2 part clear lacquer in a spray can

stuey

I noticed on another forum that a guy has used a 2 part clear lacquer in a spray can as a fuel proofer over a painted finish. I have not seen this product before, you push the base in on the bottom of the can to allow the two parts to mix before use. I was under the impression that two part lacquers are better at resisting fuel, especially glow. Has anyone else tried one of these products? It would be less hassle than spraying for those short on time or equipment.

Advert

For information, we have a huge task fuelproofing for a number of reasons and the big clue is in the name NITRO.

One of the most effective paint strippers on the market is NITROMORS which is a Nitro gel product.

We use Nitro for paintstripping, and at the same time it is an effective fuel addative.

Regular brush on model fuelproofers are both protective and cost effective, and chemically designed to do the job.

As has been said, "2 part" often means twice the cost and does, but sprays go airbourne and need masking.

Take your choice, both work, but big price difference.

We used to have aerocote and the other almost identical one (can't remember the name,) It was sold by Ripmax and it was the same stuff as Furniglass Hardset. Best fuel proofers going. I wonder what happened to them?

They were two part and could be brushed or sprayed. I used to airbrush them onto solid models for a high gloss finished.

Just remembered, Ripmax sold Tufcote.

Edited By Peter Miller on 10/06/2016 08:16:02

Posted by Peter Miller on 10/06/2016 08:12:22:

We used to have aerocote and the other almost identical one (can't remember the name,) It was sold by Ripmax and it was the same stuff as Furniglass Hardset. Best fuel proofers going. I wonder what happened to them?

Banned under Elfin Safety, as I recall! Same with Kingston Diamond polyurethane paint, I think. Modern equivalents are still available, but they are nowhere near as effective as the originals.

I finished my "KingPin" with brushed on Solarlac, which has given a decent finish and, so far, seems to be pretty good at fuel resistance. But the engine in that model runs on "straight" fuel - no nitro - which probably helps....

--

Pete

Stuey, at the end of the day, there is no alternative to proper kit, and the time of learn its use. Spay cans are always going to be small job oriented, and a source of regret when a larger job is attempted. Two pack stuff tends to be better than single pack products. And cost more, and are more trouble to use. But I ask myself, is this plane going to last long enough for me to regret not doing the best fuel proofing job available. Depends on the plane, and should be a brain, not heart, decision.

And Denis, I don't know where Nitromors got its name, but it has nothing to do with nitromethane in its content. I recall it was a dichloro hydrocarbon, methanol and white spirit. The dichloro hydrocarbon was elf and safetied some time back, probably at the same time it ceased to work as well.

Edited By Donald Fry on 10/06/2016 09:59:04