Verhees Delta

Max Z

No secrets here Tobias! I did not notice your post, that is all.

The repair work to my Verhees Delta is almost complete, I am finishing the cowling right now, and then I have to balance it again. The airfoil is an MH-92 with (quite some) liberties taken aft of the aileron hinge line and a fair bit of twist towards the tip. I established the the CG graphically, using the area's of the plan view, both with and without the ailerons.

cgvd.jpg

More test flying will be next, but as I said before the behavior so far is promising, the crash was entirely my own fault.

And yes, somewhere in the future there will be an RCM&E plan (if it will be accepted by mr. Ashby and crew).

Max.

• 4 weeks later...
Advert

Today we tested the second prototype, built and flown by my friend Rob. Mine is ready and has flown yesterday (no video). All is well, but we are both struggling a bit to get the CG in the right place. Rob has managed it better than me, but he had to sacrifice bits of the cockpit interior to get the battery up front. We are looking for the best compromise, we'll get there.

https://youtu.be/Lw9ytQn6jqM

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 20/01/2017 20:37:10

Some more flying today, managed to take some shots of mine:

Actually, there was about twice as much footage, but most of it had the plane so far in the distance that it's just boring to watch. I am a bit disappointed about the little camera that I bought as a hatcam. Mind you, I think the quality is quite good but the lens has a too wide field of vision. I am hoping that other lenses become available soon.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 22/01/2017 19:22:00

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bart Verhees treated us on an unannounced flyby of our model flying field, very impressive! The shape is unmistakeable, and I was alerted by my fellow club members who started to shout: "hey, that is that thing that Max designed a model of!" teeth 2

Max.

• 1 month later...

The V-Deltas are coming! Keep an eye out for the August issue of RCM&E.

chasing.jpg

And before anyone asks; this picture is 'shopped. They are actual flying shots of Rob's and mine, but we never got them that close in front of the camera, let alone both in focus........

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 06/06/2017 14:54:23

• 1 year later...
Posted by MattyB on 20/03/2019 08:52:57:

Fancy a v2 Max? smiley

Hi Matty,

Thanks for posting the piccies and vids, I had not seen those yet. Designing a V2, hmmmm....

I did go to a presentation of the design aspects of the V2 by Bart Verhees last year, hoping that he would fly in either version or at least trailer it in, but alas, weather conditions prevailed.

An interesting presentation nevertheless, where my model was the (static) demonstrator smiley

Max.

Posted by MattyB on 20/03/2019 08:52:57: It's big enough to sleep in

That, and as Bart told us at the presentation, you can slide in head first and inspect the rudder control mechanism without the need for an external inspection opening. idea

Max.

Posted by Max Z on 20/03/2019 13:27:34:
Posted by MattyB on 20/03/2019 08:52:57: It's big enough to sleep in

That, and as Bart told us at the presentation, you can slide in head first and inspect the rudder control mechanism without the need for an external inspection opening. idea

Max.

Genius! teeth 2

• 3 years later...

Hi Max.

I'm happily building the kit version of the delta and very much enjoying the experience.

I am learning about aerodynamics as I go (hence this low aspect ratio craft) and I notice that you are using the MH 92 airfoil, which as far as I can tell is intended for hang gliders. Obviously it works well, but I'm wondering what led you to choose this particular airfoil?

Not a very sophisticated choice, it just looked about right compared with the original. And as you say it performs well.

Interestingly: as you can see it is a cambered airfoil, but I had an opportunity to meet and speak to Bart Verhees, the designer/builder of the original, and he said he used a non-cambered airfoil!

Nice to hear from someone building the kit. I am still flying it on occasion, and the only real concern with it is the vulnerability of the nose gear. As our flying field is frequented by rabbits and moles it is now riddled with holes in places, and if you are unlucky and catch one (the hole that is), the l/g breaks away easily. I also had two of the printed legs break when landed hard, so I now have installed a more traditional (but less scale) bent wire leg. I still have to test that though.

Cheers,

Max.

Edited by Max Z

• 1 month later...

The airfoil certainly works for me! I have been looking for a fairly low speed aircraft with generous amounts of room inside for various FPV and control gear, and the delta is looking perfect for the job. It even has a good size rudder for a long vertical antenna. Nice, very nice.

I have not flown it yet, but it is getting close to completion. I've been building a Prandtl wing along with the Verhees, and it is getting towards summer weather around here so I'm looking forward to flying both. I know what you mean about undercarriage, and to tell the truth I substituted a simple skid. I don't trust my abilities to land without breaking stuff so the area that would have housed the retract is going towards a larger battery.

And on that subject, I didn't realise that the short kit doesn't include plans. Where did you eventually place the CG?