Verhees Delta

Max Z

OK, I promised some more pictures. I am not going to make excuses anymore for being slow, that is just the way it is (or I am...). Here goes:

The tailwheel fairing cum steering servo hatch:

verheesdelta24.jpg

verheesdelta25.jpg

verheesdelta26.jpg

As you can see, the forward part of the fairing is glued to the hatch.

I fitted out the cockpit with a pilot and an instrument panel and made a start with the covering process, starting with the cockpit/battery hatch, the fin and the rudder:

verheesdelta27.jpg

verheesdelta28.jpg

verheesdelta29.jpg

The sunshield (for want of a better word) is only a mock-up, I plan to use the same material (self sticking alloy foil) and stick it to the outside of the windshield which will run all the way to the top. I am dreading the moment of gluing this windshield, if I use instant glue or even contact glue there is every chance of getting it crooked I am afraid. But if I would use a slow setting glue there is the problem of fixing it to the side sills, even when I pull it tight towards the back of the cockpit it tends to bow out. We will see.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 23/08/2016 15:37:41

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin, so you saw it "in the flesh". I never did, I am working from pictures I found on the net. But I have a question for you about the color scheme (just to check if you paid attention..wink): I am in the covering process of my model. Now, the majority is bare aluminium sheeting, and I found this covering material to mimic that. But the few coloured decorations that there are give me a little problem, are those stripes really orange or are they dayglo-red? From personal experience I know that those fluo-reflective colors often show up quite different on a photograph. Can you shed some light on that?

Max.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by MattyB on 28/09/2016 22:52:57:

Have you got any further with this one Max?

Hi Matty,

I've been away for a while to take part in THIS, so the answer is no, no more progress since my last post.

@Martin: thanks for your reply, I'll just use the stuff I have, which is somewhere between bright red/orange and fluo.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 30/09/2016 19:05:15

Posted by Max Z on 30/09/2016 19:02:26:

Hi Matty,

I've been away for a while to take part in THIS, so the answer is no, no more progress since my last post.

Apologies, I had not made the connection that it was you who had posted about the Bleriot commemorative flight. Congratulations, a great achievement!

OK, this is the state it is in now, and after fitting the battery and ESC it will be ready for its maiden voyage. That is, if I can get the CoG within the calculated range. Total weight including the battery is now 940 grams, which is not too bad compared with the 890 grams I calculated. If adding the ESC and probably some ballast keeps it under 1 kg I am happy (works out to approx. 40 g/dm2).

Comparing it with the real thing showed that I have made an error somewhere in the fin dimensions sad. Oh well, some work to be done on the drawings. Let's see how it flies first.

verheesdelta30.jpg

verheesdelta31.jpg

verheesdelta32.jpg

verheesdelta33.jpg

You know, those alu style coverings show up every imperfection without mercy surprise

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 04/10/2016 10:31:29

The CoG measurements are a bit disappointing, I have to add some 130-135 g directly behind the firewall to get it to balance within the range I did calculate. The main problem is the battery location. My original plan was to locate it partly above the nose wheel retract, but I did not have enough room there so I had to relocate it behind the retract bay. Now I have to place some lead ballast above the retract bay. I will try to get it further forward in the motor bay to lose some of the extra weight needed.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 04/10/2016 17:18:26

My Verhees Delta has flown! Sorry Ton, too late to do the maiden but thanks for the offer. I decided that today had to be the day, very calm and sunny conditions, the field has been mowed really short yesterday and rolled as well, so I had no excuses left.

Taxying went well, good steering and excellent behavior of the OD springy nose leg.

With moral support from Rob, I accelerated and took off without hassle smileysmiley. Only two clicks down required to fly level, the tips of the ailerons are now barely above the wing surface. I had reduced the throws considerably already, but had to reduce them even more for the next flight. On the first I did not retract the nose gear, and the CoG seemed to be in the right location, having jammed a 60 g weight just behind the motor (no points for GEP, but it worked). On the second flight I did retract the nose gear, but that moved the CoG rearwards and control became uncomfortable. So I lowered the gear straight away to regain full control again. The landings were a bit bumpy, but I put that down to unfamiliarity. I have to learn to bring it in slower and pull the nose up to land tail first I guess.

Rob has taken some footage, as soon as he has put it on the net I will provide a link.

I will add some more weight up front before the next session, hopefully that will get it flying ok with the wheel up.

All in all, above my expectations!laugh

Max.

Sorry guys, not much to look at, but here is the first ever take off of my delta. The rest is not worth looking at, too far away. I guess I was too nervous to fly it low and close..face 8

I guess I overcontrolled it a bit in the first turn......

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 12/10/2016 20:52:45

• 3 weeks later...

Some pictures of the Delta in its finished livery:

vd_ready1.jpg

vd_ready2.jpg

vd_ready3.jpg

vd_ready4.jpg

I made two flights yesterday, the last one ending with a rather hard landing. My fault entirely, I came in in a rather steep glide, and forgot to get a bit of power back on to flare it. Some repairs were in order, but most of it has been done already. Minor woodwork required to glue it all back in position. The nose gear was bent and knocked out of position, so I had to dismantle that and take the retract unit apart to straighten the leg. One thing it proved is that those 3D-printed parts are very strong!

I have attempted to make a better video, alas, again not worth looking at. Still trying.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 30/10/2016 08:21:28

• 2 weeks later...

Posted by Stephen Jones on 09/11/2016 23:20:47:

You have Done a Cracking job on the Verhees Delta BT

In more than one way by now, I am afraid Steve. Nothing to do with the flying qualities of the model, they are just fine. But a combination of a low autumn sun and my not so great agility on the sticks was too much, I flew right through it, was temporarily blinded and when I regained sight it was pointing straight down at low altitude crook

It hit a soft bank of the ditch that runs along the length of our field, so it is not a total loss, the motor and firewall have broken away and there is damage on several points along the leading edge. But it requires stripping the covering from large areas (and I hate that). I am working on it.........sad

But thanks for the compliments. Yes I can see the resemblance with the Lippisch P13a. And if you are looking for the origin of the expression "Jet Jockey", that is it right there!

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 10/11/2016 08:32:55

Max, i know where you are coming from i have been their myself. Fast Small silver models are hard to keep track of in a patchy sky.

My best advice is to reduce the control rate to a more sedate LOW rate, reduce the prop size .

Get the model airworthy don't worry about the cosmetics just get it flying and chose a nice clear day be mindful of where the sun is and if possible position yourself so that the sun is behind you .

Fly something you are already happy flying and throw it about then fly the Demon Delta that way you're reflexes will be ready for it . and you're confidence will be restored.

I am sure the model will fly nice on the right settings.

Good Luck, Steve smile d

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I'm new in here and I'm german. So please be forgiving my bad english...

Is there a plan of this model available? Or some drawings? What is the airfoil? Where is the CG on this very interesting plane?

I want to built it a little bit larger (maybe 1:5) in the future, when I finished my current projects...

Thanks for Informations

Tobias.