Super Marauder, Depron/ wood composite with contra-props and retracts.

I think that a balanced combination of Depron and wood can give useful weight savings and reduce building cost with a finished airframe that is robust and practical as a weekend flyer. Depron is also quicker to cut and work than balsa, so speeds up the build. The extra time in this project has been working out the retracts and fiddling about with detail like in filling the ailerons! However, adding up the actual building time in the shed it's pretty quick, the problem is the time gaps in between when nothing gets done. However I'm getting close now to the final stages of Permagritting (very quick on Depron)! And sanding to shape ready for finishing. It will start to look something like fairly soon.

img_0087.jpgWing skinning complete now, real progress! Starting to look at wing-tips, wing bolt mounting plate etc.

I thought I would look at weights so far. The wing with ailerons but without tips, with retracts, wheels and aileron servo is 509 gms, about 18 ozs? Raw fuselage with co-axial motors, propellers, wiring and two escs, rudder and elevator servos is 468 gms. 16 ozs? Tailplane, rudder and elevator, completely un-sanded, 57 gms. 2 ozs? All up 1034 gms, 36 ozs, 2 lbs.4ozs.

Some weight will come off with the extensive sanding to be done and a bit added with cockpit, Ezekote and 17gm. Glass-cloth plus paint. On top of that will be the flight battery. However, Peter reported 5lbs. 4 ozs, 84 ozs, giving a wing loading of 21 ozs/square ft. I'm 36 ozs, 3 lbs. inside that so I reckon the weight saving will be considerable and 375W should fly it fineimg_0088.jpg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 07/11/2016 19:42:13

I don't know Peter, but the smaller 221W contra-prop set-up flies the XB42 very well, 53" span but not much over 2lbs. in weight, that's a mostly Depron build. I fly that with low-efficiency GWS three blade props, simply because I think they look good. I will use decent two bladers on this. It is looking promising, but if there are any power deficiency issues it won't be a big job to convert to a conventional brushless motor.

img_0093.jpgimg_0095.jpgimg_0096.jpgBecause the hard runways at Fradley are very abrasive to wing tips, I decided to put in some small skids made of 3mm lite-ply and 16g wire. It occures to me also that if ever there's a retract problem and I have to land with both or one wheel up, they'll be very useful. They are epoxied into the outer ribs W12, but I've glued 1/16" balsa capping ribs onto them to distribute any load. I've built the tips using 6mm grey Depron with 1/16" balsa laminated on and used 6mm grey again as gussets. To finish them I've used the 3mm white aero Depron, which has curved around very nicely. I'm now onto shaping the fuselage ready for finishing. img_0098.jpg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 12/11/2016 17:56:04

img_0100.jpgimg_0102.jpgThe wing is finished, bar final sanding/Ezekote/covering.I'm pleased with a weight of 540 gms including retracts. I will need to make covers for the undercarriage legs though. Not quite as good as Simon's apparent 2x240 for his Ballerina, but I'm happy with what has turned out to be a light, strong and stiff wing. I'm working on the other bits now.img_0106.jpg