Brian Taylor Spitfire 69" - build only

Advert

Well I've gone through the laser-cut sheets and I think I might be missing two.

The leading edges of the elevator sections and the associated ribs are all missing. I can't believe that they're not included as every other shaped bit of former, ribs and sheeting is there.

I've dropped a note to Traplet so we'll see.

Anyone else use this parts set from Traplet?

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I decided not to wait for the missing elevator (& fin) parts so I dived into the fuse.

wp_20161020_10_59_36_pro.jpg

wp_20161020_11_02_17_pro.jpg

wp_20161020_11_05_27_pro.jpg

It may not look pretty but it's all in alignment and square.

I bought two copies of the plan so I could cut up one and build over it in separate parts (small building boards sad). This meant I could fit the fuse top view into/under the alignment jig. It made lining up the formers and rear fuse section much easier.

The missing elevator and fin parts arrived yesterday so I'll check that I really do have all the parts and then probably build the fuse and tail feathers in parallel.

So far so good....

• 2 weeks later...

I've not been sitting on my fat backside. The fuse chassis is complete but the rudder and tailplane bits have arrived so I've decided to 'park' the fuse for now and complete the back-end. This will help me sort out how it all fits together at the back. I can't make it our purely from the plan (well not for certain anyway) so I'm expecting it to become clear when I put the talplane, elevator, fin, rudder and fuse together.

wp_20161103_20_14_39_pro.jpg

The tailplane has gone together nicely even if it does look like a porcupine or armadillo (according to my wife) frown.

wp_20161103_12_57_49_pro.jpg

The four quarters of the elevator(s) just need sanding and putting together with the joiner/control bar then it's onto the fin and rudder.

A set of sheets arrived from Traplet supposedly containing all the missing parts. The spines of the elevator sections and the fin and rudder were all there this time along with fin and tailplane ribs. I guess that the elevator ribs aren't provided but that's no real issue and they're triangular anyway. I think there was another sheet still missing as the tailplane tips and the leading edge of the fin sections weren't there either. Still, no big deal but disappointing all the same.

Edited By Nigel Day on 03/11/2016 20:29:38

• 1 month later...

Hi Nigel

I spotted this post a few weeks ago, but have not had chance to get around to replying. Rather spookily I built a Dennis Bryant Chipmunk about 3 years ago - thats my avatar. Sadly, I had a bit of a prang early on when the battery lead disconnected in flight and all control was lost. I rebuilt it from the damage - mostly to the wings - but it never flew as nice as the first couple of flights. The relevance of all this is that I am now nearing completion of the Brian Taylor Mk 1 Spitfire.

It has taken me nearly 18 months, but it is more of a slow burn than a rush job. I am modelling mine on Spitfire Mk 1 N3200 (some may refer to this as Guy Martins Spitfire after the TV programme). I have it all built up and pointed, I just need to work on the exhausts and then fit all the ancillaries (cockpit, tailwheel and refit the retracts). I have found that you need to stand back and use a little intuition on occasion, particular areas where I have deviated from the plan are around the tail and the retract mounts.

The bottom of the tail I have made a removable section on the, mostly to incorporate a steerable tailwheel and allow access to the control runs at the back end. The retracts I wanted to beef up (apologies to Mr Taylor but I fly off grass and I didn't want them to detach at the first opportunity - and yes I do realise that a broken undercarriage is better than a broken wing, and I haven't flown it yet to see how it works!!). I found one of the most tricky aspects has been getting the relationship between the retract, the retracted position of the wheels and some Toe In for the tracking - I still have to fettle with this some more. I also deviated form the plan on the wing mounting, which I simplified somewhat from BTs method, using dowels on the front and 2 wing bolts at the back. I used an aileron servo in each wing, but retained a central servo for the flaps, which I used LIPO and ply for as per the plan.

​I will try and put some photos on here shortly.

I have used Poly C and fibreglass cloth for the wings and fuselage and then painted with Umbral rattle cans in the scene of N3200 - one of the reasons I chose this scheme is that it has a black and white underside to give me plenty of contrast when flying it.

I really can't tell you much more, but as I have yet to 'final assemble' I am not really sure what the final weight and CofG will be, but hopefully more progress will be made over the Christmas break.

I hope you are continuing to progress.

Tim.

Hi Tim and thanks.

Yes, mine's turning out to be a bit of a slow build too. Hopefully I'll get a fair bit more done between now and Xmas. Anything you can add or correct as I go along wouldn't go amiss. smiley

I have managed to get the tail feathers complete since my last posting. I've not glued in the hinges and I'd guess that this is best done after painting? I've not put any snakes or other linkages yet although the elevator does have a joiner and connection for the linkage. It's the same as I and several other used on the Chipmunk.

The covering has been done with tissue and dope (as per Brian's plans) since I had some handy and fancied getting a little high.

wp_20161215_16_37_07_pro.jpg

wp_20161215_16_37_43_pro.jpg

I need to drill a slightly deeper hole for the hinge in the bottom of the rudder but otherwise it's pretty much done.

I was planning to finish the fuse before starting on the wings but someone in one of the blogs elsewhere recommended leaving off the top formers and building the centre wing section first. This way the partly-built fuse can sit on its back and allow the fettling of the wing seat and fairing. Sounds like a good idea so that's what I'll do.

When that's done I'll finish off the fuse and then complete the rest of the wing(s).

In case I don't post any more updates before Xmas, to anyone who's still following, Merry Xmas and Happy New Year. smileyyes

Tally ho!

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more done.

As I mentioned, I'd decided to sort out the wing mount on the fuse before adding the tail feathers and top and bottom formers etc.

Starting with the wing centre section, here's the work so far:

wp_20161222_17_14_15_pro.jpg

The trailing edge was interesting and I suspect that I'll have a bit of fun lining it up with the fairing on the fuse.

wp_20161222_17_14_23_pro.jpg

I've not added the centre section trailing edge yet, nor the leading edge. I'm now moving onto the mounting area and fairings which are causing me a lot of head scratching. I think I've worked out how it all goes together but it's not as straightforward as the Chipmunk, that's for sure!

The bottom sheeting is on and I'm about to do the rear part of the fairing. It's not quite as easy without Mr. DF's step-by-step guides to hand. frown.

Still, I'm getting there and enjoying the challenge.

The Chipmunk wasn't that easy either Nigel

If I remember right it was a case of adding a one bit at a time, seeing how it looked then adding another.

Looking good but you've got me curious as to how that trailing edge is going to work out.

Nev.

You are doing great Nigel, at least Brian's plans are very concise. In my experience all you need is on his plans somewhere, you just have to find the info.

I spent a great deal of time staring at the Taylor Hurricane plans, especialy the centre section underside. Many people miss that the flaps are gently curved, and it isn't until they come to fit the nice straight flaps they have made that the penny drops........ The Spits centre section is more obviously curved, in fact its one of the nicest areas of any aeroplane with a gorgeous curve. Sadly it's quite complex and often left off many Spitfire models

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Nev, Danny.

I can see a fair bit of 'fettling' required on the trailing edge and corresponding bit of fairing. frown

You're right Danny, the curve(s) are gorgeous and one of the key characteristics in my book. Not to be avoided for sure!

I got myself a Revell plastic kit (1/136th scale I think) and built it before I started. Now I have something to reference. cool

• 2 weeks later...

Danny's comments are exactly what happened to me - worse, in fact, as I initially tried to make the flaps in one piece. They worked, but the bending of the wing was probably going to change the lift more than the deflection of the flaps!

So, a bit of fettling in the appropriate place to split the flaps as per the plan and all is well. I haven't captured the "gull wing" effect at all though.

Following my build I found this rather good picture which shows the effect rather nicely.

spitfire gull wing.jpg

I ran my engine yesterday with the fuel tank and all the plumbing installed, CofG next!

Tim

Thanks Tim.

Yes, I found out about the angle in the flaps from the Revell plastic model. The wing was shaped to receive them correctly of course which saved me from making a boo-boo. I did forget to leave off the sheeting from the outer rear panels of the centre section though.

Easily remedied.

The fairing build is nearly finished. I just need to do the sanding and filling. Looking quite decent so far but my fingers are still crossed.

Edited By Nigel Day on 15/01/2017 10:09:05

• 3 weeks later...

Well, mixed results so far with the fairing.

I'm leaving the fine sanding and edges for later but it looks OK from the side and underneath -

wp_20170131_14_18_44_pro.jpg

wp_20170131_14_19_30_pro.jpg

It's from the front that it looks like a dog's breakfast at the moment -

wp_20170131_14_27_59_pro.jpg

wp_20170131_14_28_19_pro.jpg

wp_20170131_14_28_26_pro.jpg

I definitely followed the plan when cutting out the thin lite-ply bottom of the fairing. Even if it were bend further over it still wouldn't fit the leading edge of the centre section correctly. It looks as though the centre section is about 1cm too short - which, according to the plan, it isn't. The plan shows only 1 x 1/2" strip across the front and 2 short pieces in front of that. If I cut the two pieces as short as in the plan, they wouldn't reach the perspex nose section! The ribs match the plan so they're not short. Arrgghhh!

I'm going to leave it for now and see how the two outer wing sections look when put up against the centre section. As a non-expert builder, I've probably missed something.

So, on with the top of the fuse now and to add the tail feathers....