skyleader 35mghz conversion

HI all, I have the above radio set, mint condition boxed and with invoice. I have seen alot about converting these retro sets to 2.4. What I havnt seen is where to get this done and which is the best make to get it converted to. Can someone give me a company, phone no. email etc please? Also will my skyleader servos be compatible? many thanks keith

I second Andy Green's suggestion for Fr-Sky hack module. I have converted many sets now for club mates etc and all work faultlessly. The Fr-Sky RX's are also excellent value with solid glitch free performance,super range and instantaneous re- boot. Just remember to use a good Rx battery pack especially if you're using digital servos. Rc-life supply all the Fr-Sky range and are UK based.

I am sure the skyleader would lend itself to well conversion using the Frsky hack module although I do feel it is more of a diy exercise than something done commercially. Two other points you raised but I don't have think were answered. No Frsky would not be compatable with Spektrum receivers It may be possible to do a conversion with the insides out of either a n orange module or a dead spekky tx but this is stepping the job up a few levels. A job for the serious experimenter. Are the servos compatable ? Well yes ... But I would not use them they were never great in the first place. I don't know which ones you have but SRC1 I certainly wouldn't used the splines output although I like the linear ones. SRC6 probably lower quality than the cheapest chinese

ones. Very fragile gears I would suggest that if you don't want to convert it yourself get some new batteries in and fly it on 35 MHz. Lovely radio as it is

I doubt anyone would want to take on such a conversion as a commercial enterprise, not in today's litigious society and considering the testing and approvals required. I'd imagine that in any case the cost for a professional conversion would probably come near the price of a modern transmitter! IIRC Skyleader didn't use the common 3 pin connectors in current use for servo leads so that rules out using the receiver and modern servos without some degree of DIY to make up adaptor leads.

Don't forget that the batteries will have been sitting maybe 20 years uncharged, at the very least check for black wire corrosion in the switch harness and in the transmitter.

Personally I'd polish it up and put it on display in your modelling den.

A number of points about this:

1) The FrSky "hack" module is a brilliant way of updating ageing equipment for sentimental or "retro" reasons - but snap one up quick! Changes in the EU regulations for 2.4 GHz mean that no new DHT modules can be imported. Only those currently in the supply chain can be sold. Once the current stock is gone, they are gone! (I've already stockpiled a few!)

2) Installing a "Hack" module is fairly simple for anyone versed in basic electronics and soldering. Most of the older generation of RC modellers would have no problem with this, as they would be used to soldering connectors, or even making their own gear from either kits or scratch! However, its not something that should be attempted by anyone without some experience! Mike Ridley is very good at this sort of thing, but also very much in demand!

3) There is no reason why 35 MHz gear cannot be used in complete safety, so it isn't really necessary to convert 35 MHz gear - unless you really want to! The band is almost empty these days, and there are many channels available - more channels in fact than most clubs have members, so there is no reason why each club member should not have his own frequency. Peg boards for frequency control - properly used - provide very good assurance of safety. It just requires a little discipline! (2.4 GHz has made us VERY lazy!)

4) Having said that, at the very least, all the battery packs should be replaced in equipment of that age, and the wiring and switch harnesses checked for corrosion.

5) It should be possible to either fit modern servos with the older connectors, or fit modern connectors to the older receiver. Servo performance has improved dramatically since these sets were made, and prices have tumbled as well.

So, in short, if you really want to convert, it isn't difficult, but don't hang about! Otherwise, replace the battery packs, get it checked out by a reputable service man, and fly it as it is!

One final alternative: advertise it for sale. One of the "retro" enthusiasts will probably make you a good offer for a pristine set, and you can use the proceeds to buy a new set on 2.4 GHz, with all the advantages that modern technology can offer.

smiley

--

Pete

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I think after all this I will keep it on 35 and get 2 sqaure packs of receiver batteries to insert and see how it goes. I dont want to sell as it was given to me by uncle. Used only a couple of times in his care. Its boxed with everything in it, (skyleader stickers receipts etc.purchased from skyleader radio control in croydon 1982 for £131.40. btw I also have a full boxed set but 4 channel 27meg. also mint except batteries. But this is destined for my 1960`s veron RTTL.

When I saw in the mag about all these conversions I thought it was a simple thing of just buying a 2.4 tranny and taking all the bits out and putting it inside the set to be converted. Didnt realise you had to be an electronics wizard.sad thanks again to all for the advice, as they say if it aint broke dont touch it. Will let everyone know how I get on. keith

Posted by thunderstreak.keith on 15/07/2016 07:25:06:

I think after all this I will keep it on 35 and get 2 sqaure packs of receiver batteries to insert and see how it goes.

Remember to change the Tx pack as well! And DO check both receiver and transmitter for the dreaded "black wire" corrosion!

The corrosion may not be a problem if its been stored in a warm, dry place and not frequently charged. But check for it anyway!

Best of luck with your project!

--

Pete

I also still use 35Mhz occasionally with my Multiplex 3030 and high quality Multiplex IPD receivers with no problems. The only thing that does concern me a little is that people have got so used to switching on transmitters without checking that if anyone's using their channel that there could be problems. The band is pretty quiet these days though. I wonder if we'll lose it? RF spectrum is very valuable.

Geoff

I hope so too! We often forget that 2.4 GHz is a shared band - its not ours exclusively - and is likely to become evermore congested. Spread Spectrum is pretty good at interference rejection, but ultimately, if the signal doesn't get through, no end of clever coding is going to save you!

I think its a while off yet, but I can foresee 2.4 GHz eventually going the way of 27 MHz, which was also a shared band.

So keep using 35 MHz if you can! If we don't use it, we will lose it!

--

Pete

peter,its ok, rcv pack is sorted, (sq pack fits inside the old plastic skyleader box ) the tranny though is 2 x 4.8v palts. I saw an article in model boats and apparently the charger puts two 4.8v to the tranny and a seperate lead for the rcv. but I will be charging my packs with my rcv-6sp charger. as for the black lead syndrome, have changed the rcv leads but not yet checked the tranny leads . when completed will post some fotos of an old retro working set. (hopefully)

I think its a while off yet, but I can foresee 2.4 GHz eventually going the way of 27 MHz, which was also a shared band.

I don't think I share your concerns there Peter . The technicalities of the 2.4 encoding etc is so complex that as modelers we still try to think "in the old money"

The biggest quantum leap and improvement in our radio was the switch from AM to FM on 27MHz . Whereas on AM the wanted signal needed to be as much a 50 times stronger than the interfering signal to prevent interference the wanted FM signal only needed to be twice as strong to dominate.

With 2.4 we have stepped up a couple of more notches in our security with frequency hopping every few mili seconds and encoding ensuring that the rx will only respond to the one tx. . The situation whereby other signals of sufficient strength to block the required ones on sufficient frequencies to cause trouble is just not feasible.

However I totally agree with the use it or lose it thoughts on 35 MHz I still fly my glow models on 35 and with a good collection of receivers am in no rush to change.

Whatever frequency or whatever make of radio we use the weak link will always be the installation, the power supply and of course the nut on the joystick

apparently the charger puts two 4.8v to the tranny and a seperate lead for the rcv.

Yes a most peculiar arrangement and with the buddy box connectors thrown into the mix with the charge socket I never had the need or the motivation to suss it out I can see no reason why you cannot series the two packs up and charge as one 9v6 pack If however you wish to retain origionality why change, use the existing charger , but take note of the fact modern packs will have higher capacity (allegedly!)

Dont overlook the switch harness and the tx switch when considering black lead or even just general aging Not sure if its possible to get those noble switches though any more

Those servo pots might need a clean as well !

Its been a long time since I looked inside a Skyleader, but if it is one of the genuine Noble switches, I still have a few spares - if that helps.

BTW, I take your point about the relative immunity of 2.4 GHz gear. However, the issue now is that the latest EU specs demand a "Listen Before Transmit" every time the system hops. The issue sooner or later is that the system may not be able to find an empty channel once its up in the air! (The receivers pick up signals from much further afield once in the air)

At least the good old DSM-2 would do this on the ground prior to take-off.

But as I say, this is looking forward a few years, and may never occur at most sites, which tend to be out in the sticks.

--

Pete

Peter

Yep I take your point about LBT, I never thought about that but like you said unlikely to be an issue out in the sticks Who knows what other non radio related isssue that could come up in the future.

Yea I have always believed they are noble switches long multi contact jobbies on both TX and harness.

I have always been impressed with them but I read somewhere that some people dont like them. I know not why I have always thought them far safer than the horrible things we get in even the more expensive radio.

Most of the Noble switches that I've come across have been 4 pole and were usually wired with all 4 poles in parallel. A lot of cheap modern switches seem to rely on a single pole - 1 wiper contact as against 4 with the noble. I don't remember many issues with dodgy switches back then, but that may have been because the models didn't usually last that longlaugh