ASX3 AR636 RECEIVER PROBLEMS

Adrian collins

HI HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP, I RECENTLY PURCHASED A SPORT CUB WITH THE AR636 RECEIVER, UNFORTUNATLY IT'S WAS SET TO MODE2 AND I FLY MODE4 SO I PURCHACED THE PROGRAMMING LEAD AND RE-ASSINED THE CHANNELS TO MODE4 BUT,MY CONCERNED IS THAT BY DOING THIS WILL THE ASX3 STABALISATION SYSTEM RECOGNISE THE CHANGE? I DON'T WANT TO FLY THE PLAN YET JUST IN CASE I CANT FIND ANY INFO ON THE SPEKTRUM WEB SITE AND DONT WANT TO TRASH THE PLANE!

Advert

Hi Adrian, their is no need for Rx channel assignment to be changed on any mode. 1. Aileron, 2. Elevator, 3. Throttle, 4. Rudder, and the stabilisation will operate these channels when need be. Just set the DX8 to mode 4, and the DX8 will operate the selected servos from the selected stick movement. Just be sure to plug in the servos in the above order on the Rx. To test the ASX3 stabilisation, from rear of the model, lift the tail, the elevator should go up. Move the tail right the rudder should go right, lift the left wing, the left aileron should go up.

If you really want to be sure, either with the prop off or make sure you are behind it, turn the TX on, then battery in the plane and on. Let it bind and settle down.

With the stabilisation switched on (if your can turn it off/on) hold the plane and yaw it right you should notice the rudder moves in the opposite direction to counter you movement.

Then nose the plane down and you should see the RX put in up elevator and lastly roll it one way and again the RX should drive the ailerons to correct your movement.

I have a AR636 and have been playing around with the different settings so like to have the option of turning off the stabilisation inflight in case I have overdone something.

Lastly if I remember rightly the AS3X needs a few seconds (5 ish) of straight and level flight to sort its self out, it does this once the throttle is up by 40%.

PS... Make sure the plane is well mechanically trimmed up as the AS3X does not like massive levels of TX trim put in.

Hope that helps

It's quite easy to check.

Turn the gains up. Remove the prop, power up & advance the throttle past 25%. The AS3X will now initialise. Hold the model & pitch it down, you should be able to see up elevator compensation being applied. Similarly roll & yaw the model & check you are getting the correct surface movements to oppose your inputs. If all is OK turn down the gains to your desired starting point. Otherwise correct through the programming lead & app.

Outputs 1,5 & 6 (Throttle, Gear, Aux1) are not stabilised ex factory, I don't know if when you change the Rx port outputs the AS3X moves over, but it should be immediately obvious by using the above test.

Ahhh I see. You are flying mode 4 (ali and rudder swapped over compared to Mode 2) on a standard mode 2 Tx hence why you want to change the channel order. If you have successfully reprogrammed the Rx then just perform a normal control check. As above you can check the stabilization by upping the. gain to max and moving the aircraft. remember to re set the gains afterwards. Being able to switch out stabilisation (O% gain) is a good idea.

The RX programming is live so with your laptop, or whatever plugged, you can cross check stick movements with the screen and the aircraft.

If it is a new DX8 (with the fixed Arial) you can change the channel order on the Tx to avoid reprogramming the Rx.

Just out of interest, why do you prefer mode 4?

Thanks guy's it's nice to know these help out there as horizon hobbies are not the most help full! really appreciate the help! I didn't know you could change the mode on the transmitter never done this.

Our local club fly's mostly on mode 4 and the guy who taught me many years ago was flying on mode 4, just to clarify the gain is basically the on and of switch for the ASX? by decreasing on increasing the gain determines how the ASX system operates? I have also done the checks you have suggested but there is a lot of movement on the ailerons when moving the plane side to side, the elevator control appears to be ok it's just the channels I have swapped, should the ailerons move when moving the plan side to side? as well as the rudder which only moves a little bit in comparison to the ailerons.crook

Adrian, you need to start again, and make 100℅ sure that mode 4 is vital, as you will learn to fly and adopt controls in a very small wilderness. If you move clubs you will be isolated in helping others fly. The mode 4 pilots that I know are in wheel chairs, and limited use of right hands and another with motor limb problems. If you have to, set the DX8 to mode 4. Reset the ASX3 to normal. In fairness to Horizon, they probably did not see the purpose of reassigning control to no advantage as mode 4, when, "as sold", all of your equipment could take to the air with very little fuss from the box.

Edited By Denis Watkins on 25/10/2016 07:54:11

Adrian,

Horizon Hobbies have put a series of videos on Youtube. These are worth watching. Better than the manual. Gain set how much the stabilization will react to a divergence from straight and level. Too much gain and it will over react and become unstable. Too little gain and it will have little effect. There 0% gain effectively turns it off. The optimum gain will be different for each design of aircraft and a bit personal preference. AS3X allows gain to be set separately for each channel. As your cub had AS3X factory installed the gains should pre set. If not 50% is a good starting point. Don't worry that the control surface movements seem small. The videos will explain how you can fine tune the gains in flight.

Posted by Adrian collins on 25/10/2016 07:27:54:there is a lot of movement on the ailerons when moving the plane side to side, the elevator control appears to be ok it's just the channels I have swapped, should the ailerons move when moving the plan side to side? as well as the rudder which only moves a little bit in comparison to the ailerons.

No, when moving from side to side (yaw) only the rudder should react. If aileron is also reacting then your port swapping has caused a cross channel contamination of the AS3X. As Dennis has suggested you are probably better off going back to the factory Rx defaults & swap to Mode 4 on your transmitter which is detailed in the Manual.

Hi Guy's put the receiver back to the original settings and changed my DX8 transmitter to Mode 4 and it appeared to be working ok, done the checks suggested and it is reacting to changes in movement correctly, just got to get it our to fly nowsmiley​ many thanks, I don't think I could have done this without your help!