Super Marauder, Depron/ wood composite with contra-props and retracts.

Advert

img_0226.jpgimg_0227.jpgimg_0228.jpgimg_0230.jpgimg_0229.jpgimg_0231.jpgI've had work issues on four days and two evenings this week, so couldn't touch this again until yesterday. I'm completing preparation for painting and final detail. As it is now it weighs 1220 gms, about 2 lbs 11ozs.Not in Simon's amazing super lightweight league, but looking like a very significant reduction on the standard wholly wood structure and pretty robust now that it's glassed. This design of Peter's has a lot of presence and looks quite large. It is built to his plan with material substitution, apart from the motor details it is rib for rib the same but with Depron substitution. You can do it straight off his plan. It has a real presence, definitely military and fits perfectly into the Douglas Skyraider/ Chance-Vought A7 Corsair line of thinking. The Skyraider had an amazing career, from just after the end of WW2, through Korea and the Vietnam War. It was originally going to be replaced with the amazing Douglas Skyshark, but unsolved problems with the Allison turbo-prop motor meant that it never went into service, although a number had been built. The Skyraider soldiered on, although largely replaced by the incredible Douglas A4 Skyhawk, a very versatile plane. Then came the Chance-Vought A7 Corsair, that very much continued the flying truck capability of the Skyraider. I think those that are interested can already guess how I'm going to finish this Super Marauder! Apart from a little re-shaping around the nose air intake, it's exactly as Peter conceived it. Using 6mm Depron for the fuselage sides has allowed me to introduce a little more shape around the nose and reduced the slab sided look up front. Not an aeroplane that you'd call pretty, but it has real characterimg_0232.jpg and it's growing on me.

I'm voting for the AH 504 scheme, Colin.

Together with the red 'arrow' of the fin of the Skyhawk 406 (the same AH unit apparently?)... also the white painted moving surfaces... and the red/white 'horizontal V' of the Corsair for your Super Marauder's nose. yes

Jobs a good un, me thinks...

Cheers

Chris

Colin

I dare you to paint your Marauder up as 'dirty'!

The Skyraider was indeed a remarkable aircraft with the epitaph "They just did not make a enough of them!".

Even the UK used Skyraiders in the AEW role with APS-20 radar in 1951. In UK service that radar served far longer than even the Skyraider being transferred first into the Gannet and then into the Shackleton being finally retired in 1991 - 40 years later!

Absolutely Peter. From the moment I saw it in September RCME the similarity to the Crusader and A7 Corsair struck me. Re-jigging it with the shoulder wing is easy enough, have to go for trike retracts in the fus, that needs a bit more thinking about.

Just thinking again about the tilt wing, not too difficult and if Simon sees this I bet he'll be inspired and be flying one next week! Hmm, tilt wing, Supermarine Dumbo and Seagull. Hmmm. Calm down.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 07/12/2016 20:17:39

Posted by Peter Miller on 07/12/2016 19:53:43:

Yes, !! Definitely a family ressembalnce there.

I always wanted to try the Crusader with the tilt wing!! I know that it would work having seen a shoulder wing model have the wing lift and it flew round perfectly safely and slowly.

Thinks. A high wing Super Marauder. OH YEAH!

Bring it on Peter, but don't forget you have your 62in Buzzard Bombshell to do first yes, or have you finished it already? It's hard keeping up with your output of new designs.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 07/12/2016 22:55:14