Super Marauder, Depron/ wood composite with contra-props and retracts.

Advert

img_0149.jpgimg_0151.jpgimg_0152.jpgimg_0155.jpgimg_0156.jpgI've got two free days at home, so I've spent today putting on the glass cloth with Ezekote. I've just got the top of the wings, ailerons and elevators to cover in the morning. Two more coats of Ezekote and I'm ready to start painting. It's looking good now, loads of space inside to do a neat job of radio installation and loads of battery room to allow c of g adjustment and experiments with battery size. My wife's away for a few days, I've moved into the kitchen so I canimg_0157.jpg watch the TV while I'm working. Don't tell her(!)

Hi Bob. I've never used it. I remember that in an early conversation on here about Depron that Monz mentioned PolyC might be better. I said I'd try it but never did, largely because Mike's Models sells Ezekote! I've been using this with Depron and glass-cloth mostly, although the XB42 is Ezekote straight onto the Depron plus paint. However, I've got overlap of Ezekote onto wood in some places and just today, onto the exposed balsa leading edges of the Super Marauder wing. It seems to work like sanding sealer, first coat raises the grain, sand it down, next coat makes it smoother and more varnish looking, the more you put on the better it gets.

On sanded Depron it seems to work the same. I am putting on two coats (lightly sanded) before the glass cloth. After that I have got away with paint after two coats of Ezekote, but three is better. At that point the texture of the glass-cloth is pretty well filled and it's certainly ok for a matt paint. Four will give a super finish, great for a good gloss paint finish. These things are subjective though, your perception might be different to mine. My main interest right now is how this stuff makes Depron into a tough and practical building material, without sacrificing too much of the weight advantage. I'm becoming an enthusiast, particularly as for balsa/Depron composite.

Tony, I certainly hope so I'll have the motivation to clear the shed out and un-bury the Chipmunk so I can get on with it, it's the priority now for 2017.

I have an admission to make. Towards the end today I ran out of my 17gm glass-cloth, so I have used heavy-weight tissue on the fin, tailplane and elevators with the Ezekote. It all looks promising. I haven't tried Ronseal yet.

I think you're right, he eventually drunk himself to death, didn't he? It was interesting the way that Patton finished up, if that happened today there would be conspiracy theories buzzing all over the place.

Both he and Monty wanted to go for Berlin. I suppose the question about Eisenhower's decision to leave it to the Russians being a mistake with very big consequences will always hang around.

Peter, when received, the pilot was holding up one arm, with a single finger pointing up in the air. Probably meant "start one" or something like that. I thought it looked rude, so cut the finger off, thinking no one will notice. Then I thought he looked odd with one arm up in the air for no good purpose, so I cut the arm off at a point just above and another just below the elbow, then glued it back on in a horizontal position! I think he looks fine now instead of embarrassing!

Chris, I have to report that his arm is exactly the same length as it was before, it is just differently orientated. I cut and rejoined in two places to retain anatomical accuracy, which would have been lost if I had made a single cut. It made me realise that my career has been misdirected, I would have made an excellent plastic surgeon. Ah well, such is life.

I suppose you could say that controlling via my trusty old DX7 is flying by wire anyway, just don't tell my mutilated pilot. He may cope with being surgically re-aligned, but finding out that he is redundant could lead to a suicide and I don't want to have buy another one.