DH87B Hornet Moth

Martyn K

Advert

Thanks Richie

Thats great. Glad you are enjoying it.

Manish. I am pretty sure that Gordon said the design was unpublished.. Here are a couple of jpgs of the wing and fus. The plans are very detailed - even down to artwork. Gordon is a real master at his art.

fus.jpg

and

wing.jpg

It is indeed 70" span ( or thereabouts)

Don't worry about cluttering up me thread BTW, I enjoy blogs that meander

Martyn

Still feeling absolutely dreadful. Spent a couple of hours last night tweaking a couple of spacers and then started fitting the stringers. Cut from 1/16 x 1/32 of very soft wood they are very fiddly to fit. 5 fitted last night and this morning I have realised that 2 are the wrong size..frown

So they need to be replaced later - a case of 5 steps forward, 2 backwards

I also need to start work on the cockpit detail next. The doors will be non functional so the seats and interior detail will have to go in from the base. I am going to try and make most of the cockpit detail from a polystyrene party plate. I think that I am looking forward to trying that.

fus12.jpg

and

fus13.jpg

The offending stringers are the upper one on the side - should be 3/32 x 1/32 and the centre top one - should be 1/8 x 1/32. Both are very tricky to fit..

More to come

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 10/01/2017 11:49:46

Posted by Martyn K on 10/01/2017 11:36:21:

Thanks Richie

Thats great. Glad you are enjoying it.

Manish. I am pretty sure that Gordon said the design was unpublished.. Here are a couple of jpgs of the wing and fus. The plans are very detailed - even down to artwork. Gordon is a real master at his art.

<Picture Snip>

It is indeed 70" span ( or thereabouts)

Don't worry about cluttering up me thread BTW, I enjoy blogs that meander

Martyn

Martyn,

That is indeed, the Gordon Whitehead 70" Tiger Moth that was published in RCM. As it is now, all that is documented is a substandard scan of the plans from the magazine. Here is the link to the RCGroups message.**LINK**

As of now, most all of the plans published in RCM have been documented and have been posted to Outerzone. This would be an invaluable addition to the collection.

Regards,

Mike

Still not 100% but I have made a bit more progress.

Still adding and sanding down 1/32 stringers and I also have a door frame. The door frames took me an evening to fabricate...

fus15.jpg

The cowl upper deck sheeted from thinned 1/64 balsa. It took me nearly 450mm to produce the upper 75mm deck

fus14.jpg

Its thin..

fus16.jpg

Parker for a day or so as the coughing fits were causing me to damage the fuselage so I had a crack at the interior. Fabricated mainly from Depron on a 1/32 balsa base, the idea is that I can pull this out and add even more detail when I am feeling particularly masochistic..

dscn3364.jpg

and

cockpit1.jpg

and

cockpit2.jpg

Needs painting. Shame its not white leather... I have got the instrumentation to add yet. The blue dot represents a fuel level indicator between the seats, the control column is meant to be that shape and the little white disk is the base for the compass - which I still have to make. Also need to add seat belts/harness and a pilot.. The cockpit weighs 2.01gms

I started back on the woodwork again today. The wing ribs are halved - upper and lower. I have cut a moderate number of upper curves - still thinking about the lower ones which are mainly - but not quite flat. I do have a cunning plan to jig the LE while building which I'll explain more when I try it.

So while I am scratching my head over the wing, I have started work on the tailplane. It has been suggested offline that this is not the best way of doing this as it is heavier than it should be but I want the appearance of a scale structure so am not really sure the alternative will give me what I want.

dscn3363.jpg

If its too heavy, I'll scrap it.

dscn3366.jpg

Needs the other side assembling and then sanding down and then most of the centre sheet will be cut away. Hopefully, I'll be less than 3gms ready to cover..

More to come

Martyn

Tell me about it. I have had enough of 1/32 x 1/16 balsa to last me a while..

One of the problems that I am having with the wing ribs is getting the ribs small enough so they look realistic under the covering material. I then need to add the stitches and rib tapes. Pointless having wing ribs wider than the tapes

Posted by Martyn K on 15/01/2017 22:30:54:

Still not 100% but I have made a bit more progress.

Still adding and sanding down 1/32 stringers and I also have a door frame. The door frames took me an evening to fabricate...

fus15.jpg

The cowl upper deck sheeted from thinned 1/64 balsa. It took me nearly 450mm to produce the upper 75mm deck

fus14.jpg

Its thin..

fus16.jpg

Parker for a day or so as the coughing fits were causing me to damage the fuselage so I had a crack at the interior. Fabricated mainly from Depron on a 1/32 balsa base, the idea is that I can pull this out and add even more detail when I am feeling particularly masochistic..

dscn3364.jpg

and

cockpit1.jpg

and

cockpit2.jpg

Needs painting. Shame its not white leather... I have got the instrumentation to add yet. The blue dot represents a fuel level indicator between the seats, the control column is meant to be that shape and the little white disk is the base for the compass - which I still have to make. Also need to add seat belts/harness and a pilot.. The cockpit weighs 2.01gms

I started back on the woodwork again today. The wing ribs are halved - upper and lower. I have cut a moderate number of upper curves - still thinking about the lower ones which are mainly - but not quite flat. I do have a cunning plan to jig the LE while building which I'll explain more when I try it.

So while I am scratching my head over the wing, I have started work on the tailplane. It has been suggested offline that this is not the best way of doing this as it is heavier than it should be but I want the appearance of a scale structure so am not really sure the alternative will give me what I want.

dscn3363.jpg

If its too heavy, I'll scrap it.

dscn3366.jpg

Needs the other side assembling and then sanding down and then most of the centre sheet will be cut away. Hopefully, I'll be less than 3gms ready to cover..

More to come

Martyn

Just look at all of that beautiful wood. When people say aero modeller, this is what I see in my mind.

Richie

Hi Danny

My solid core will be hollowed out considerably before it gets covered. Andy S did suggest the same thing, but I couldn't work out how to get those half ribs to locate with a laminated outline. I would need to have added a curved laminated spar as well. That is plan B if this turns out more than a couple of grams. The core is 1/64 balsa BTW - quite decent quality and I have no laminated LE or TE to worry about.

Sanding it down is tricky though

Martyn

Hi Martyn, I will be interested to see how heavy it works out. But yes, no laminated leading/trailing edges to worry about, they are however very strong and not too heavy

I think to achieve what you need with tailplane half ribs/riblets I would have used a partial core that went from the leading edge to the back of the riblets, the rest open. But the beauty of this hobby is that there is no right or wrong way just our way

Keep it up, I have just mentioned yours and Colin's build in the March issue's "Make it Scale" column..... no pressure

Cheers

Danny

That's really dropped me in it. I'm working on the drawings and haven't worked out the power train yet! It's got to be a much simpler build than both of yours and I haven't got a clue whether I can get the weight right. I had a quick look at the numbers and it needs to be about the same weight as Danny's by the looks of it.

We're off to Spain for three weeks on Saturday, if I haven't finished the plan before I go I will do it over there. It will actually be a simple build and should go together quickly. Whether it's going to fly or not will be a different question.

dsc03875.jpgdsc03872.jpgHi Martin

Your build looks great and has me seriously worried, rib tapes and stitching! I am building a Sopwith Triplane from the Aerographics kit for the Indoor RC Scale Nationals having never tried anything of this nature before. The airframe is all but complete and I have started covering, doing 6 wing panels today. Like you I have bought my Electronics for motor, rudder and elevator from Micron, good advice and service. Target weight is 150gms

I am sceptical that I have done the right thing and may quickly build a simple high wing model which is more likely to fly well. Good luck with your build.

Terrific Paul, another one taking part! And that model looks superb, that's the 24" one isn't it? Have you checked the wing loading? If you can add ailerons then go for it I wish I had.....

"The maximum wing loading of the complete model in flying condition including all power packs is 15 gm/sq dm"

Sorry Martyn trampling all over your thread embarrassed

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 16/01/2017 19:33:34

Too late for ailerons, not least because I think they would drive me mad. Planning the RC installation and all the rigging points not to mention the instrument panel, Clerget engine and other detail has been a trial. I think I have actually built at least 2 Tripehounds given the number of times I have made a trial assembly and then built a final version sometimes at the 3rd attempt. Still to work out the wing loading, probably too scared to. Thanks for your encouragement though Danny.