of the planes are flown uncowled,but if i remember correctly tony nihuis spitfire flew cowled with petrol conversion.

Advert

FYI the 15x6 was lovely and gave more control for landing and smooth take-off so I am sticking with that . I get 20 minute plus flights using my OS 95v and the standard Black Horse kit tank . The engine is fully cowled in. It is a joy to fly.

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 05/08/2016 02:36:36

defo a joy to fly,just been looking at saito petrol 4 strokes nice but way to expensive,also looked at some of the 9/10 cc 2 stroke petrol engines,a lot cheaper but i dont no if i would like the sound in my chippy.might try the conversion on my other 90 4 stroke to see if thats any different.

Hi Andy . With the exhaust coming out the bottom of the cowl and inverted engine , my OS 95 v 4s is lovely and doesn't produce much oil at all . As I said is a good 20 minutes plus per tank so no need for petrol conversion in this size plane. Obviously a matter of opinion but I do like good nitro 4 strokes ....especially lasers !

its just that everything i fly is electric or petrol and my local model shop no longer stocks glow fuel,so its either a 60 mile round trip to get some or order it but then theres usally no one in to collect it,plus the price of a gallon of petrol compared to 3 gallons of glow,no contest but i might have to give in but not just yet.

002.jpg001.jpg008.jpgive spent the morning on the chippy cowl takeing in all the advice given by so many people many thx to all concerned,instead of making the exit smaller to get a nice 3..1 ratio ive opened up the inlet and re baffled it,the engines007.jpg all back together and everything double checked so hopefully if its nice next weekend she be reaching for them clouds again.

Perfect with that will work fine. Proper direction of air makes a big difference. Engines like high pressure air over the fins and that will provide it. On my Spitfire I use baffles too, as the inlet is small but they work well. One thing best avoided even with baffles is running fully cowled engines for long periods on the ground as the airflow isn't nearly as strong as up in the air.

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 12/08/2016 16:40:13

Your baffling looks a lot better, Andy.

Well, I mean the one on the Chippie, of course.

A bit envious about your Mustang as well. Why can't I find such a great model to 'refurbish'? It should help me with my 'learning curve'. And I guess I really like the 'finishing' part of a build.

Have fun this WE.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR P51 Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 12/08/2016 20:39:01

thx Tim im hopping for a good result tomorrow,its the best i could do with the baffling,glue a bit ,cowl back on and check,cowl off glue another bit etc etc.

Hi Chris the mustang coming along fine but not up to your finish as on your ballerina but im trying not to spend to much money on it as it was meant to be a buy and fly model,not sure there is such a thing in my world.

Glow fuel ?? Do as I do order Methanol and Castor oil on line and make your own. And yes you can have it delivered.Castor oil BPC ?BPS ? i.e. medical grade is best Regards the cowling I hope you cut back the foam inside the cowling as it looks very close to the cylinder

well ive finally got there the little chippys flying fully clothed,six ten min flights all without problems,mid range shes a bit lumpy though im putting that down to tank position as she gets better when on half a tank,the tank is still very high so over winter i might try and lower it and maybe go for a six oz tank or smaller as i could still get 30 plus mins at the mo,but unless problems arise shes staying as she is for now,flaps down and low slow flybys you cant beat it,keep the flaps down and a few touch and gos at walking pace great fun,thx for everyones help and ideas,so now back on with its bigger brother,well after the mustang,120 4 stroke petrol conversion or a mintor 22 petrol,the mintor seems a better fit though.

I like the Chippy,

My first one came secondhand to me fitted with a CRRC Pro 50.

Flew nice but engine went wrong, so fitted a Zenoah G38 on magneto.

Have had so much fun with it and so pleased I Purchased a new one, loads of mods to the plane have been made when I compair the old to the new.

I am half tempted to fit a DLE 30 that is doing nothing at the moment,,

The last time i was at Hastings I did see one with a petrol fourstroke,went well and did sound nice.

Bert

i had a dle 30 in my first big bh chippy lovely setup apart from the sound,we got three in our club at the mo two of them flying with the ngh 38 4 stroke,very nice but tend to vibrate alot,one of them as lowered the compression and retimed it which helps but ive heard the latter ones are better,i hope so as ive got one and was thinking of useing it in my big chippy then hopefully we are goin to fly them all a tthe same time,i was going to fly the small one with them last wekend but the ign module packed up on one of them so they ended up playing around with that for the rest of the day.

well sunday i went for bust and had another attempt to put the paint work right on the the big chippy,not brilliant but good enough to get it flying,so to night i thought i paint some roundels on her,some quick brushed on ones as im waiting for a new air brush,but then i dont no how i tripped over nothing and spilt blue paint down one of the wings,luckerly it cleaned off ok but i think that was life no 9,sunday i was tempted to just paint her black lot less trouble,

Posted by AndyD on 15/08/2016 21:25:44:

i had a dle 30 in my first big bh chippy lovely setup apart from the sound,we got three in our club at the mo two of them flying with the ngh 38 4 stroke,very nice but tend to vibrate alot,one of them as lowered the compression and retimed it which helps but ive heard the latter ones are better,i hope so as ive got one and was thinking of useing it in my big chippy then hopefully we are goin to fly them all a tthe same time,i was going to fly the small one with them last wekend but the ign module packed up on one of them so they ended up playing around with that for the rest of the day.

I was thinking of the setup with an NGH 38 4 stroke, does it fit completely within the cowl?

007.jpg009.jpg010.jpg011.jpg013.jpg014.jpgworking on 3 planes at once to day,paintworks now done,i deciced to dirty it up a bit to hide the imperfections,its passable then i thought i mount the engine,its all takin shape now,i didnt like the ply bulkhead being very soft so coated both sides in glass with a strip round the front to hol015.jpgd it all together especially if it goin to vibrate lik they say with the ngh 38,while i had the glass out i decided to patch up the holes in my h/k spitfire cowl as im now putting the torqpro 70 in it,most of it will probally be cut away again but at least its another job done.

• 1 month later...

been working on the big chippy this weekend.1st job was to move the engine round a bit more as with the J/E silencer was hitting the cowl.that done I spent the afternoon fitting the batterys and tank,then decided to balance it,i should of done a basic check first)t(i,i fitted the batterys as far forward as possible as a friends chippy but ended up way to nose heavy so ended up with 2 batterys way back in the fuz level with the T/E.just a baffle to put in the cowl and then give the engine a run.

• 2 weeks later...

dscf1175.jpgdscf1176.jpgdscf1177.jpgdscf1179.jpgSHE FLYS.took the big chippysdscf1183.jpg out to day with her little sister.three flights but not with out em problems.after all the normal checks she was lined up in the misty weather and away she went fantastic,a bit of down trim and shes spot on,ten mins later and shes lined up for a greaser of a landing,after a cool down for me as well as the chippy shes airborn again,8 mins in and a wheel decides to depart the plane so in a panic shes lined up for a one wheeled landing,im just glad chippys fly slow as shes down with a big headed perfect landing.half an hour walking across ploughed fields the wheel is found on the edge of the strip (lots of luck).every thing refitted and rechecked refuelled and we are up in the clouds again,10 min timer goes off so lined up for landing only to see theres only one wheel on my wagon again,know need to panic( easy to say afterwards) but shes down again perfectly,without another wheel it was time for little sis to perform,still one of my favorites