Prop ballancer which one to buy.

Advert

I agree with Percy that its best not to sand - but to add. But it doesn't have to be fuel proofer though!

I use CA! One drop 1/3rd in from the tip then a quick wipe with your finger towards the tip to smear it (definitely quick though - you don't want to end up stuck to it!)

Electric flyers are more likely to have CA than fuel proofer!

BEB

PS You also get the pleasure of peeling the CA off your finger tip that evening!

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/07/2016 22:31:45

I brought a (cheap) HK magnetic balancer used it until I checked it for true and found the cones were out so after some research brought a Dubro Tru-spin balancer which I have found to be more versatile and of course accurate.

It is capable of balancing props larger than most other balancers i.e. ones in excess of 12inch diameter plus spinners etc. This can be aproblem for magnetic balancers where the clearance between shaft and bed is not great enough.

Link

P.S. Apologies if link does not work but have just changed to Mozilla Firefox so unsure if it worked correctly.

I bought a cheap fingertip balancer to make a magnetic balancer with. The balancer shaft turned out to be stainless steel...

I also use the Du-bro "wheel" type, for its capacity and accuracy.

Re sanding/cutting props, well I always 'dress' moulded props by shaving off the moulding flash and cleaning the seam up with wet and dry before balancing. If the prop is only slightly off-balance, I'm happy to use a 10A blade to scrape the rear face of the heavy blade, which I then polish with wet/dry and or Autosol. If it's badly off, then the light blade gets tape or varnish. Wooden blades get the varnish treatment.

I would highly recommend the Du-bro one. I've used it on my props and my EDF's, and never had a problem.

I use small bits of pvc tape on the back of my props. Before anyone says it....I've never had a piece of tape come off. For my EDF's I use the tape rolled into small 'balls' and then CA to hold it in the hub.

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 22/07/2016 22:24:26