S6R receivers

Geoff S

I'd been thinking of trying an Eagle Tree Guardian Stabiliser just to see what effect it had on flying in blustery winds so when I saw that Frsky had introduced a new receiver with inbuilt stabiliser I thought it might be worth trying one. It arrived this morning from T9.

The supplied instructions are somewhat terse but there's more information on the Frsky web site. It seems to bind OK on D16 using the X series method (switch on whilst depressing F/S button) at least the right LEDs light up. However the usual problems with apparent low RSSI and lack of telemetry messages when the transmitter (Taranis on international RF protocol) is too close is considerably more pronounced almost to the point that even well over a metre away RF connection is dreadful. I don't get that with my other X series receivers.

I've set up a couple of switches on channels 10 and 11 as described in the manual to enable/disable the stabiliser but I can't get servos to operate on any of the channels. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I can't think what.

Has anyone else bought one of these receivers? Has anyone got them working? There is also a PC setup program but it needs a hardware interface (STK) from the Smart Port to the PC's USB port for it to be useful.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 28/10/2016 17:54:24

Hi Geoff yes I have one if these working well.
The instructions leave so much out though.
3 things come to mind. Have you calibrated it using either the STK usb adapter and a PC or by using the Transmitter and LUA script? That process involves holding the unit dead level on each if it's 6 sides.
Second, to bind, hold the button, wait until the led goes green the release button. Then, switch Tx to bind mode and the Rx red led flashes. Then you're bound.
Third, after binding, depower and repower with Tx on too.
Press the Rx button and the blue led flashes while it initialises. At the end of this the surfaces move back and forth then stop. IMMEDIATELY, you need to move all stick to their extremes to set servo end limits.
After all that, it ought to work.

You need to install OpenTX 2.2 to use this on the Taranis, there is a LUA for it. Otherwise you will need the hardware interface and the PC software to set it up. You can get this from T9 or from HorusRC in China (this appears to be FrSky's own sales outlet) where postage is free and you get $3 off your first order, so if you are prepared to wait, a much cheaper option.

OpenTX 2.2 does not have a working LUA for the Horus yet, and at the moment it is still in "nightly build" format, so not a bullet-proof version of OpenTX.

I understand the firmware for this receiver is still in development.

My advice would be to stick it on the shelf for a couple of months.

I think the S6R is more sensitive than other 'X' receivers. I get a higher RSSI reading, but this may well mean the close range "swamping" effect is more noticeable.

With everything powered on, press the 'bind' button on the S6R to enter "self-check" mode. The blue LED on the S6R will come on. Make sure you have the Tx far enough away to avoid the swamping. When the blue LED goes off (after the servos have moved a couple of times), move the sticks on the Tx to set the servo limits in the S6R. You should then have control of the servos.

The S6R needs to know the limits so it doesn't overdrive servos when it is driving them for stability reasons. This isn't perfect but avoids stalling a servo. I'm using differential on ailerons, so in one direction the servo limit is reduced. The S6R however drives the servo without differential, but does stop the servo before it goes too far. I'll be suggesting to FrSky they change this.

There is a "lua" script available to run under openTx on the Taranis that provides the setup functions without needing the PC, although I believe you may need to update openTx to "2.2", but this is not yet released so is only available as a "nightly" build.

Also, if you run ersky9x, I have just added the S6R setup functionality, and this is working on the SKY, AR9X and 9Xtreme upgrade boards for the 9X, the 9XR-PRO and the Taranis and Taranis Plus (and should work on the X9E but I haven't tested that yet). You could backup your openTx flash and EEPROM from a Taranis, flash ersky9x to be able to setup the S6R, then revert to openTx.

My work with the S6R is here: **LINK**, and the first post has the ersky9x builds that include the S6R setup.

Mike.

Edit: Took me too long to type! One thing I have discovered. A 'problem' has been reported with channels 5 and 6, where these are driven by the S6R when applying stabilising operations that prevents them being used as 'ordinary' channels for things like flaps and retracts when not needed for a second aileron or elevator. I've found a setup value (0x80) that may be written to the direction parameter for these channels that stops the S6R driving them itself, thus making them available for 'ordinary' use. I've included this as an option in ersky9x.

Edited By Mike Blandford on 28/10/2016 18:47:58

I'm not certain, but I think if you modify two lines of the lua file like this:
{"AIL2 direction:", COMBO, 0x9A, nil, { "Normal", "Invers", "Off" }, { 255, 0, 128 } },
{"ELE2 direction:", COMBO, 0x9B, nil, { "Normal", "Invers", "Off" }, { 255, 0, 128 } },

You would get the option to try turning the AIL2 and ELE2 servos off from stabilising response.

I haven't tried this, but if anyone has openTx 2.2 running on a Taranis and wants to try it I would be interested to know if it works for them.

Mike.

I've downloaded Companion 2.2 but when I try to use it to update my Taranis the program terminates. It's currently on ver 2.1.7 and the RF version is XJT_141016.frk (non-eu LBT)

I don't have an STK USB adapter and know nothing about LUA or how to use it. Is it an interpretive language that doesn't need compiling? This is all getting pretty heavy. I was hoping to be able to use this receiver without any stabilisation at first but it doesn't seem to work at all even though it's apparently bound.  My workshop isn't big enough to get the transmitter and the receiver far enough apart to avoid swamping if that's what it is.  It does worry me a bit because if I'm taxiing then there's a danger I lose contact although and it should go into fail-safe, it's not something I want to rely on as normal practice.  This is, so far, the worst bit of Frsky kit I've ever bought.  Everything else has just worked as expected but this won't even move the servos.

I've been retired for over 20 years now and that's the last time I wrote any software and that was all low level stuff (assembler) and a bit of 'C'. I do at least have some electronics/software experience and I'm finding it all a bit overwhelming so how anyone with no experience at all manages I can't think!

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 28/10/2016 22:25:41

As folks will know. I am a great fan of Frisky, but I do note their rather charming habits of firstly using their customers as test and development staff and secondly failing to document and explain kit.
So I adopt a simple strategy, I give all their products a couple of months before I buy. By then the bugs have been dealt with and YouTube is full of helpful "how To" videos by clever and dedicated folks like Mike and Chris!
This works well as Frisky are generally well ahead of the game anyway so I can afford to wait a few months and I'll still have kit that is much better than most!
So my advice is, put it away for a little while!
BEB
PS written on a phone that has a mind of its own!

You're probably right, BEB.

Having tried reloading the firmware and not getting any better results I'm tempted to put it away in the workshop rubbish bin. Instead I'll wait for a while and shove it in a drawer and forget about it. I suppose if something seems to be too good to be true, it usually is.

I can't find anywhere to download OpenTX ver 2.2. The most recent is 2.1.9. What concerns me is that loading ver 2.2 also means finding a compatible voice file but there was no reference as to where to find such a file. Luckily I have a 'scrap' Taranis to play with (the one I repaired after my charger disaster) so I'm not in danger of messing up my main one.

Geoff

I have to report that I've successfully flown mine today in all modes.
Using Horus, this time I've programmed the 6 position switch to select modes and also an easy to reach toggle switch to switch stabilisation on and off. This gives a far more relaxed mode selection before switching stabilisation in while at an appropriate attitude.

It's good to land and tweak settings from the Horus screen too.

Geoff I think you either need Opentx 2.2 and the LUA script, which we can help with. Or you need the STK adapter and the PC program.

Confirming that you have a good bind would be a good start though. Try binding with 12 channels selected. I can't remember why I resorted to that, now.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody successfully bound a S6R to the original Taranis with EU-LBT firmware?

I have now tried two and in spite of reassurances from FrSky that they are compatible they simply don't bind. Instead of the green LED coming on the red LED flashes when powered on again after the binding sequence.

I know I am not alone with this problem.