first leccie conversion

just spent the afternoon converting a weston cougar 2000 to leccy, I cant believe the amount of ballast I am going to need to get the COG to 115mm from leading edge (googled it) it is going to take about 350g, - does this sound normal

motor was LDPower 3540 130g

lipo 3s 2200

I know I should have checked COG before I started - but I didnt !!!

Advert

An OS 46 at full wack is claimed to deliver 1.63 hp that's 1200 W.

Of course you would not achieve this in normal flight but 800 W would be fairly easy to achieve.

As far as I can tell the LDPower 3540 is a 250W motor used for quad copters.

As Steve has pointed out it sounds like your electrics are quite a bit under specified for a 'like for like' conversion.

ok - so remember Im thick when it comes to leccy

motor is

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=88480

i cant test the watts yet as new meter is still in post

what I can tell you is that is goes really fast across my lawn in ground test with a 3s

just made up lead weights in case I get the a break in weather tomorrow

[Edited for language]

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 02/07/2016 21:57:07

I did a conversion on one of these for a mate a couple of years ago. I don't remember needing any lead - it balanced fine a with a like-for-like power level switch out!

You certanly shouldn't be sticking 350g of dead weight in a model that is only powered by a 3s! That would be suidcide for any prospect of performance!

BEB

I too did a glow to electric conversion on a Weston Cougar 2000 a couple of years back.

Unfortunately I can't look at the model right now for the exact specs because it is packed away for a house move.

However, I recall that the motor is almost certainly a 42mm Hobby King NTM, 60A esc and I use 3600 Ah 4S Turnigy batteries. Power is around 900W and feels much the same as the recommended West glow motor that I replaced. No lead ballast required either.

As an alternative to lead ballast, why not stand the motor off a few centimetres forward of the firewall. Have a look on the 4Max site, his cage mounts are designed for just such a job - they might not look very substantial, but once all the nuts are pulled up tight they're rock solid and more than adequate for the job.

It should certainly fly on 450watts OG but I suspect you will need quite a bit of throttle on most of the time....you are pulling a lot of current out of that battery too.....40-45A for a guess.....thats around 20C which will give you 3 minutes max at full throttle be careful you don't kill the battery by over discharging it....

I have one I converted a couple of years ago using HK G32 motor bolted directly to the firewall, 13x6 or 13x8 prop, 60A esc slung underneath the fuselage between the u/c legs, powered by a 2450mAh 4S battery. With the battery right forward it balances perfectly, no added ballast, flies nicely.

Fly it & see how it feels.....if you're happy with the performance then go for the larger battery & this will increase duration & replace the lead...wink 2

Personally I would go for a 4S set up in a model like this ....remember you can't just swap tge 3S for the 4S without changing something else....at tge very least you'll need a smaller prop