Petrol or Glow

Rocker

One of the things this thread needed to do I think is compare like with like. What most people talk about with "petrol engines" are 2 strokes. People comparing petrol to glow have mainly been thinking of 2s petrol motors vs the big 4sglow engines. That is not a fair comparison. The 4s engine is very much complex in engineering than a 2s.

Few run petrol 4 strokes versus petrol 2s due to cost and availability. The NGH38as starting to be used by a number of modellers is a good example of big petrol 4s. I believe the DLAs are 2s?The big 4s glow Lasers sound amazing and a million miles from the agricultural 2s rasp.

As we all know 2s and 4s are completely different beasts and tune differently with 4s requiring far less fuel delivered with more precision.

That's why Jon has to be so precise in his metering before releasing an engine to the public . Even in industry the 4s engines we use are the bigger ones(usually over 30cc). 

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 07/10/2016 14:21:03

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 07/10/2016 14:28:29

Advert

a briggs and Stratton mower is about 150cc!

And Charles a little diesel screaming away is a thing of wonder, I quite agree

That's why you can have diesel Laser, best of everything

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 07/10/2016 18:07:02

I and many others appreciate Jon's very valuable contribution. There has to be room for different opinions but the fact is Jon knows what he's talking about. As far as opinions are considerd another example is cars: some people like Audi or BMW while others say Lada is just fine to move a person from point A to point B. For Lada drivers all talk about noise leves or driveability is just rubbish!

Many are happy with their DLEs or DAs. Fine, if they don't care about the way a model engine sounds, then, that choice may be good for them. Some of us, myself included, dislike very much the way these 2-stroke gassers sound and therefore can't think of using them in a model airplane. 4-stroke model airplanes of smaller size, say 20-60 cc are an interesting topic but as Jon has explained they do not really seem to exist in a well behaving format for the time being, unfortunately.