S6R receivers

Geoff S

Flew a foamy (HK Extreme 3D) yesterday with S6R in all the different configurations and all performed as expected, has taken me a while to figure it all out but finally no problems. With respect to the loss of control surfaces I think (can't confirm yet) that it happens if the trims are significantly altered, simply initialise the self check (CH12 -100) to correct this. I have also flown an Estrella for a few weeks in stabilise mode. Can't help with the EU LBT software issue as I fly with 'rest of the world' software.

I have simplified the selection of stabilise modes so that the three modes work on one 3 way switch (SG) with auto level on switch SH, SF is the master switch for stabilise mode but SH overrides everything.

Edited By Attilio Rausse on 09/11/2016 09:40:28

Posted by C Brooks on 09/11/2016 00:11:45:

Has anybody successfully bound a S6R to the original Taranis with EU-LBT firmware?

I have now tried two and in spite of reassurances from FrSky that they are compatible they simply don't bind. Instead of the green LED coming on the red LED flashes when powered on again after the binding sequence.

I know I am not alone with this problem.

It worked for me. Original Taranis, EU firmware, OpenTX 2.2

Posted by Andy48 on 09/11/2016 10:11:02:

Has anybody successfully bound a S6R to the original Taranis with EU-LBT firmware?

I have now tried two and in spite of reassurances from FrSky that they are compatible they simply don't bind. Instead of the green LED coming on the red LED flashes when powered on again after the binding sequence.

Was that with the EU or EU-LBT Firmware ?

I can get mine to bind (International firmware) but it doesn't do anything useful. The RF continually swamps the transmitter and gives the 'Telemetry Lost' /'telemetry regained' messages on and off continuously even when they are over a metre apart.

I've given up. I just got totally frustrated after struggling for hours and getting nowhere. It's not in the bin ... yet - but it's close.

Geoff

Posted by Seabee on 09/11/2016 17:01:36:
Posted by Andy48 on 09/11/2016 10:11:02:

Was that with the EU or EU-LBT Firmware ?

EU-LBT

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 09/11/2016 17:32:31:

I can get mine to bind (International firmware) but it doesn't do anything useful. The RF continually swamps the transmitter and gives the 'Telemetry Lost' /'telemetry regained' messages on and off continuously even when they are over a metre apart.

I've given up. I just got totally frustrated after struggling for hours and getting nowhere. It's not in the bin ... yet - but it's close.

Geoff

Why not just send it back for replacement or refund?

Posted by MattyB on 10/11/2016 08:16:01:
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 09/11/2016 17:32:31:

Geoff

Why not just send it back for replacement or refund?

I had mine replaced but the second one was no better than the first but what I have learnt is that stabilisation is on as default and unless you either turn it off or calibrate and initialise it the S6R is totally inert (assuming you get it to bind), this I believe is a safety feature.

My recommendation to Geoff would be 1) try flashing the RF firmware in the TX to the latest Int'l version on the FrSky site, and if that does not work 2) find someone else with a Taranis on Int'l firmware and see if they can bind it and get the same issue. My hunch is that this may be some kind of RF firmware mismatch betweeen the TX and RX, so this test should at least enable that to be eliminated as an option.

Matty, I've already reflashed the firmware. I have 2 Taranises (sp?) and I've been using the 'disposable' one I repaired. I suppose I could try the 'serious' one but I'm not very hopeful. I was thinking of having another session today now I've cooled down a bit

I just don't want to update to OpenTx v2.2 or whatever as it means sorting out yet another voice file. Having continually to update software is getting too much like being at work

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 10/11/2016 11:09:04:

Matty, I've already reflashed the firmware. I have 2 Taranises (sp?) and I've been using the 'disposable' one I repaired. I suppose I could try the 'serious' one but I'm not very hopeful. I was thinking of having another session today now I've cooled down a bit

Just to be clear I was suggesting you upgrade the RF firmware in the TX, not reflash the Receiver firmware again. Have you tried that step? If your TX is one of the early ones and you have never flashed your internal RF module then it is conceivable that there may be an mismatch between two different versions of the Int'l RF firmware. Unlikely, but just about possible.

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 10/11/2016 11:09:04:

I just don't want to update to OpenTx v2.2 or whatever as it means sorting out yet another voice file. Having continually to update software is getting too much like being at work

Yep, I get that - I used to keep up with every update, but I have been flying less recently due to my small people and having various works going on in the house so I am still on 2.0.19. Works great for me! Given you don't want to move to 2.2 though I think your only other options is to buy the STK cable and calibrate your RX from the PC - that should allow you to be confident that your calibration has worked correctly (or not if the RX is defective).

I've spent a few hours on this now. Here's the state of play so far.

S6R:

1: tried downloading latest EU XJT (RF) version to transmitter and EU firmware to S6R. It just wouldn't bind at all!

2: returned both transmitter and receiver to international version and the bind works - sort of. There are continuous RSSI warnings (RSSI reading on Xmitter is around 70/80 then down to 30, then none). The green light flashes on S6R indicating bind, then red flashing indicating signal lost.

I'm using the throttle channel with a servo because that won't be affected by any stabilisation issues. The servo moves in response to the joystick but somewhat erratically.

I'm either doing something very wrong, there's a fault in the design (unlikely?) or I have a faulty S6R. I intend to phone T9 on Monday and ask their advice. There is no information on the S6R data sheet on how to bind. I guessed it was the same as other X series receivers and as far as I can tell it is but as I haven't had a truly solid bind perhaps it isn't. Who knows?

STK

I ordered an STK SPort/USB interface on Thursday and it arrived on Friday - top marks to T9!

1: I used it first in conjunction with the S6R configuration tool and, after a bit of fiddling got it to work. At least the readings on the Configuration tool's display changed as I moved the receiver and the the s/w recognised that the receiver was connected. The receiver is powered by the USB port via STK and I didn't have the transmitter switched on.

2. I then tried to use the STK to update the X8R I'd been using to experiment with, to its original international firmware. First you need to down load and run a driver for the serial ports and a small download program. The s/w location is on the data sheet but it's easier to find on Frsky's web site in the Downloads/Tools section. It's not easy to use (surprise!) but it does work eventually. It's essential that you select the .frk file you want to write before connecting the receiver to the STK lead. I don't know why. I also found that sometimes the download program (frsky_update_sport) doesn't see the com port (in my case com3) but when it does eventually you are able to write firmware.

IMO opinion it's far easier to use your Traranis once you've made up a suitable lead with crossed over +/- connections at the transmitter end.

So the STK interface is fine for programming the S6R (I think!) but not so useful for receiver updating though it will do that.

Geoff

Geoff I found when binding. I had to hold the Rx button down while powering the Rx and keep it held until the led went green. If I then put Tx I to bind mode, Rx led flashes red and bind was complete. Take Tx out of bind. Depower and repower Rx and you should have a good bind. It seemed to be getting that first green led that was unusual and key.

I'm afraid that still gives the dodgy 'bind' where servos might move but somewhat erratically and the RSSI goes up and down all the time. The switch on channel 7 does initiate a self check (LED blue). I keep the other 2 switches centred so the S6R is supposedly able to work like an ordinary X6R.

Thanks anyway Chris. I think I'll have words with T9 on Monday and see what they suggest. I've seen reports of them working OK elsewhere other than here so perhaps I have a faulty one. In fact most reports have been discussions about setting them up which is a different thing altgether and is a matter of playing with the Configuration programme via the SRK interface.

Geoff

Yep sounds like you've tried most things, Geoff.

The last things I can suggest are:
1 If you disable the stab functions using the STK it should just work like a 6Ch Rx.

2 Or with stab functions enabled - when you do the self check - immediately afterwards you need to move all sticks to their extremes. This sets the travel limits that stabilisation can go to and is a necessary step. Any stick that's left at centre at this time will set centre as the full travel limit on that channel. i.e. that channel will never move.

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 12/11/2016 20:06:16:

I'm afraid that still gives the dodgy 'bind' where servos might move but somewhat erratically and the RSSI goes up and down all the time. The switch on channel 7 does initiate a self check (LED blue). I keep the other 2 switches centred so the S6R is supposedly able to work like an ordinary X6R.

Thanks anyway Chris. I think I'll have words with T9 on Monday and see what they suggest. I've seen reports of them working OK elsewhere other than here so perhaps I have a faulty one. In fact most reports have been discussions about setting them up which is a different thing altgether and is a matter of playing with the Configuration programme via the SRK interface.

Geoff

You are the third person I know of with a S6R from T9 that behaves this way. My replaced receiver does the same thing so that could make the count 4. I have been in contact with FrSky technical support in China who have asked me to send them videos of what I'm doing. They can see nothing wrong with the procedure and have asked me to try it with International Firmware rather than EU-LBT. I'm not too keen on changing the Taranis but will give it a go today. I also have a couple of other things to try following help from Andy48. It seems improbable that the whole of T9's batch is bad. The build date on the side of the two S6Rs that I have tried is 2016/08/19

Mine is also 2016/08/31 which is quite recent I guess.

btw the switch I have on ch12 does initiate the self check sequence. The other switches on channels 10 and 11 I leave in the central position and so the S6R should behave like a normal X6R. Anyway, I'm just testing on channel 3 (throttle) and that should be unaffected by any stabilisation.

Strange it doesn't even attempt to bind on the EU firmware.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 13/11/2016 11:29:38

I've just got off the phone to T9 and they seem to think there's bug relating to early Taranis transmitters, which mine is, Perhaps the RF section on none 'plus' versions has slightly different hardware? Apparently FrSky are aware of the problem and are working on it. I was told that there's no point returning my SR6 for a replacement as the problem seems to affect them all.

I'll wait and see what happens. I hope it gets solved because the idea is great but it seems that the product was released prematurely.

Geoff

That's interesting Geoff because my Taranis is an early one, certainly well "pre plus".

Mine is working fine with my S6R which has the latest (160909) LBT firmware on it.7
Date on my S6R is 2016/08/19

Oh, it works just fine with my Horus too.

I've never connected an STK to it, but I have used the LUA script on both transmitters.

I haven't used the Ch12 to initiate, I always use the button on the Rx.

I've found that my preferred mode selection setup is to use the 6 pos sw on the Horus to select modes, but more importantly I also have an "on off" switch on a separate toggle. That way, I can switch all modes off, make a selection with the knob and then switch in the new mode with the toggle switch. Works well for me.

I've flashed this XJT with "XJT_141016.frk", which I believe is the most recent international firmware for the XJT.

This binds, but the red LED on the S6R flashes when I try to use it. Occasionally, the Rx RSSI jumps up from 0, and the Rx does move a servo.

This same XJT works fine with a X8R

Chris: I would assume it will work, but the accelerometers will either have some default values for calibration, or those for where it was manufactured. You do, probably, need to calibrate it to match the earths gravity field for where you are.

Mike.