AeroWorks Yak 55m 50cc QB

Rich too

Advert

Posted by Rich2 on 23/01/2017 06:35:20:

Thanks Adrian, I did think of that as I'd seen you do it before. I am not keen on it as I usually do semi permanent connections to the batteries. Is there any reason why I cant mount them directly to the top of the wing tube?

Rich.

An alternative would be to glue a piece of lite ply vertically to the former edges just behind the wing tube - see red outline in the photo. Strip of velcro on both sides and slots for straps. Fasten one battery to the front and one to the rear.

719085.jpg

Edited By Gary Manuel on 23/01/2017 11:13:10

Edited By Gary Manuel on 23/01/2017 11:14:46

Posted by Gary Manuel on 23/01/2017 11:12:12:
Posted by Rich2 on 23/01/2017 06:35:20:

Thanks Adrian, I did think of that as I'd seen you do it before. I am not keen on it as I usually do semi permanent connections to the batteries. Is there any reason why I cant mount them directly to the top of the wing tube?

Rich.

An alternative would be to glue a piece of lite ply vertically to the former edges just behind the wing tube - see red outline in the photo. Strip of velcro on both sides and slots for straps. Fasten one battery to the front and one to the rear.

719085.jpg

Edited By Gary Manuel on 23/01/2017 11:13:10

Edited By Gary Manuel on 23/01/2017 11:14:46

I may just do that yes it's slightly behind where I wanted it, but you didn't think that will matter?

Posted by Adrian Smith 1 on 23/01/2017 08:28:13:

Don't see why not Rich, if you can find an easy way. All batteries come out of my planes after each session if only because it is a bit cold in the workshop this time of year. Also it reminds me to check the wires on them in case they deteriorate.

I was thinking of gluing a platform directly to it. General concensus seems to be that it's ok, but can't find an example of it having been done.

Posted by Rich2 on 23/01/2017 21:19:22:

I may just do that yes it's slightly behind where I wanted it, but you didn't think that will matter?

The book CoG is just a starting point, but a safe starting point. I doubt that moving a couple of LiFe(?) batteries by a couple of inches will make much difference when they are already so close to the CoG.

1/4 tank of fuel will more than make up for it.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 23/01/2017 22:20:40

Posted by Gary Manuel on 23/01/2017 22:18:28:
Posted by Rich2 on 23/01/2017 21:19:22:

The book CoG is just a starting point, but a safe starting point. I doubt that moving a couple of LiFe(?) batteries by a couple of inches will make much difference when they are already so close to the CoG.

1/4 tank of fuel will more than make up for it.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 23/01/2017 22:20:40

it's just me being paranoid!

A guy on FG glued triangle stock to the tube to create a flat surface. I quite like that idea, but what glue would you use on the tube? Will it soak through?

Posted by Rich2 on 24/01/2017 09:26:52:

A guy on FG glued triangle stock to the tube to create a flat surface. I quite like that idea, but what glue would you use on the tube? Will it soak through?

I quite often reinforce the cardboard tube by wrapping glass cloth tube / epoxy resin around them. I've never had a problem with the tube expanding or distorting. Obviously don't do it with the wing tube in place unless you want it to be a permanent feature!

Where you put your batteries is obviously down to your own preference, but personally I'd be looking at the wing tube as a very last resort.

I took Gary's advice and made the mount up for the batteries. I also made up a mount for the receiver, but changed my mind and removed it. The problem with the receiver is the elevator extensions will only reach so far.... I decided to mount the receiver above the canister, and I will use some aluminium tape to protect it from the heat.

img_1253.jpg

img_1256.jpg

img_1255.jpg

img_1252.jpg

img_1254.jpg

img_1257.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the tape is great, I've found a couple of uses for it already!

I believe its a 22 x 8 Adrian, I'll have to double check and let you know. Both the prop and spinner are cheap HK items, but the prop was pretty well balanced from the factory. When I stop breaking them I might invest in a decent Falcon CF one!  wink

Edited By Rich2 on 14/02/2017 06:52:24

Edited By Rich2 on 14/02/2017 06:53:14

• 2 months later...

Three months later.........surprise

I have trouble running motors in the garden because of our dogs, however, I came up with the perfect test bed that the dogs can't jump up onto - my daughters trampoline. laugh

The motor ran great, loads of grunt, and the canister sounds great.

img_1747.jpg

• 3 weeks later...