black horse chipmunk

AndyD

007.jpg006.jpg005.jpgwhat to do when money is burning a hole in your pocket,buy another plane.spent the last week or so reading the chipshop,especially dannys poor mans spitty.hes taken modeling to a new level, most impressed but out of my league,i was so close to joining and starting yet another project when i suddenly come to my sences,buy one and build another at a latter date,a few years back i had the 85 inch bh chipmunk with a dle 30 then changed it coppying dannys electric one,silly ole me put the dle back in it then sold it.

after ripping the retracts out of my hellcat and loosing all intrest in it ive stripped all the gear out of it and bought another 85 chippy,(money from selling some of my petrol engines)electric again as all my fleet is now,mainly 10s and a few 5s,good ole ballet for one.while waiting for my new present to arrive i made a list of all the changes to be made,

1,pilots way to heavy..new ones ultra light but still ugly so will still change them.

2.leg fairings tend to rip off the wing...new design so should be ok

3.tail took a lot of cutting an sanding to get it any where near level...new ones removable on ali tube

4.bigger cockpit opening,better for eletric,

5.no hingeing to do

6.quite a reasonable dash,especially for a arrtf

7.price (ouch)

8.seems to be a pound heavier

9.a bit to shiney..can be sorted004.jpg

Advert

look forward to that Danny,mines staying as it is,well for now,must finish other projects first,although im thinking about a recover or paint upgrade as im not other struck on the colour scheme when theres so many others to be had.not the sharks teeth though.

002.jpg001.jpg002.jpg002.jpgwell it had to go,didnt like the colour scheme so im re-painting it,painting a brand new model,bit insane but that about sums me up.my bh spitfire was painted in emulsion tester pots and as stood the test of time,but that needed painting due to lots of patching and where and tear .as for the chippy its all rubed down and a few bits painted to see if im doing the right thing.i was hoping the cowl was to be a semi matt finish but its totally matt not sure if to leave it or lacquer it.as for the canopy it took over an hour to mask up and only 2 or 3 mins to paint but at least its done and out of the way,i weighed the rudder before and after painting and it didnt even put a gram on004.jpg

i went over the film with 800 wet and dry paper to take the shine off then straight on with hycote aluminium aerosol spray can,dries almost instantly with a nice sheen.havent tried sticking masking tape on it yet but it seems better than the emulsion on my spitty and the paint only lifted slightly on one wing stripes on that.the gloss film looks so perfect untill you start flatting it showing all the imperfections underneath,but dissapear again when painted.

it would be nice if they done the chippy in kit form so you could build it to your own standards,i did think about recovering the wings and glassing the fuz but on a already expensive model thought again.

thought i be clever and have a early start and spray the wings trouble is it was a bit damp this morning and the paints bloomed and that was the last of the paint so i need to get more paint now.i could say its 50 years of weathering as ive seen a picture of a full size one and it dont look a lot better.

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpgwell its painted,not over happy with the orange/it didnt cover to well and where i superglued the tail strakes on where the glue seeped into the paint it justs keeps bleeding through the orange/a bit of weathering called for.overal im happy i done it but its def no show winner so i wont let you get to close to it Danny.for got to use low take tape when masking the wings and it has pulled paint off/well minute dots,its only seemed to do it on the red though but a quick dusting of silver and she be ok so now i can build her up as normal,which should give it time to dry before doing the markings006.jpg

finished at last,if onlywk518 bbmf chipmunk on which im bassing my chippy on.

colours of Hull uas 1961 squadron(me just being born,think i need a restoration as well)im after info on the cowl badge,cant find any pictures,it differs from what i can find yorh etc8060166200_512f8e1211_k.jpg

ive started putting her together but got the useual problems,im assuming the rudder is operated by the tail wheel as theres no rudder horns,why two rods for the rudder,one for the hinge plus the tail wheel rod why not all in one, the main problem though is the fin/rudder asembly is to far forward so the rods dont line up,ive managed to notch the tailplane joining plate to allow a straight line but now ive got to redrill for the black tail wheel assembly and also cut a piece off it and the rear fuz cover to get it all to fit into place or am i missing something.

a single metal rod bent at one end to form the tail wheel and a 90degree bend on the other inserted into the rudder are used on this model. This metal rod is controlled by a control horn in side the rear fuselage box cover. I replaced the kits own thin gauge wire with a heavier gauge . I glued it in the rudder when I fitted it and bent the tail wheel shape lastly when all was fitted. The standard kit wire guage I found too flimsy. . I also replaced the control horn with a better one. The rudder only uses 1 metal rods. Being a twin elevator plane the elevator uses two pushrods and servos. Good luck it's a great flying model!

Posted by AndyD on 30/05/2016 22:55:49:

heres one ive not seen before,3.0 l ford v6 enginebonnerchip-1_zps35ed38db.jpg

That brings back memories - I remember reading about it in the late 70s early 80s (Pilot magazine or Flight?) and I have a vague recollection that it stated that Bill Bonner (the converter) had a batch of blocks cast in light alloy. Although Ford America did do a 3.9l V6 with an alloy block at one time I have seen references to it being the "Essex" engine - as fitted to my much loved (and hated at times!) - Scimitar. I can't see much resemblence other than the 3 exhaust ports per side (unlike the later Cologne 2.9l) but the carburation (turbocharged on the Bonner version) and ignition systems would have been completely different anyway plus the reduction gears give it a very different look.

It would make an interesting model variant though - throw away the rather non-scale Black Horse cowling and knock up a replacement and radiator...

This page has some details from the horse's mouth...

More here.

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/06/2016 23:59:32

Posted by AndyD on 01/06/2016 22:29:19:

colours of Hull uas 1961 squadron(me just being born,think i need a restoration as well)im after info on the cowl badge,cant find any pictures,it differs from what i can find yorh etc8060166200_512f8e1211_k.jpg

I just did a search and came up with this page: **LINK**

If you send them a nice email saying your modelling the above airframe, I'm sure they'll send you a Squadron zap (RAF-speak for a sticker / badge) or a photo of.

003.jpg004.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpgPosted by Timothy Harris 1 on 03/06/2016 23:45:50:

a single metal rod bent at one end to form the tail wheel and a 90degree bend on the other inserted into the rudder are used on this model. This metal rod is controlled by a control horn in side the rear fuselage box cover. I replaced the kits own thin gauge wire with a heavier gauge . I glued it in the rudder when I fitted it and bent the tail wheel shape lastly when all was fitted. The standard kit wire guage I found too flimsy. . I also replaced the control horn with a better one. The rudder only uses 1 metal rods. Being a twin elevator plane the elevator uses two pushrods and servos. Good luck it's a great flying model!

thx Tim i think my earlier one was how you say but this as a single rod/hinge pin in the way,the instructions say about fitting tail wheel assembly and fitting the rudder but nothing about joining the two together,and ive got no bits left over,the hinge wire is olso on the thin side to notch for the grub screws to stop the twisting motion.009.jpg

Posted by Martin Harris on 03/06/2016 23:49:47:
Posted by AndyD on 30/05/2016 22:55:49:

heres one ive not seen before,3.0 l ford v6 enginebonnerchip-1_zps35ed38db.jpg

That brings back memories - I remember reading about it in the late 70s early 80s (Pilot magazine or Flight?) and I have a vague recollection that it stated that Bill Bonner (the converter) had a batch of blocks cast in light alloy. Although Ford America did do a 3.9l V6 with an alloy block at one time I have seen references to it being the "Essex" engine - as fitted to my much loved (and hated at times!) - Scimitar. I can't see much resemblence other than the 3 exhaust ports per side (unlike the later Cologne 2.9l) but the carburation (turbocharged on the Bonner version) and ignition systems would have been completely different anyway plus the reduction gears give it a very different look.

It would make an interesting model variant though - throw away the rather non-scale Black Horse cowling and knock up a replacement and radiator...

This page has some details from the horse's mouth...

More here.

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/06/2016 23:59:32

whos going to be first to do one,the more i look at it the more it grows on you.

Posted by Darrell Woodward on 04/06/2016 05:29:48:
Posted by AndyD on 01/06/2016 22:29:19:

I just did a search and came up with this page: **LINK**

If you send them a nice email saying your modelling the above airframe, I'm sure they'll send you a Squadron zap (RAF-speak for a sticker / badge) or a photo of.

why cant i ever find these things when i search (no replys lol) i already know.

annoyed thats an understatment,super glued the light covers on then with out thinking sprayed the activator on it,dont no what to do now as you cant spray over it as it just bleeds back through,looks like a recovering job,

nice days flying sort of as one batterys puffed for no reason and my new battery checker/watt meter as given up as well telling me ive got a dead cell on all my batterys.time to look more closely at 123s or go back to petrol,maybe not.001.jpg