AeroWorks Yak 55m 50cc QB

Rich too

i know I am still putting my Wots Wot together, but I just could not resist getting started on my recent birthday present so here it is.

The hardware appears to be excellent, and the cowl is like a bucket! I'll be using a dle55 and Hitec servos for the first time!

I love the Yak 55m, I think it's lines are much nicer than the 54 that I have. And that colour scheme.....yes

Ps would a moderator please correct Aeroworks in the title. Thanks 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited By Rich2 on 12/09/2016 20:00:27

Edited By Rich2 on 12/09/2016 20:00:49

Edited By Rich2 on 12/09/2016 20:04:59

Edited By Rich2 on 12/09/2016 20:05:32

Advert

Got started, it's lovely to work on, like a mechano set!

Installed the elevator servos, made so much easier by the (new to me ) servo tester. Made up the pushrods, I also really like the adjustable pushrods, no need to remove from the control horns - they use left and right hand threads.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited By Rich2 on 18/09/2016 20:48:00

Yes Rich, the adjustable push rods with a small spanner are a boon. I just have to remember which way to turn them when I want adjust. I tend to attach the clockwise thread to the working surface and the anti-clockwise to the servo so I know whether the turn will shorten or length the push rod. I guess you remembered to cyano those control horn screws in for added security?! thumbs up

Posted by Adrian Smith 1 on 19/09/2016 14:43:02:

Yes Rich, the adjustable push rods with a small spanner are a boon. I just have to remember which way to turn them when I want adjust. I tend to attach the clockwise thread to the working surface and the anti-clockwise to the servo so I know whether the turn will shorten or length the push rod. I guess you remembered to cyano those control horn screws in for added security?! thumbs up

Oh yes, I am trying to follow the manual to the letter wink

Your Edge looks great, how long have you had it?

wink 2 smileAW manuals are quite good as manuals go. I have had my Edge for about 18 months or so with about 7-8 hours logged flying time. I got it from IAD Model Designs in Scotland but there are no stock to speak of left. It costs a lot to import small quantities from the US so there is no time line for when some more will come into theUK. Shame really as I would buy another tomorrow if they were in the UK. Using my OS 60 in it I had to put all three batteries towards the front of the hatch (2 rx, 1 ignition) to get CoG right. It doesn't disappoint though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I must admit Rich from what I can remember I used 30 minute epoxy to mount both the throttle servo and choke servo mounts in the fuz. The reason for that is the configuration of the OS engine is completely different to the one you are using. I am going up the workshop tomorrow to fly and I will look in my Edge to see what I did. I think I used a piece of hard balsa block to mount the servo in the front.p1020416.jpgAh! I found this picky from my blog. It's not very clear but you get the idea. I drilled holes in the firebox side to get a screwdriver in to tighten the servo screws. Hope that helps.

I am not keen on the throttle arm supplied with the DLE 55, is this normal? I prefer the throttle extension method, as this arm is secured only by two grub screws stopping it turning. Any thoughts? It is also not a very snug fit on the shaft.

img_1009.jpg

Edited By Rich2 on 19/10/2016 19:56:12

I've used those on throttle and choke on my GF38s and throttle on my Evolution 35GT and not had any problems with them, though I do use a drop of threadlock on the shaft. Careful not to use so much it locks the shaft in the carb! I like them as they are a nice length and get the arm well clear of the carb.

Fitted the rudder according to the (confusing) instructions and rather annoyingly the rudder is glued and now binds slightly after about 30 degrees of movement in one direction - the other direction is fine all the way to 50 degrees. I am going to leave this for now as I will only use low rates to 25 degrees initially. I may have to remove and rehinge the rudder later....

img_1024.jpg

img_1022.jpg