stall recovery

Spice Cat

Do not think the elevator going up would result in result in much if any air brake effect.The braking would come from the increasing drag of the airflow starting to separate from the wing as the stall approach's.

I have an old Seagull AT6 powered by an RCV 60 that can be made to stall at any speed and just about any attitude by applying to much elevator. Handy for demonstrating to newcomers that stalls don't just happen at slow speeds.

Advert

The original post was an HK Skyeye going in on landing more than once. The argument for too forward C Of G was for this lightweight model having problems. Even the full size AT6 had problems with a short nose huge tail.

Google the Skyeye, it is a lightweight with a heavy payload to consider

Denis, an aft C of G not only makes an aircraft pitch sensitive, as you know, but also make stall and spin recovery more difficult, as the stall will be deeper. This is why many full sized aircraft are not cleared for spinning with aft C of Gs. A forward C of G conversely make it more difficult to stall as the elevator tends to run out of authority before the wing actually stalls. That is not to say that you can't stall with an aft C of G, far from it. If full up elevator is being used to maintain the pitch attitude at slow speed with a very forward C of G, the elevator can effectively stall first, so that it is no longer producing a down force on the tail. Result;- the aircraft pitches sharply down (as the C of G is in front of the centre of lift) and the elevator will not become effective again until flying speed has been restored and/or less up elevator is applied. The wing has not in this instance stalled even if it might look like it has and if you are near the ground when it happens you will still crash.

I will now retire to the bunker!

Hi guys

I notice from the original post that the cross wind leg is predominant in this, as I'm sure you all know airspeed, as opposed to ground speed, is affected on this part of the approach. I might be over simplifying things but wouldn't a higher and quicker crosswind leg help before turning into wind for a slightly longer landing leg thereby maintaining airspeed whilst reducing forward penetration.

Sorry if I've missed the finer point of this discussion.

CJ 😀