whats best electric model tug

Advert

Hi Iawnski, I'm here

A friend of mine has a Black Horse (I think) Piper Cub which he has electrified, but I'm afraid I don't know the set-up, but I could find out.  All I know is that it flies beautifully at around half throttle and has loads of pull at full, so much so that I have being trying to persuade him to put a tow release in it for our CMPro Discus and (still not arrived) Ventus.

Simon.

A Piper Cub makes a very good tug for aero tow especially since the tail fin has wire stays which not only enhance the scale appearance but also help stop the tow line interferring with the rudder and elevators.

There are several good model Piper Cub's out there which are available as electric or can be converted. Hangar 9 do a very good 80 odd inch span cub already fitted with a brushless motor. (You can get the same kit without the motor if you wish to fit your own choice.). Hangar 9 also do an impressive quarter scale cub which can be used as an electric tug.

Perkins supply 2 cubs, one a 68 inch intended for glo and another of about quarter scale. I have the 68 inch cub which Im converting to electric. Its virtually ready to fly with all the flying surfaces hinged and pinned with small screws and the best bit is, its only £50!!

I've had to take off the motor mount and substitue a few of the horns and clevices because the ones supplied although look fine are not to my liking. If you'd use this as a tug I'd remove the aileron mechanism and substitute with a servo in each wing for better response.

If you fancy building from the ground up DB Models do an 82 inch span Cub.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/30943/tugIMG_0135.JPG

Hi,

I fly an electric tug its a graupner Taxi 2400 with an AXI 5345/16 on 12S lipos so its a bit overkill for what you want but for big models its just the job, if your interested in finding out more about towing or where to put the tow release then take a look at the scale soaring website

The video of my tug a cuple of weeks ago is in this thread

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/4056/V/6/SP/