Super Marauder, Depron/ wood composite with contra-props and retracts.

Limg_0107.jpgimg_0108.jpgAll of the big lumps are built and I'm now in the fiddly bitty stages as I move towards finishing it off. Still looking very rough and untidy, but it will look better soon. Fitted magnets to hold the top hatch. I'm also looking to see if Peter's method of fitting the bottom cowl is appropriate for the Depron version or needs a different one. The undersized pilot is the survivor from when I totalled my Pushycat "Super Venom" (sob)! at Greenacres in 2014. I think I need a bigger one.img_0110.jpg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 15/11/2016 22:17:58

Advert

You can get away with a much lighter lower cowl attachment as there will be no vibration or oil etc.

My pilot is only 1/9th scale so pretty small. After all modern military aircraft are pretty big aircraft compared to WWII aircraft.

I actually have a G meter in his head rest. Never recorded very high G with this model yet.

The G metre is the Eagle tree unit. I forget where I got it from now but HK are listing it. They are listing the high G verion which is the one that I have but a lot cheaper than I paid. It registers up to 40 G I have recorded 24.8 G and the wings were still in one piece.

The meter resets once you have pulled 2 G. IT records on three axis.

img_0111.jpgimg_0113.jpgTime has been limited this week because of work commitments, but did some more tonight. I've put Neodymium magnets into the lower engine cowl. They give phenomenal grip and I don't think for a second that it would come off in the air. However, I might put a single screw in somewhere as well! I've put a baffle inside to deflect some of the air-flow upwards towards the battery. Also I've begun to sand and shape the nose and get the shape right. Very easy and looking promising already. The light at the end of the tunnel is starting to get brighter!img_0114.jpg

Simon, I still don't have enough outlet area, so I need to let more air into the fuselage and then create the outlet under the fuselage behind the wing.

You need a fair old yank to shift the under cowling, I've got a feeling it will stay there. (6 magnets). However I might put a "Jesus bolt" in somewhere! Thinking about it. I've used these magnets for hatches several times now and never had one shift in the air, although the pressures here will be different. (They might even be pushing it on)?

Spinners are obviously a problem. (Nothing new there)! I'm going to use the 2" red one on the front that's already there. However, for the back I'm doing what Peter Miller suggested and using a front plate mounted (old fashioned type) 2.5" spinner. Fitting just the back half of it will cover the gap from the front of the rear prop to the nose ring. That leaves a gap between the front of the rear prop and the back of the front one. That might not look too bad. But I'm going to have a go at cutting the cone of the rear spinner to just leave a ring of the correct width to fill that gap as well. There should be enough of the screw lugs left inside to be able to fix it, but I haven't looked hard at it yet. The candidate 2.5" spinner is a blue one, so if it works it will give a nice bit of colour contrast. (Mike's Models didn't have a red one, but I thought the blue will do)!

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 18/11/2016 07:18:04

img_0135.jpgimg_0130.jpgimg_0140.jpgHere are some photos in a better light. In this form the airframe weighs 1080 gms, say 2lbs 5 ozs? The under cowl weighs 31 gms, about 1 oz. Next I will finish that with Ezekote and 17 gm glaaa cloth. The weight of it thenimg_0141.jpgimg_0137.jpg will enable me to reasonably predict the likely finished weight of the plane, so I can be sure that is the right way to go, or needs some re-thinking.

After two coats of Ezekote, a layer of 17gm glass-cloth and three more coats of Ezekote, the weight of the under cowl had increased from 31 to 35 gms, 13%. Applying that to the airframe weight before the tail was attached will add about 140 gms, say 5ozs. Bearing in mind the very low starting weight, even allowing for a couple of coats of paint at the end, I don't think that weight will be an issue here.img_0144.jpg

Hi Colin,

Really great progression on your Depron Marauder.

I think I would go for the kitchen 'tile' pattern and colours for the wing and tailplanes... and the red 'leather' 3D pattern for the fuselage... yes

On a side note, when having some earlier test pieces, I noticed that using 30gr/m² with only 1 added second coat of varnish was lighter than using HK's 18gr/m² with 3 coats. In fact, the weight comes mainly from the resin/varnish, not from the 'tissue' itself.

As for a super lightweight filling in of the tissue pattern, I wouldn't use any additional varnish but would use Freddie B's method as I used for the Bella Ballerina's hatch cover. Just a thought here.  angel

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 20/11/2016 20:49:17

After my last post I was feeling guilty. My wife was watching that jungle program last night so I decided to adjourn to my workshop for a tidy up session. I can now actually see the top of my workbench!

Sadly I know in my heart it wont be long before its again strewn with bits of balsa, tools, glues and all the other items it seems to attract! I have a bin right by my workbench so why cant I drop rubbish in it as I go along? It is one of life's unsolved mysteries.

My shed is approaching the point where I won't be able to get in it. Something is going to give shortly! I've got two bins in there and I keep on cramming more into them but never empty them because I keep on thinking that I might have needed that scrap of 6mm balsa after all, so I'd better leave it there just in case. Clearly the situation is going beyond sustainability and an implosion of some kind must be imminent.