Scampton Airshow

John F

After much discussion and fears that the airshow circuit in the UK was getting smaller and smaller it was my pleasure and honour to be involved in planning for the Scampton Airshow prior to leaving the RAF.  It was nice to see committed people working to bring something back, especially in light of other high profile airshows being reduced or withdrawn. 

Whilst I am no longer involved it is heartening to see that the project has come to full fruition and tickets are now on sale!

**LINK**

Edited By John F on 11/11/2016 07:45:15

Advert

I always loved going to Waddington and got the tickets from Morrison's a couple of days before so I knew what the forecast was like and they only cost 22 each which I was prepared to lose if rain stopped play but 39quid and advanced for Scampton is a different matter. Given I'd be buying 2 tickets and I'm not sure I want to take the chance of losing 80. That's the same reason I don't go to Duxford and RIAT anymore.

Edited By ChrisB on 11/11/2016 08:00:38

Edited By ChrisB on 11/11/2016 08:01:32

Edited By ChrisB on 11/11/2016 08:13:54

Nice to see a new show on the bill but it cannot be denied some have fallen by the wayside.

I agree with Chris that paying through the nose in advance for a show that might be scuppered by weather is a result of the new legislation i am sure of it. Shows are trying to guarantee income and the 'panic' some experience by fearing they wont get a ticket drives sales and it becomes a vicious circle. Its why i never go to RIAT and its why this year was the first time in almost a decade that i didnt attend Flying Legends at Duxford. I did take a punt on the September show and was so nearly caught out. If i had clicked Saturday not Sunday i would have had a lovely day sat in the pouring rain. As it was the sunday was perfect but it was close. I was also miffed with the stupid new parking charge duxford slap on now so as i said last year, my attendance at duxford shows is well down, as is their attendance overall.

I know shoreham is never likely to return as a show, but to be able to turn up, pay 25 quid and then sit all day watching the flying with ample food, drink and toilet facilities available made it probably the best overall show there was.

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 11/11/2016 08:42:38

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 11/11/2016 08:42:12:

Nice to see a new show on the bill but it cannot be denied some have fallen by the wayside.

I agree with Chris that paying through the nose in advance for a show that might be scuppered by weather is a result of the new legislation i am sure of it. Shows are trying to guarantee income and the 'panic' some experience by fearing they wont get a ticket drives sales and it becomes a vicious circle.

It is amazing what people read into such a simple decision and the conclusions that are made thereafter.

Having endured many meetings that discussed an incredible amount of stuff, (including endless photos of a ten mile radius of road sings and traffic management options!) I can categorically state that the legislative changes had nothing to do with putting tickets on sale.

All that has happened is that the planning processes have finished, staff numbers confirmed, sponsors confirmed and contracts signed and trade stand space marked out.

There is nothing more to do, once you get to that stage, other than get the tickets out.

Edited By John F on 11/11/2016 12:45:40

Edited By John F on 11/11/2016 12:58:35

Then why make it advance tickets ONLY? because they need to recoup costs as quickly as they can and dont want to risk loosing money if people dont show because the weather is bad. As costs are higher (i dont believe closing roads is free?) than they were its more important that before to get the cash in the door quickly. Both of these things add up to a higher ticket price.

Its simple business sense and i cant fault them for that, but as a customer it puts me off as i could be looking at £80 outlay for no show. Advance tickets are not the issue, its making it advance ticket only that is really irritating.

No doubt you will again go out of your way to disagree with me as you always do, but that is how i see it and i am far from alone in my view. So until you can produce some documentary accounting information which proves us wrong i will continue to back this view and wont bother wasting my time arguing with you.

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 11/11/2016 13:26:51:

Then why make it advance tickets ONLY? because they need to recoup costs as quickly as they can and dont want to risk loosing money if people dont show because the weather is bad. As costs are higher (i dont believe closing roads is free?) than they were its more important that before to get the cash in the door quickly. Both of these things add up to a higher ticket price.

. . .

No doubt you will again go out of your way to disagree with me as you always do, but that is how i see it and i am far from alone in my view. So until you can produce some documentary accounting information which proves us wrong i will continue to back this view and wont bother wasting my time arguing with you.

I will always agree with you on anything that we agree on wink.

This is clearly just preferring to believe your own hype rather than seeing the reasons for what they really are, which is really rather sad.

This is what I know:

Tickets are not available on the day for a few reasons:

1. Non ticket holders won't be clogging the approach roads and general road networks as they try to get in but can't. Historically this has affected many airshows in the past.

2. Ticket holders won't be delayed in getting in, it'll be busy enough as it is!

3. Emergency Services won't be delayed in their response times to emergency call outs. (This was number one priority IIRC)

4.  Sales from outlets is sometimes disappointing and there has been problems with outlets keeping tickets despite asking for unsold tickets to be centralised nearer the time.  With secure online trading every ticket can be sold from one point.

I also know that initial investment has paid for some services up front and the rest are paid after the event.

Obviously this will fall on deaf ears and your own theory will be the only thing you will accept, but that is part of the official reason and I find your stance both stubborn and dismissive but to demand to be provided with documentary evidence is just about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I just wanted to let folk know that tickets are up for sale and you wade in like this? Thanks!

Edited By John F on 11/11/2016 14:25:17

Frankly i'm appalled , you don't want to buy a ticket in case it rains n your moneys lost. sad

Is this the spirit the Empire was built on ? Nelson stayed home ...sea was a bit rough, Hilary stopped halfway....me feet are cold, Tommy Cooper never took to the stage....folk are laughing at me. Get a ticket bought and show your support. wink

John

Eighty quid plus travelling costs and all the other incidentals for myself and the wife is a bit too much to stomach. You're looking at ?120 at least for a day out that has a good chance of being washed out. I doubt that we'll bother.

Edited By Cuban8 on 11/11/2016 15:16:11

Edited By Cuban8 on 11/11/2016 15:17:12

Well this aviation enthusiast understands that a pay on entry policy would almost certainly result in a potentially massive influx on the day of traffic into what is essentially a quite rural area - should the weather turn out to be worthy of a day out for granny and the rest of the family - not forgetting the dogs!!

I have just booked an expensive 4 week holiday in the far east. I am assuming that there will a no problems and delays on the Piccardilly Line and I will get to LHR in time to book in for my flight. Im hoping the December weather will not ground my 13 hour flight, that the French air traffic controllors won't be intent ln causing problems and that A380's will not be grounded for some reason ect, not go mention alarm clocks and so on, ad infinitum.

I will be booking my two tickets for Scampton. I will hope the weather is good, and please let me meet a woman who will come to the day and enjoy it with me and I'm hoping she knows something about really worthwhile, calorie laiden picnics.

Well done to everyone who has been involved with the conception, granting permissions and making the commitment to stage the event not^ to mention the team that has dedicated a fair chunk of their lives in the planning.

Well done everyone. I'm in!

Selling from a major retailer in addition to online at a price of £30 with no booking fee would be acceptable. Selling only from the Scampton Website on a 'when they're gone they're gone' basis i.e. they could have gone a week before and its appalling weather on the day, then its a no from me with £80 wasted.

Me and SWMBO went to Yeovilton a few years ago. Stopped in a holiday inn overnight, then went to the show. Fog, rain and general bad weather, helicopters only and the tickets were advance only. Wasted money, the issue was the advanced tickets that can only be used on a specified day.

2 days before the show, less than £30 or no show for me i'm afraid!

My wife and I are regular visitors to Duxford and also attend as many airshows there as we can. We are members of 'Friends of Duxford' and for the £90 annual membership, believe it gives us good value for money given that a normal adult day tickets for two people comes to over thirty quid now. I think we get 20% off airshow tickets as well, and of course the comfort of the friends enclosure at airshows.

I must admit that we baulked at the advance ticket only policy introduced at Duxford recently, but in truth, it has improved the visiting experience by so much. IIRC only the first airshow weekend under the new system was sold out, and I bought tickets for all subsequent events within a few days of the closing date when I could get a reasonable idea of what the weather was doing. All done on-line, so dead easy.

On the last three events where we had weekend passes (staying nearby) we drove directly into the airfield at 0900 with no traffic whatsoever - a contrast to the chaos that usually develops, and we always stay until the very last and simply drive out with minimal delay at around 1900. We've only had one day spoiled by rain which had us leave early, but at least you've got the hangers to walk around and keep out of the wet.

Airshows are not the cheap entertainment of years ago (Old Warden still gives the best value though) so expect to pay around a hundred quid all in, for two adults for a full day out. People will pay such sums, provided they feel they're getting VFM, and the organisers must be very mindful of this.

• 1 month later...