Newquay Airprox

ChrisB

Advert

Well, the fact that they reported it as a near miss means it is to be taken seriously but don't forget that the airprox incident you referred to, in April, "may" have been a plastic bag. It also may not.

Irrespective, the increasing number of incidents reported cannot be blamed on plastic bags alone, not since you have to pay for them now ; the first six months of this year has already beaten the entire number of reports last year.

**LINK**

[Reality check / ON]

The reports in the local press and on TV state that it was "flying alongside" the airliner. Now I'm guessing a small airliner on approach would be traveling at 100+ mph. I'm not aware of any publicly available drone capable of anything like this speed.

I suspect that if it was a drone, it was a lot further away, and traveling a lot slower, than the reports suggest.......

[Reality check / OFF]

--

Pete

KC

The actions of this drone operator are wrong on so many levels. Please refer to CAP 658. Particularly articles 138 and 166.

Article 138 states that

‘A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property'

Article 166 states that ( to paraphrase)

an operator of a small unmanned aircraft shall not operate within a aerodrome traffic zone without the express permission of the air traffic control unit.

The dimensions of an Aerodrome traffic zone (ATZ) are 2 nautical miles from the midpoint of the longest runway and extend to 2000ft above the aerodrome. as the reported incident took place at 900ft and therefore approximately 1nm from the threshold of the runway, the aircraft was probably well within the ATZ

Could I respectfully suggest that you reread the BMFA handbook and CAP 658.

Edited By Crosswind on 11/08/2016 22:39:41

I'm given to understand that the Americans are taking this problem very seriously and Boeing are incorporating the latest anti-drone technology into their new airliner range.

drone 1.jpg

However, due to the current economic climate in the EU, the Germans and British are looking at more cost effective methods.

drone 2.jpg

drone 3.jpg

devil