OpenTx - what is the fuss really about?

1. Load Companion, and select edit Companion preferences:

taranis 1a.jpg

2. Then click on Simulator Settings and select a folder to download to.

taranis 2.jpg

3. In the simulator, you will find the camera icon when you click on the Taranis Simulator tab.

taranis 3.jpg

Another way to get this shot, and to get any Companion screen shot is to use the Windows program "Snip" which comes with Win7 onwards. You will then need to save the file.

Finally save all the snips or screenshots into a picture album on this forum to be able to get them to appear in the post. Simply pasting an image seems to work but you will get a too many characters message when you try and add the posting.

My Companion screen doesn't reflect the real screen 100%: It doesn't show the model image which I've selected, and which does show in my transmitter's screen; and it doesn't make any of the native sounds, or the extra ones I've installed, which are all working in my transmitter.

Is this just the way it works, or is there some setting I've missed?

You need to copy the contents of the SD card to your PC, and then use the Companion and Edit preferences as above. Go to the Radio Profile tab and put the correct path for your SD card. The folders in the PC file should match the actual SD card folders exactly.

taranis 4.jpg

Posted by Andy48 on 19/10/2016 17:06:35:
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 18/10/2016 17:48:34:
Matty - Great example that sticky throttle cut.
Another example of different ways to do the same thing would be that I would probably use Special Function "Override" to apply the output of your L2 to the throttle channel.

I find you have to be very careful using Override or it can have unintentional consequences. The special function 'Override CHxx' doesn’t take in account the min/max, direction, etc. specified in the output menu. Only the PPM Centre parameter is used. If you're not very careful, servos can be driven out of their mechanical limits and in the wrong direction...

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 19/10/2016 17:47:50

Using Override for throttle cut on en electric model and setting the point it holds the throttle channel at as -100% seems an absolutely perfect choice of use for Override, IMHO.

You want it to override any other settings in the channel (actually it's unlikely that there will be any), and go to exactly the point that keeps the motor stopped.

Yes - the SD directory must contain an exact copy of whatever is on the SD card that is in your Taranis!

Also - I know this sounds really stupid - but the path mane is absolutely correct? The SD diectory is under Companion2.1? You see mine is a manually made copy of the contents of the SD directory, from the Tarnais, made when the Taranis was connected via the USB, to a special driectory set up for it on the PC. The location of this then became my SD structure path.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 21/10/2016 20:37:04

Obviously, now we have started, we should finish off this query of Allan's - but it is technically "off topic". This thread is about specific, practical and working programming examples in OpenTx, not general general OpenTx questions.

But, I think that a thread that brought together OpenTx questions and queries would be useful - so I've made one, OpenTX Questions.

So, can I ask that:

If your post is an OpenTx question - like how do I....., or why doesn't this work..... Please put it in the OpenTx Questions thread.

If your post is about a currently working bit of OpenTx programming that you think others might be interested in - or you just feel proud of and would like to show off (no harm in that!), then you are welcome to either put it in this thread or make a new thread of your own for it. I would suggest that if it is something small and self-cointained then add it here; if its a larger project make a new thread. But its your choice.

The reason for this is that if you look on RCGroups for example at Taranis you will find threads many thousands of posts long and with absolutely no internal structure. They just ramble from one Taranis/OpenTx topic, question, information, announcement to another! There is masses of valuable information in there - but in reality its next to useless because you can't find anything without wading through 100s of pages of post. At least this way we will have a little order and things wil be easier for people to find in the future. I hope!

Thanks

BEB

BEB, sorry about going off-topic (the topic of this thread did seem rather wide-ranging actually). Someone else has asked the same question in a new thread yesterday, so maybe we should continue there?

I've checked my directory structure, and the name and path are exactly as in my screen shot, not the way I wrote it in my text. I'll try, later today, moving things to a "user" directory, and see if that makes it work. Otherwise, it's a simple job to check it in my transmitter, so it's not really a big deal if there's no sound on my PC.

Bingo! I've copied my SD card folder into a C:\Users\Allan .... folder, and it's now working. Thank you to everyone who's chipped in on this. I'll now delete it from the Program Files folder, so I don't get confused in the future.

I've also just remembered that, since "upgrading" to Windows 10, most times I try to move or copy a file I get a message saying I can't do this unless I'm the Administrator -- which I am! So it must be something to do with that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh I love it! What a great idea to test your programming out on and to experiment with!

Yes Companion is an excellent tool, streets ahead of anything I've seen for any other Tx. Don't forget that you have simulation capability there too. So you could test your programme on the Companion simulator, and then test further with your physical mock-up - great for ironing out those thorney issues!

BEB

I've found Companion invaluable for initial setup, telemetry, timers etc but I couldn't visualise the outputs in terms of actual control deflections.

So this little baby enables me to sit on the sofa, at the workbench, kitchen table or in the bath with out being encumbered with 4 Metres of glider.

Maybe one day those talented people who built OpenTX could create 3D simulators to mirror an actual model.

How lucky are we to have such folk put so much effort into something that so benefits our hobby.

• 5 months later...

Matty, I hope you read this and have a few moments to answer my query.

I am afraid that, whilst I am managing fairly well with the more basic aspects of the Taranis, the Logical Switch business has got me more or less stumped. I have read and re-read your, and BEB's, excellent posts above but the penny is not dropping. I have set up the simple 2-line (L1 and L2) sticky throttle cut-off by copying your example above and it works fine. However, when switch SF is in the up position - throttle on - it is mighty close to switch SE when that is in the down position and I am concerned that I might accidentally turn the throttle off whilst activating SE.

My query is, how can I set it up so that the throttle is off when SF is up and on when SF is down? I have tried changing the switch parameters in the Logical Switch page but it doesn't work.

Many thanks for any help. Ian.