Dihedral brace - Lite ply

Advert

Hi Hamish,

As Peter wrote, liteply will be way too brittle. Especially if you're referring to your Baron aka Vicomte 1915 build.

It has a flat central section, so the brace is quite 'large' as it has to maintain the total wing load.

In the original Svenson kit, the flying wires are not functional, but were just there for 'cosmetics'. They were made of tiny black elastic bands as used for Carnival masks.

Cheers

Chris

Hell Chris

Thanks for info Chris. I had abandoned the flying wires as although they would give the model an original look would provide more hassel than they were worth

Have made a few changes to the original plan in that I was not to keen on the front fixing for the wing via a long block of balsa. Changing it by adding an additional former just in front of the LE and using pegs in wing

I like the scratch build as it is so easy to change things, not to drastic, to suit your own ideas.

Must get on.

Hamish

You're mostly welcome, Hamish.

That "long block of balsa" you're talking about doesn't seem to be a fantastic idea to me neither.

So, I guess I will 'replace' that too when I start the Baron/Vicomte.

Regarding the flying wires, they're not that much of an hassle as not functional. If you're using a small spring near the fuselage connection, you can even use some control line wire to obtain a great look.

IMHO, a Baron without flying wires should very quickly look like an HK 'Ugly Stick' thingie... But that's just me, you know.

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Peter Miller on 12/12/2016 19:42:41:

Liteply is not realy strong enough.

use 1/8" (3mm) birch ply.

Grain should run along the longest dimension parallel with the spars.

Edited By Peter Miller on 12/12/2016 19:43:25

I'll second that! A friend bought a smallish electric powered Extra from Robotbirds at a Wings and Wheels a few years ago. The wings folded on the first loop - model and brand new motor bought at the same time were destroyed. On examination, I found the wing joiner was made from 1/8 liteply and not surprisingly, had failed. Robotbirds wouldn't entertain any suggestion of a design fault but my friend wasn't as persistent as I would have been and wrote the loss off.

Their loss long term though - we just walk past their tent now.

I have a Vicomte that is about 15 years old now, powered by a 32 year old OS 40 four stroke.

The plane flies at about 3 mph, and is a delight to fly.

To be honest the wing loading and the flying speed means you do not even need a center brace. The plane is not really capable of high stress, or even low stress manouvers with its heavily undercambered wing and very light weight.

The plane just putters along and is best flown when the wind is really strong as you can  hover the plane or even fly circuits backwards.

I have done 10 minute flights where it has taken off , flown, and landed without moving forward more than a couple of meters, just varies in height.

I love this plane.

The front wing fixing is more than adequote and the elastic flying wires I attached to hooks made from bending pins to small loops of bent pin on the fuse so easy to attach.

Enjoy the plane but do not overbuild it, or over engine it to try and make it fly faster, it does not require any mods.

Darryl

Edited By Djay on 17/12/2016 02:45:44

Edited By Djay on 17/12/2016 02:46:12

Thank you for the info and advice Darryi. Unfortunately the Baronnet that I had only recently built decided to clap hands which on reflection was due to damage I had inflicted earlier and not due to the designed construction. This has influenced me on the build of the Vicomte in that I have beefed up the spars in the wing and replaced the main two spars, 10x3mm balsa, with pine (or birch?). Making steady progress but I need to apply myself a bit more. I intend to fit the ASP 35, 4 stoke which I think will be just about right.

After the Vicomte I am going on to the Duke which is slightly bigger and I have a Satio 40 Special for this model.

Again, thanks for advice, particularly with the front peg which I will give a try although will need to laminate some balsa to get thickness.

Hamish