Super Marauder, Depron/ wood composite with contra-props and retracts.

Thank you Steve. I need to learn how to use some of this modern electronic kit properly. I tried the Bandit out a couple of weeks ago when flying the L4 Grasshopper. It worked fine except I'd got it rotated 90 degrees on the helmet bracket, so the whole video came out sidewards! Needless to say I ddn't save that one!

I get things right eventually. This plane flies really well, but with these props half or full throttle didn't make much difference. I'll sort it when I get back, at least the c of g is correct without any ballast and the trims are now correct, so there's not much to do.

Colin don't worry. Modern technology is rubbish.

I have recently bought a Canon 110D. I have now realised that I hate touchscreens. It took me 20 minutes to cancel the self timer. I shall go back to my 400D.

I already dislked them from my Hitec Aurora 9 and my Kindle fire but the Canon seaaled my hatred. Trouble is that my fingers are thicker than a pencil so prees the wrong area apart from other problems

Peter, I have the same finger trouble. Clearly they don't test these things on anyone older than 16.

You're right about the propeller sizes. It is common to have a higher pitch and sometimes diameter as well on the rear prop. In this case I just wanted to get it flying. In the two bladers I've got I have a choice of 9x6, 10x5 and 10x6, so I'll try different combinations. Although I haven't mentioned it, I've got up my sleeve (in the shed) a 350W co-axial motor from Himax in the US, silly prices but a much more robust and better engineered piece of kit than the HK, (which is good value). That comes with a 9x4 and 10x5 (from memory). The ability to experiment is limited by the availability of suitably sized reverse rotation props. I've got thoughts of a Depron build MB5 for the Himax, but later!

• 2 months later...

img_1239.jpgimg_1238.jpgHere it is with a pair of handed APC 9x6 props and the previously loose undercarriage leg grub screw tightened so that the leg doesn't rotate on landing! It is fast and fully aerobatic, lack of torque reaction makes take-offs a doddle and rolls symmetrical in both directions. Not a great video because sticking the camera on top of the cycle helmet wasn't a good idea. However there is enough here to show how it performs, how it handled the strong wind on half-throttle. Take-off and landing are interesting. I'm totally chuffed with this, the HK retracts work well and it greases in on landing like Peter said, no tendency to go onto its nose. Well worth doing this project, it's a success. (Just noticed the video hasn't embedded, I'll try again).img_1239.jpg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 06/04/2017 20:28:10

Thanks Simon. I'm absolutely chuffed with it. The lower weight means that It flies really well on much less power than a 50 four stroke and can slow right down safely. (Your principles). Congratulations to Peter for a great design, it really does fly in the groove. I'm going to enjoy flying this, good one Peter.

I'm clueless with the video camera, but I'll get there. It is more in line of sight on the side of the helmet than on the top, so I'll re-position it. Getting it closer in then will be the next thing, but I'm a bit cautious until I've had more practice with it. We are away for the next two weeks, when I get back I'll have another go.

Peter. Thank you. Sadly the video is lousy but hopefully there is enough there for you to see a performance more in line with your expectations. The difference the propellers made astonished me. I knew there would be some improvement but I didn't appreciate the total transformation, You could see the strength of the wind and the gusting was apparent on landing, with right wing low (the unobtrusive wire skids under the wing tips deal with that), but it tracked straight as a die after that. In the air the effects of the bumpy air seemed minimal by comparison with the Cub (Grasshopper), which itself copes quite well. Also with the light weight you can slow it right down without stalling, so it looks as if it is good for all weathers. I haven't yet solved the problem of the rear spinner though, there isn't enough clearance to take a back-plate. I will think of something.

I reckon the co-axial motors together give the equivalent of about 0.7 hp, so the power/weight ratio is probably similar to your 50 fs powered original. All in all, I think this is one of the best things that I have done so far, I look forward to flying it a lot more. Hopefully I will get it to Greenacres

Well done Colin, the model handled the wind very well. As Stephen says, light weight models can handle the winds, particularly the more streamlined types I find.

Pylon race models were always built to the lowest limit, so all other things being equal the lighter model would be the fastest. More draggy lightweights do tend to be bumped about a bit more in a blow though.

Ron

Steve, mine too. It looks as if response to gusty winds has more to do with aerodynamics and power to weight ratio than absolute weight.

Ron, thanks for that mate. I suppose it takes us back to the old principle of "adding lightness", ask Simon about that!

I'm embarrassed about the predominance of blue sky in the video though, I need to get the hang of it and produce something better. I appreciate the patience of those who watched it for long enough to realise that there was a plane in there somewhere every now and then! They deserve better than that.