Essential RC at Weston Park International Model Show 2016

Advert

Hi Dom, I always enjoy watching your videos and saw how hard you were working on Saturday to get these shots. I was tring to get some video shots of my own and so realise how hard it is with the fast moving stuff to keep them in frame. My camcorder doesn't have a through the lens eye piece so I struggle to view what I'm filming with the pullout screen. Would you recommend a camcorder with through the lens eye piece? Would it make filming any easier considering I wear reading glasses?

Nev.

Thanks for the kind words Nev. It was a long day and exhausting but opportunities like Weston are rare so I made the most of it. Regards camcorder a viewfinder is a must. LCD screens are useless outside in sunlight. I am short sighted myself but because of that I don't need to wear my glasses when looking through the viewfinder. Even a viewfinder is not usable for very very fast stuff like the 600kmh turbine wing or the SAB 3D helis when up close. I just hold the cam, point and hope. Not being big headed but it does take some practice to get good results. It's important to keep the cam close to your body and move your body to pan rather than your hands. The cam should have image stabilisation. Panasonic are always good for that. 1080P at 50fps is minimum for RC I think. 60fps is optimum. Lower frame rates and the action won't look smooth. I use a Panasonic HC-X900. It's 4 year old tech now but still just good enough for YouTube. Give it another 1-2 years and 4K 60fps will be the standard but you need to pay £3K for that type of cam at the moment. I think you can probably pick up a 2nd hand HC-X900 for £350. Hope that helps.

Edited By Dom (Essential RC) on 21/06/2016 18:34:34

Edited By Dom (Essential RC) on 21/06/2016 18:35:18

Thanks for the advice Dom, I will endeavour to put some of your tips into practice.

The camcorder I have been using is a Panasonic HC W570. I'm happy with the picture quality and zoom but wish it had a through the lens eye piece.

Do you intend to visit Cosford model show? If you are I expect I will see you working hard and look forward to seeing the results.

Nev.