Is Halfords clear lacquer fuel proof

Advert

Over the years the only fuel proofer I have found to really work is the two pack stuff. Tuffcote or aerocote. Recently tried water based varnish and a well known make of fuel proofer Synthetic oil based glow fuel went straight through both.

However on the question of Halfords stuff. I painted a couple of models with Halfords car spay paint which seems different to stuff like duplicolour etc. I then fuel proofed with tuffcote. The Tuffcote peeled off quite rapidly but the fuel did not touch the paint beneath. So is or was the Halfords paint fuel proof

A lot of 'fuel proofer' used to be be repackaged polyurethane varnish. It was pretty good unless applied over white when the yellow tinge could be a problem.

I've found Solarlac Clearcoat the next best thing to a genuine 2K clear, closely followed by Flair Spektrum/Spektra 'Gloss Clear'.

I've used exterior polyurethane varnish thinned 50% with white spirit for the last 10 years. Apply 4 coats 2 hrs between coats allow to cure for at least 4 days, works just fine. Can't use it on the outside of a model though as it has a brown ish hue.

I have tested several makes of water based polyurethane varnish including diamond hard, they are fuel resistant but not fuel proof, if you wash it off immediately after use you may get way with it, but it's not really practical to wash a fire wall. (I placed a few drops of fuel on cured test pieces, after a few days the varnish went soft and sticky.)