Old Haltonians ( Halton - Brats / Trenchard Brats )

Peter Android

http://www.oldhaltonians.co.uk/

It is with great sadness that . on Dec 10th the decision to close / move R.A.F Halton has been issued.

Ref: Group Captain Duncan Grant (Retd)

10th December 2016 - A MESSAGE FROM DUNCAN GRANT- YOUR CHAIRMAN

On the 9th December we were formally advised that RAF Halton will close by 2022. The run down is planned to occur in three phases before disposal of the site as an RAF Station.

a. Phase 1 - Airfield disposal.

b. Phase 2 - Relocation of School of Recruit Training and Airmans' Command School to RAF College Cranwell.

c. Phase 3 - Relocation / rationalisation of Lodger Units.

As the plans evolve over the coming months your Council will keep you informed of the impact for the Association.

As part of the Governments " Rationalisation" Plans

This will bring closure the most significant period in the History of the R.F.C - R.A.F thanks to Lord Trenchard's Legacy . though hopefully not it's end .

As other Brats will testify For over 70 years Halton was the R.A.F No1 school of Technical Training before it's uprooting to * R.A.F Cosford

Without Halton , the Rothschilds & Lord Trenchard , The Creation of the R.A.F as we know it , or even at all , could not have taken place .

May I urge any ex - brat or other interested parties / supporters to pay a visit the Apprentice Museum at Halton , if Humanly possible , whilst they still have the chance .

I would like to thank my Good Friend Bob Rodham ( Ex - Brat ) and supporter / contributer / website creator of numerous apprentice causes , and  Halton 223 Entry Website,  for His continuing Support.

This is in respect of the Thousands of Apprentices who passed through Halton's Gates and were / are the unsung Heroes of Numerous Conflicts.

Regards to all

P.

Edited By Peter Android on 12/12/2016 17:07:59

Edited By Peter Android on 12/12/2016 17:19:02

Advert

My half-brother ( 13 years my junior) was there from about 1969 when he would have been 16 (perhaps a year later). He retired from the RAF some years ago as a Chief Tech IIRC. His son is a helicopter instructor at Shawbury after being a Merlin pilot and now he's about to retire to take up teaching maths and science in Jersey (don't where he got his brains from )

I'll let him know if he doesn't already.

Geoff

For those who are centred upon model flying - solus ,

And have little or no interest in the R.A.F or Government " Rationalisation " ? not a judgement , each to their own .

however , there are some bitter pills to swallow here.

The Devil is in the detail.

Ref b. Stage 2 in the blue highlighted section .

This transfer is to be completed by 2020 , which of course means massive infrastructure changes to both Cranwell and Barkston Heath.

Coupled with the likely closure of the current technical training at Cosford , who may also re - locate to Cranwell.

The Implications are onerous , as far as Model Flying Goes .

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/better-defence-estate-strategy

You may do well to study the associated pdf file at some length.

The Government website / pdf , though recent , is not up to date and things are moving forward at a pace , literally as we speak.

Not being a Barrack Room lawyer , and being a spokesman purely for myself - as always , it would appear to me at the very least , from the published facts , that Military establishments are to be given over to Housing Development on an massively unprecedented scale .

IMHO Far from contributing to the Military Budget , they are decimating it and those who live , exist and depend upon it ? The Fat Cats involved in this will be rubbing their collective whiskers in glee , most of the closure / re - development sites are prime - top dollar land , with associated mega - buck housing prices .

My Heart goes out to the Military personel who will be severely affected by all of this, and the infrastructure that are co - dependant.

This is likely to have a profound effect on Model Flying in the UK , and possibly many Model Clubs ? 

As if things weren't bad enough with the palaver over EASA proposals.

Has this got your attention ?

Edited By Peter Android on 12/12/2016 21:50:40

Edited By Peter Android on 12/12/2016 22:02:36

That's a real shame, although I think its been on the cards for a while.

I had two spells at Halton, once in 1976/77 doing my Airframe mechanics course and once again in 1980/81 doing my Fitters course. I Well remember marching down the hill and across the road every day to the sound of the band.

The new workshops where we did much of our training were very old even then! The camp is actually older than the Royal Air Force, originally being a Royal Flying Corps station.

Many years ago I travelled with the Luton club to a C/L combat competiton at Halton - us against the Halton Apprentices. I think it was 1963, and I was 16 at the time. I am in the middle of the front row in the attached photo, and still fly with one other luton member who is also in that front row.

Anyone else remember being there, or recognise anyone amongst the Halton Apprentices?

Dick

img037.jpg

Peter A. Whether or not this racialization aversely affects you there is not a lot that can be done about it. Especially if you are in the military where you have very little right to reply. My suspicion is whatever money the government saves now it will have to pay out many times over in the future when vital assets become urgently required.

Just think back to the Falklands war where a lot of the essential ships that made up the task force were earmarked for decommissioning. If the Argentines had waited a little longer the British would have not had the assets to send a task force.

This is only one of many sites that are being affected. Add that to the military bases in Germany that are due to be handed back it significantly reduces the real-estate available to the MOD. Military numbers are being also reduced. Maybe it is just a sad fact that Britain can no longer afford the Military it once had. I also think you a right about the fat cats making a lot of money out of the situation. Money that should be going to the Government.

I find this news very sad as an ex-brat (Halton 1955 -1958)

The way successive governments are cutting defence spending should have us all taking lessons in Russan, as we will be unable to stop any move to invade. No the Americans will not help as Trump is only concerned with USA security.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/576401/Better_Defence_Estate_Dec16_Amends_Web.pdf

Again , Since this is a Model Flying Forum , Myself being one of them and an ex - brat , I would urge all modellers to read this .

As I previously tried to point out, great swathes of both Urban & Countryside may be affected by " Rationalisation " which is the Governments spin on this.

I fear that Model Sites / Clubs may be affected , are Modellers to be barred from entering / flying on M.O.D land in general ? what's left of them that is . after the housing developments get under way .

Have the forthcoming changes at Cranwell / Barkston alone signified the end of the Nats ? I hope not .

Many of you will have fond memories of Halton , thank you to those who contribute .

My post is not any kind of political statement , which do not belong on here , simply a nod to all ex - brats and how these defence changes may yet affect Model Flying.

Cheers. 

Edited By Peter Android on 13/12/2016 11:39:10