S6R receivers

Geoff S

Advert

Just downloaded the latest version and run it without either a STK or (of course) an S6R it worked (or didn't ) as I expected. Haven't had a chance to try out my S6R in anger yet and I intend to leave its setting alone until I have but this looks like it'll be very useful.

Thanks a lot for your efforts.

Geoff

FrSky seem to have made a mistake on the S6R firmware download page.

These are the files that were posted by FrSky when they just released their 161109 firmware for the S6R:

S6R_20161109.frk - the non-EU version
S6R_EU_20161109.frk - the EU (presumably LBT, as it's the only one for EU now) version

And these are the files available at FrSky download page now:
S6R_FCC_20161109.frk - the non-EU version
S6R_LBT_20161109.frk - the EU / LBT version"

These later files do not work properly!

Mike.

Well I test flew my S6R the other day and all seemed to work well apart from the auto level function. When I switched that on the model promptly rolled inverted and headed for the ground and was not controllable until I switched the auto level off. I don't plan on using this function much but it's a bit worrying that turning it on caused the model to go out of control as if I accidentally flick it on when the model is at low level that would be the end of the model.

Has anyone else had this or know why the model is reacting in this way? Is it something to do with the self test function? I've had the model perfectly level when doing the self test and as far as I know the Rx is set up correctly?

At a guess Mike, the Rx is fitted upside down. These stabilisers default with a front and a back, a top and a bottom, I am certain that you know that. On a high winger the unit is already the right way up, so as to speak, therefore it is inverted to go into a low winger, and needs setting up that way.

Increase its sensitivity temporarily and lift each wing in turn, and the lifted wing should also lift that aileron. I think you will find your aileron goes down when you lift the wing. Go on then and reverse that axis.

Thanks for your reply Denis. I should have mentioned that the surfaces react in the correct sense, i.e.: if I raise a wing that aileron goes up to correct the roll and if I lower the nose both elevons go up in order to correct the pitch, so it's got to be something to do with the position the elevons go to when I flick the switch (the default or resting positions) not being right for some reason. That's why I wonder if it's got something to do with the what attitude the model is at when the self test function is triggered........

Grrr Sod's law strikes again!! I've had 3 attempts to check out my S6R in anger and been frustrated each time.

1st attempt: I couldn't understand why when set to 'normal' the ailerons didn't work properly. When I got home I realised I'd forgotten to initialise the receiver via channel 12!! When I tried at home it worked fine. Senior moment, I guess.

2nd attempt (Wednesday this week): I broke the Perspex on my Frsky transmitter tray as I was loading the car. I can't fly without it, especially when it's cold and certainly not when it's a test flight. Made a new piece out of 6mm birch ply in readiness for ...

3rd attempt (Today, Friday): Everything seemed fine and I set up the model OK but it seemed odd that I wasn't getting a 'Flight mode X' message when I switched SD on channel 10. I flew anyway and tried both 'Auto level' and 'Stabilisation' modes but neither seemed very effective. After landing I discovered that switching SD down had no effect at all. I guessed a wire had broken off the switch rendering one position inoperative. So no wonder I didn't notice any effect from the stabilisation system!

When I got home I took my Taranis apart to check the switch wiring but it seemed OK and a bit of judicious pulling didn't reveal any broken wires. So I checked again and everything worked!! I've resoldered the wires in case there was a poor connection and made sure the multiple connector to the main board is well seated and I'll try again some time.

Anyway I flew until I ran out of batteries. The S6R behaves perfectly as a normal receiver. If it behaves as well in auto and stabilisation modes I'll be happy.

Still no news from Frsky about the problem with older RF boards.

Geoff

1. As I have to invert the model to fit the battery it seems to need the self-test when I turn it over. It doesn't seem to remember the self test. It's not a problem. I've just assigned a switch to channel 12 and I know the self-test is complete after the control surfaces are exercised. Then, of course, I check the operation before take off. That may not apply with a glow powered model or an electric one which can be powered up with the model in its normal straight and level attitude. The FS button is inaccessible with the wing on.

2. I checked all the switch indicators and it didn't work. It just showed neutral (middle) or up. When I switched down nothing happened. Same when I switched to the channels page from timer page you illustrate. Channel 10 (the switch) just showed one direction. Now it works as expected.

There was definitely a fault of some sort that cured itself - worrying but not plane threatening. I just unsoldered the connections and resoldered with new shrink tubing. I also checked the switch operation with a meter. The switch feels OK and usually a faulty switch doesn't move positively.

Geoff

Thanks, Mike. Backwards compatibility has never been Frsky's forte. I had to ditch a few receivers when I moved from a Futaba plug-in RF module to a Taranis (actually I sold them along with the Futaba FF7 Super and the module). It seems they've done it again.

Nether of my Taranises is a Plus but the slightly newer one has the later RF PC board and I've fitted the improved side pots. That works OK. Aren't all Taranis transmitters (including non-Plus) counted as having XJT RF modules? I get confused. I learned a new word when doing yesterday's crossword - dotard - it describes me I'm sorry to say

I just wish I'd found out why my switch failed. I've always hated intermittent faults or even ones that apparently cure themselves. Even s/w can have those.

Geoff

Don't think so Bob. It worked OK before in the workshop. It failed at the field yesterday. It works now. I'd post the eepe file if I knew how.

I've just made the switches on the appropriate channel. ie SD channel 10; SC channel 11; SE channel12; Pot S1 is set up as the gain control on channel 9. SE is only allowed when SG (motor enable switch) is up so that a self test cannot be initiated when the motor is enabled ie when in flight.

I've set up the gain pot in the 'Inputs' page but not included the switches, which are set up on the 'Mixer' page.

I have a voice message for each step viz:

SD central "Normal"

SD down SC central - stabilisation mode "Flight Mode 1"

SD down SC down - auto level mode "Flight Mode 2"

SD down SC up - hover mode "Flight Mode 3"

SD up SC central - knife edge mode "Flight Mode 4"

I'm only interested in the stabilisation and auto level modes (primarily the former). The others not so much but I may try them out once I've got everything working. I'll probably try auto level first as it seems the most benign.

Geoff

Geoff: I've something for you to try with your original Taranis. I was testing something (unrelated) today and so triede binding the S6R to my external XJT module in a 9XR-PRO. The bind was OK, but I was then surprised when the S6R didn't respond. I took the XJT apart and see it is the (old) V2 PCB. This XJT had been working with the S6R. On checking, I noticed I was using a "receiver number" of 1. I changed this to 0 (the value I had used previously) and the S6R bound and worked OK.

I then pulled out my prototype Taranis with the internal V2 board and tried lots of RxNums.

0, 3, 4, 7, 9, and 10 didn't work but 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 and 8 did work. With the external XJT in the 'PRO, 0 and 3 work but 1 and 2 don't. I've still to check more values, another early Taranis, and I want to check a plus on lots of RxNums.

Please try your early Taranis with different RxNums.

Mike.

Streuth! As soon as you get involved with these computer thingies with all that software interfering with good honest hardware strange things happen. They'll never catch on! I suppose things have moved on since back in 1961 I had to go to the library (Remember them? A sort of Google with books) to find out what a computer was before I went to an interview for a job at GEC, but still not completely sorted out

I still haven't tried out my S6R in anger. I thought of going out today but that's as far as I got. Getting soft in my old age, plus the fact that my bench is full of 1/4 scale Percival Mew Gull right now. I'll certainly try that, though. I'm half tempted to buy another S6R anyway but perhaps I'll wait for a S8R which must surely be on the cards. I have models that might benefit from some flying aids but need the extra channels.

Thanks for the info, Mike. I, and others I'm sure, appreciate it.

Geoff

It would be difficult, Chris. At least I feel somewhat absolved from feeling stupid because I couldn't get mine working properly. All good fun for these cold, dark winter days, I suppose.

Mine's still in an as yet fully tested model so I'm not really in a position to test it easily but I will once I've swept away the balsa dust and shavings.

Geoff

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 11/12/2016 12:48:57:
Rx 1,2,5 & 6 work with my Taranis but 0,3 & 4 don't.
V3 board in Tx.

Could you test the non-working Rx numbers a bit more please? I've found that they bind OK, but then, after powering the Rx off and on, the red LED is flashing slowly indicating no signal. However, just occasionally (e.g. 5-10 seconds apart), the green LED flashes on and the servos jump to where the sticks are.

Do you see this?

I'm asking as I'm in direct contact with FrSky development and trying to help solve this (and other) problems.

Geoff: Any chance you could also try some different Rx numbers please?

Mike.

• 1 month later...