Which taranis?

David perry 1

Advert

There seems to be quite a bit of backwards compatibility if you are prepared to work with opentx. My point though was that if you are NOT prepared or able to do this, then things do seem to have settled down such that buying a fully compatible taranis combo off the shelf is now easy. That's what I did, so those who are put off by the apparently complex situation can now buy with co defence. Or so it seems. The trick is to buy LBT stuff. T9 makes it very clear. Buy all LBT and they'll all talk to each other.

D

Edited By David perry 1 on 20/06/2016 15:08:08

Re D, V and X series receivers - I have a number of each, the V and D series are legacy from when I used FrSky modules with Futaba FF7, 8 and 9s. Would I buy V or D series now? No, why would I? For the extra couple of pounds I'd rather have the extra features of X series receivers, particularly the telemetry facilities ans S-bus.

As far as I'm aware, if you clear the 'EU' box in Companion settings it should download a version of OpenTX which will enable D8 support, or have things changed again in the last month or so? I thought the proposed region lock only affected the XJT module firmware (LBT/non-LBT), not OpenTX?

True, and whilst 18 quid isnt as cheap as the five quid I buy Orange Rxs for from Hl, its a lot less than I might have had to pay for a branded 35MHz Rx long ago.

On that...just trying to bind a new model to my trusty old FF( only to find that either the Spekky module or the FF9 has gone to the scrap yard...it will not send sensible signals at all. Im glad I bought the Taranis...gonna need it sooner than I thought.

Also just received my Blaster 3 DLG from Hyperflight...this is one very nice model!

David

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 20/06/2016 15:17:24:

Re D, V and X series receivers - I have a number of each, the V and D series are legacy from when I used FrSky modules with Futaba FF7, 8 and 9s. Would I buy V or D series now? No, why would I? For the extra couple of pounds I'd rather have the extra features of X series receivers, particularly the telemetry facilities ans S-bus.

As far as I'm aware, if you clear the 'EU' box in Companion settings it should download a version of OpenTX which will enable D8 support, or have things changed again in the last month or so? I thought the proposed region lock only affected the XJT module firmware (LBT/non-LBT), not OpenTX?

The region lock does not affect OpenTX.

Posted by PatMc on 20/06/2016 14:47:39:

I think I'm right in saying that D series & V8 version 2 Rxs could still be used with a new Taranis equipped with the addition of a DJT module that costs around £20.

Nope, the DJT is illegal to sell here now under current ETSI regs. They've actually been illegal to sell since Jan 2015; how they remained available at certain suppliers for so long is somewhat of a mystery...

You can still do that in OpenTX, but the TXs that are shipping to dealers now no longer have D8 mode in the RF module firmware, and that firmware itself can no longer be upgraded by anyone but a main dealer. As a result you can probably take one of these new TXs and flash it with an appropriate version of OpenTX that makes it look like D8 is there, but try and bind with a D or V8 mk2 RX and you will get nothing.

In that case I'll be leaving mine on ROW non-LBT for as long as the transmitter lasts! Looking through my menagerie I have quite a few models on D8R, D6R, D4R and V8R II.

Is it a new version of LBT in the latest EU Taranis versions or has LBT never supported D8 regardless of whether OpenTX appears offer it as an option?

Posted by MattyB on 20/06/2016 19:52:55:
Posted by PatMc on 20/06/2016 14:47:39:

I think I'm right in saying that D series & V8 version 2 Rxs could still be used with a new Taranis equipped with the addition of a DJT module that costs around £20.

Nope, the DJT is illegal to sell here now under current ETSI regs. They've actually been illegal to sell since Jan 2015; how they remained available at certain suppliers for so long is somewhat of a mystery...

But if the retailers are still selling them what's to stop anyone who wants to fit one ?
BTW, they're still listed by T9 & BRC.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 20/06/2016 20:55:38:

In that case I'll be leaving mine on ROW non-LBT for as long as the transmitter lasts! Looking through my menagerie I have quite a few models on D8R, D6R, D4R and V8R II.

Is it a new version of LBT in the latest EU Taranis versions or has LBT never supported D8 regardless of whether OpenTX appears offer it as an option?

I have a version of LBT (XJT_LBT_build151223.frk) dated Feb 2016 in my early version Taranis using OpenTx 2.1.8.
This supports D8 no problem, I use my Taranis to fly 6 models with either D series or V8-II Rxs.

I don't think the above version of LBT firmware (for both Tx & Rx) is available from FrSky but it might still be via OpenRC forum.
I've kept my own copies of the firmware if you want to convert.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 21/06/2016 09:43:50:

Google found it on FrSky's site Pat, but the .frk file is dated 23/12/2015. Oddly enough the readme.doc is considerably later.

Bob, is this the page Google found ?

If so, even though it states version 151223 the actual download gives you version 151118 which I think is the version without D8 mode support.

PS. I think the Feb 16 date I quoted was my installation date not the file build date.

Edited By PatMc on 21/06/2016 11:33:29

That's the page but the downloaded .RAR file contains XJT_LBT_build151223.frk 67584 bytes dated 23-12-2015.When I get a minute tomorrow I'll try loading it as I have a D8R-II+ setup on hand.  If it works I'll make sure to keep the .frk somewhere safe!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 21/06/2016 20:52:51

RAR and ZIP both attempt to compress files but a secondary use is to combine multiple files into a single entity for transmission. As the .FRK is a binary file it won't have much white space or repetetive characters to compress so it ain't going to shrink much at all. Add in the accompanying README.DOC file and whatever code the compression algorithm inserts to aid verifying, decompressing and separating the contents then you get a 70K file.

Posted by MattyB on 20/06/2016 19:57:12:

You can still do that in OpenTX, but the TXs that are shipping to dealers now no longer have D8 mode in the RF module firmware, and that firmware itself can no longer be upgraded by anyone but a main dealer. As a result you can probably take one of these new TXs and flash it with an appropriate version of OpenTX that makes it look like D8 is there, but try and bind with a D or V8 mk2 RX and you will get nothing.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 20/06/2016 20:55:38:

Hmm, I think you may have got the the wrong end of the stick... Apologies if I confused things here. Let me try and be clear (not I admit an easy thing to do when discussing FrSky RF firmware...!):

• The latest set of ETSI reg changes implemented this month require manufacturers to actively prevent users from flashing non-compliant RF firmware to all newly sold TXs and other 2.4GHz equipment (wireless routers etc). For more information on these changes click here.
  • If you were to buy a new TX or FrSky XJT module in the EU today it will be "region locked" to the EU LBT firmware and X series RXs, and will not feature D8 mode. That means irrelevant of what you change on the OpenTX side you are not able to flash the RF module (internal or external) yourself - any future change in regulations that requires a change to the RF module firmware will require a trip back to a FrSky premium dealer like T9. FrSky appear to have effected this limit in hardware or in a part of the firmware that is not accessible via the usual module flashing process, so at this time there is no workaround for those who want D8 mode on their new TX to use with their older RXs. This limitation will also be required to apply to the Horus when it finally emerges, hopefully later this year.
  • If you have a FrSky TX bought prior to March/April 2016 you are able to flash the RF firmware yourself. That means whatever version of the RF firmware you have now, if you want it you can have Int'l or EU LBT, both with D8 mode. This requires some careful config in Companion when flashing, but as far as we are aware this is always possible on these older units with no exceptions. Given they seem to have implemented the region lock in hardware rather than software on the newest TXs it is highly unlikely that the ability to flash RF modules on older TXs will ever be eliminated.
  • It appears that the latest ETSI changes have not altered the situation for receivers, presumably because their low transmission power for telemetry means they fall outside the regulations. This means even the latest X series RXs remain firmware upgradeable in the EU, and that if you have an older TX you will continue to be able to buy RXs for it and reflash them with the firmware of your choice to match that in your TX (I flashed a brand new X6R marked EU LBT to Int'l only this week; worked absolutely fine).

Fingers crossed there are no glaring errors in the above - hope it helps!

Edited By MattyB on 22/06/2016 11:54:43

Cheers for clarifying that Matty, it did sound at first as though teh LBT firmware itself was no longer allowing D8.

Tony, the early V series will not work, but V8R-II and the micro receiver (whichever that is) should be OK as they can be bound in D8 mode. The 'old' V series haven't been available for a long time!

Posted by MattyB on 22/06/2016 11:51:22:

• It appears that the latest ETSI changes have not altered the situation for receivers, presumably because their low transmission power for telemetry means they fall outside the regulations. This means even the latest X series RXs remain firmware upgradeable in the EU, and that if you have an older TX you will continue to be able to buy RXs for it and reflash them with the firmware of your choice to match that in your TX (I flashed a brand new X6R marked EU LBT to Int'l only this week; worked absolutely fine).

Fingers crossed there are no glaring errors in the above - hope it helps!

Edited By MattyB on 22/06/2016 11:54:43

How can the receivers have a lower transmission power? If they did then it would be impossible for them to return low and critical RSSI warnings. I wonder if they are not included because they do not initiate the signal, but respond to a signal from the transmitter.

Well it has arrived.

What can I say? I ordered the combo with the eva case and it exceeds my expectations many times over. The switch on audio, 'welcome to open tx' is loud and clear, the screen is bright and clear and (importantly more and more for me old peepers) BIG. Switch on switch warning is clever.

Happy bunny.

D