Information required please

Phil May

092.jpgGood morning fellow loons 😆

I wonder if anyone is able to help.

I'm after as much information about a model I'm about to aquire, a Leicester Models F4 Phantom.

It is approximately 4' span with foam wing and with a fibre glass fusalage.

I think it was originally designed for power flight.

I've looked on line but keep turning a blank.

Advert

Your model looks like it was either built fully as a static model or was intended for ducted fans. Are there any cut outs? It might have even been intended for slope.

The only searches that come out with anything used a OS 60 with tuned pipe or a 2 stroke 90 up front. **LINK**

It was released in 1986 by the Leicester Model Centre & is typical of the numerous foam wing & fibreglass fuselage models produced by a proliferation of cottage industry producers of that era. LMC's main product of the time were the Gnatty series of trainers inspired, very loosely, by the Folland Gnat. They also did a Tucano, Mirage, Harrier & Hawk all (including the Phantom) with tractor 2 stroke glow engines in the front.

I never made or flew the Phantom so can only quote from a contemporary advert: 'Phantom F4K 48" span model for .45 - .60 engines. Fully aerobatic in the hands of an expert but so stable it can be flown as a follow on from any low wing trainer. Kit contents included glass fibre fuselage, veneered foam wings canopy etc etc. Cost £75.'

Not sure if the Trade Descriptions Act was in force at the time however!

Thanks guys.

It had the air intakes open but have been blanked with balsa and the exhaust out lets are open so maybe it was planned for EDF.

I don't see any sign of old fixing points inside for motor mounts etc so maybe she has always been used on the slopes...Who knows.

Andy,

it will have, to the best of my ability, a detailed cockpit with a pair of pilots. Just need to find some decent photos and work out how to build one.

It is going to have a colour change and not yet sure what route to go down....maybe RAF but then again I'm sure the Blue Angels flew them.