Hello! Newbie interested in RC flying

Hoshil Jethwa

Hello all, and firstly id like to wish everyone a very happy new year!

I have recently began to look into RC flying and having built a few cars (Tamiyas) in the past, i think I have the patience for this kind of thing but never ventured into flying.

Clicking on recent YouTube videos etc I have seen some very nice twin EDF jets etc which look great but do cost quite a bit of money and don't want to go there till I know what I'm doing.

So where do you guys think I should start? I love building things but should I be purchasing a ready to fly kit just to get a feel of flying etc? Having looked on places like eBay you can find inexpensive RTF RC planes and gliders but unsure what to go for. I don't think I'd venture down the turbine route as I've a little experience in brushless/lipo setups in the past etc.(but never say never!)

Also are there any local clubs or meets in London I could attend soon?

Look forward to discussing more with you guys and thanks for reading .

Hosh

Advert

Hi Hoshill

Where do I think you should start?

With a club and a trainer aircraft - you can teach yourself to fly, but its generally a more expensive and frustrating

If you are going to join a club, its best to visit potential clubs before investing cash in the hobby, most clubs will have an instructor who can help you learn safety (99% of clubs do this for free once you join) many also have a suitable trainer for your first flights and give you guidance as to what kit you need to get (to ensure compatibility with the instructor)

Forget all about turbines for now for sure, start on a prop driven high wing trainer - whether thats IC or Electric is upto you there are plenty of choices either way, either Ready to Fly or Almost Ready to Fly

Posted by Hoshil Jethwa on 01/01/2017 13:03:25:
Yup London indeed!
Specifically in the NW London area, do you or anyone happen to know of any locals club?

Excited to hear that I'd have a chance to try something our before I buy

have a look at the BMFA club finder here **LINK**

There's not too many clubs within the NW sector of the M25 so you might have to go a little further out to find somewhere that takes your fancy. Well worth the effort though, & will save you time and money in the long run.

Hi Hoshil

I am in NW London and belong to HDMAC which can be found online.

They are a very friendly bunch of guys and they have club trainer and instructor.

John H

Edited By John Helling on 01/01/2017 14:51:40

Edited By John Helling on 01/01/2017 14:52:06

Edited By John Helling on 01/01/2017 14:52:31

Hoshil, the best way will be by joining a club, where there will be people who can teach you correctly and in a safe location. Its highly likely you'll also be a member of the British Model Flying Association (BMFA) which is by far the best option.

In terms of aircraft, you're best starting with a training aircraft, rather than anything more advanced like an EDF. Your club and instructors will advise you. Basically its like learning to drive in a Fiesta rather than a Ferrari.