Super Marauder, Depron/ wood composite with contra-props and retracts.

img_0046.jpgIt's taken a while to work out the undercarriage so that the wheels will be in the right places up and down, it's been a combination of wire bending and Pintle angle. I've taken the liberty of reducing the wheel diameter from 70 to 62 mm. I think that will be fine and we have hard runways at Fradley. Without the luxury of the long and very effective torsion bar in Peter's fixed undercarriage design, I need to make the wing bay R4/R5 into a strong box, starting with making those ribs from 3mm Liteply. Most of the ribs will be made from 6 mm Depron and I've started cutting them out. Ignore the second photo, it''s not meant to be there.image.jpeg

img_0047.jpgBecause of work commitments I am only managing to get a few hours in the shed, in the evenings. Even though, progress is being made. The last two evenings were spent doing the laborious job of cutting out wing ribs. Tonight I have cut out the top and bottom wing skins, then marked out on the bottom ones all of the rib and spar positions. Before packing in I glued the bottom spars in place. Tomorrow evening I will pin them down and glue everything together. Apart from the material changes, I am building to Peter's design and the ribs are exactly as drawn. Changes will be evident in the Aero Quality wing skins which are complete top and bottom, so there are no open areas needing covering with film, the whole surface will be covered with 16gm glass cloth. Also I will connect the aileron servo directly to the ailerons with torque rods rather than fit bell-cranks into the wings. More tomorrow night.img_0049.jpg

Most of the time in the last two days has been spent finalising the detail on the retracts, but I'm sufficiently confident now to start sticking the wings together. Most of the top class builders in the forum are streets ahead of me on detail like this, but the problem as I see it is that for any tailwheel plane where the wheels in the down position sit in front of the leading edge, they have to angle back on retraction to sit inside the wing. This is where pintle angle comes in and working out that as well as getting the wire bends right is fiddly. On this wing as drawn the only place the retracted wheel can sit is in the bay between R2 and R3, in front of the spar. It looks about right now.img_0051.jpg

img_0054.jpgimg_0057.jpgMore progress on the wing today, now working on the port side! I need to be careful to match the retracts up. I will web the spars when I have finished the second side, last job before I put the top sheeting on. I look forward to getting on then with shaping the fuselage, there's plenty of Depron inside the corners to allow me to get a good curve on them, Depron's easy to shape and half of it will be gone by the time I've finished with it!img_0059.jpg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 29/10/2016 18:20:29

Making good progress now. Two wing halves pushed together to check fit. Some fettling to do around the centre section to make everything snug, then I will reinforce a little more around the undercarriage mountings and put in the webbing. Next will be to add the tips, join the wing halves, add aileron torque rods, the ailerons and finally, sheet the top.img_0061.jpg

Tony, thank you again. I'm looking forward to flying this.

Peter, thanks to you also. By the way, the retract layout is pretty much the only way to do it I think, whether building exactly as you intended or with Depron mixed in like this. I thought about doing It Spitfire style, retracting outwards with a sharp pintle angle, but I think there'd be a problem with the position of the spar. Looking promising so far.

English Electric Lightning? (Well, it's recent to me Peter)!

Here's the centre section detail, including the mess-up,where the top spar booms don't quite meet up. I've filled in the gap with epoxy and everything is connected and solidly glued, if the wing ever failed it wouldn't be here. I have to work tomorrow but I've got the evening free to get into the shed and get on with this. When I talk about a composite construction, this is my interpretation of it.img_0067.jpg

A bit like a Spitfire? (Outwards and backwards)!

I've never forgotten the Javelin FAW9s at ATC summer camp, Waterbeach 1961. Watching those go off was quite a sight and being woken up at 02-00 by one on a night sortie was something else!

The Lightning certainly was something else though, the number that were lost in accidents was something else as well! The "Loominus Toob", never to be forgotten.

Back in the shed tonight, I can't wait to get the Super Marauder finished and flying. Behind all of this is a Chipmunk lurking and waiting to be finished, I can't keep on putting that off!

I was on 41 Squadron. Add to that that we moved to a new home under the circuit about 15 miles away from Wattisham. and they and the Lightnings made their circuits over the house and Sudbury. The Javelins made the most horrible groaning noise.

When locals now bleat about airliners at about 4000 feet have a few rather sarcastic remarks for them

I haven't managed to do anything in the last two days but got in the shed this afternoon. Sanded the leading edges, fitted the aileron servo and used blue foam for the centre section trailing edge packing. I've decided to use torque rods to the strip ailerons instead of bell-cranks in the wings. I hope to do a bit more tonight.img_0071.jpg

Hello Colin,

Apologies for disturbing your Marauder build, but I think this could bring you into your following project with a 'tandem prop'... blush

northrop_xp_56_1.jpg

The Northrop XP-56-1... nothing to do with Microsoft, but the plan is available at Aerofred...

Couldn't help just thinking about you when I saw it...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR XP Control