Zagi 400 - advice please

Byron Patterson

Advert

I think that might depend on how many watts you put in it Rob! I had a Zagi many years ago which I electrified with the ubiquitous Speed 400 dc motor and gunther prop (which goes to show how long ago it was!). I ran it on a 6 x 2/3 AAA nicad pack so the power delivery was not a lot by todays standard but it flew and was even quite relaxing to fly. Being EPP it was fairly forgiving of arrivals and as the prop was at the back it generally survived.

My advice it keep it light, don't over power it and aim for slow controlled flight rather than one of the overpowered missiles that you see on uTube, as you may find it hard to keep up with it. Oh, and flying wings are pretty critical when it comes to getting the C of G in the right place (usually well forward) and the correct amount of reflex on the elevons too.

Regarding the power train, perhaps the chaps at 4max here might be able to suggest something suitable. Possibly about 80 - 100 watts per lb is what I would use at any rate and a 1300Ah 3s LiPo to keep the weight down. The aim here is to achieve something like a powered glider rather than a combat fighter, if you get my drift.

As far as the Radio is concerned buy any good brand, perhaps the Spektrum DX6 or Hitec Flash 7? I have no experience of either being a JR man myself. Good luck.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 15/10/2016 04:41:13

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 15/10/2016 04:42:42

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 15/10/2016 04:53:20

Budget Setup:-

FlySky FS-i6 Transmitter with FS-i6B Receiver, approx £40 (I have a DX9, CG10, Taranis and Horus available and STILL use mine!)

Two mini 10-12g budget metal geared servos, approx £ 8-10 each

EBay sourced Suppo 2212-6T 2300kV approx £8

25A ESC with BEC (HobbyWing preferred but HK Turnigy OK.

APC Speed 7x3 (to start with) and 6x4 props.

1300-1600mAh 3S min 25C

Build it as light as possible.

If you have the Zagi 400 already not an option, however 4-Max do their own version called the Yeti with an optional electric pack and George was very helpful regarding set up. I got mine to fly when the conditions are not suitable to fly anything else or I am not prepared to damage a balsa ARTF ! Great fun and probably almost indestructible as its foam & packing tape!

Will fly very slow all the way up too quite quick and you can make it as visible as you want (good for those winter grey skies)! Only down side is that it has no rudder so no stick practice there, but goes in the car so set up time is minimal (just safety check and fly!).

Posted by Chris Walby on 15/10/2016 07:22:52:

Great fun and probably almost indestructible as its foam & packing tape!

Will fly very slow all the way up too quite quick and you can make it as visible as you want (good for those winter grey skies)! Only down side is that it has no rudder so no stick practice there, but goes in the car so set up time is minimal (just safety check and fly!).

Second all the above.My Zaggi has some 380 watts on tap and flat out concentration is a must.

Thanks guys, I have flown one many years ago but I have never owned one.

I think Piers has hit the nail on the head when he says keep it low powered and light, this is exactly my plan, I just want it to cruise around really.

I will come up with a shopping list and get you guys to review it if that's ok

Thanks for everyone's help and please keep the suggestions coming

Edited By Byron Patterson on 15/10/2016 12:20:44

So these are my options for a transmitter and receiver set. I am assuming these should all be fine to cope with elevon mixing but I cant find any specific info to confirm that so if you guys could help that would be great:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8992__Turnigy_9X_9Ch_Transmitter_w_Module_8ch_Receiver_Mode_2_v2_Firmware_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__97587__Turnigy_TGY_i6S_Digital_Proportional_Radio_Control_System_Mode_2_White_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__66392__Turnigy_TGY_i6_AFHDS_Transmitter_and_6CH_Receiver_Mode_2_UK_Warehouse_.html