Thunder Tiger 35% Extra 260 Build Blog

Haven't ordered any Silicone trim yet. It's just a thought at the moment. All I've done so far is rule out the PVC grommets.

What I'm concerned about is that the silencers are only held onto the headers via the PTFE tubes and spring clamps. I think they might start to move around when the engine vibration starts. I don't want the vibrating silencers to come into direct contact with the cowl - even if it's reinforced at the point of contact. I'm still thinking of a solution but I have one or two ideas.

Suggestions welcome.

The problem with a screw is that it needs something to tighten up against, to prevent it coming loose. The PTFE is probably too soft to do this - especially when it gets hot.

What I'm thinking at the moment is to drill a pilot hole through the PTFE tube and into the stainless steel silencer or header pipe below. Then drill the PTFE hole a bit larger and push a servo mount spacer into the PTFE tube. Then screw a self tapping screw coated in strong threadlock into the stainless steel, till it tightens against the servo mount spacer. This should then be nice and solid to hold the screw in place, if all goes well. The servo mount spacer should also spread the load of the vibrations a bit to help prevent the PTFE tube from rubbing against the screw and tearing.

The final step would be a turn or two of silicone self fusing tape around the PTFE tube / screws to hold the screws in place in case it does try to vibrate loose.

I don't need to decide just yet as I will start the engine with the cowl off initially, to see whether I think it needs anything doing or whether I'm concerned over nothing. Waiting for tail wheel / prop order from ProBuild before I finish, then wait for field to dry out a bit before flying.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a bit more done today.

One thing I have a habit of doing at the field is either dropping or misplacing small screws. The worst culprits are the ones that attach the canopy to the fuselage.

I recently bought a second- hand model that had a nice tool-free method of fastening the canopy, so I've stolen the idea. Here's how I've done it.

This is the standard arrangement. 4 bolts / washers are used to screw into these captive nuts.

dscn5296.jpg

dscn5297.jpg

First job is to epoxy a length of snake outer between the captive nuts on each side. A length of "well vaselined" metal pushrod pushed through to hold everything in alignment.

dscn5298.jpg

dscn5299.jpg

Short length of snake outer also epoxied into the fuselage holes.

dscn5300.jpg

End of the pushrods bent at 90 degrees and short lengths of snake inner pushed onto them.

dscn5302.jpg

These are fairly standard stick on cable tidies.

dscn5303.jpg

Cable tidies stuck onto the side of the fuselage ......

dscn5304.jpg

.... which nicely grip the metal rods.

dscn5305.jpg

The other end of the rods push through the snake outer and out of the other side.

dscn5306.jpg

They are marked ......

dscn5307.jpg

..... and cut to length. The end is tapered a bit to help it slide in.

I'll tidy it up a bit later.

dscn5309.jpg

Posted by john stones 1 on 05/03/2017 08:34:30:

Not taken with that Gary, poor by your standards, wants something to cover the holes up for a start, maybe something like those DIY screw head fittings and the yellow inner on the wire wants something to replace it, maybe some brass tube...no chance of winter build trophy with that face 1

John

I was trying to be more subtle John! smiley

Posted by Rich2 on 05/03/2017 13:32:39:

That's much better Gary, perhaps change the tube for black stuff? yes

Yes I agree. I don't have anything black that is thick enough at the mo, but I'm on the look-out for something. I might put a bit of black heat shrink tube over the top of the yellow if nothing else turns up.

Edit - The other thing I have in mind is to paint the rod a bright colour so I can see them when I put them on the ground. I spent ten minutes looking for one of them earlier. It was right in front of me blush

Edited By Gary Manuel on 05/03/2017 14:13:58

I've got the 3mm screws, rubber washers and captive nuts to fit the cowl, so here goes...

Position of the holes marked at 1 and a half inch spacing.

dscn5314.jpg

Pilot holes drilled.

dscn5315.jpg

Holes ground out to match the 3mm thread size. The holes on the bottom half were then ground out to match the EXTERNAL diameter of the captive nuts (no photo of that bit).

dscn5316.jpg

Captive nuts epoxied to rectangular pieces of lite ply ......

dscn5317.jpg

........ slightly thinner than the captive nut barrel, so that a bit of the barrel protrudes.

dscn5318.jpg

Captive nut / ply assemblies epoxied in place, with the captive nut protruding into the cowl surface to ensure proper alignment. The front 2 and rear 1 on each side are not straight forward and will require a bit more preparation once the (24 hour) epoxy has set.

dscn5319.jpg

Close up from inside.

dscn5320.jpg

Edited By Gary Manuel on 07/03/2017 16:57:54

Cowl fixings finished.

Rubber washer still to fit between the screw and the cowl. I'll put them on when cowl goes back on after the engine has been run.

dscn5324.jpg

While I was looking at the cowl, I removed the rubber grommets from around the exhaust pipes, ground a couple of mm of material off all round and replaced with heat proof silicone strip. Plenty of clearance now.

dscn5331.jpg

dscn5330.jpg

Posted by john stones 1 on 09/03/2017 16:14:41:

Very tidy Gary yes

Weather's picking up as well for you hot

John

Thanks John,

The front 2 and rear 1 on the other side aren't aligned quite as well blush

Can't do much more till my tail wheel arrives as positioning of everything else is CoG dependant.

Tail wheel has been on order since Christmas. Arrived in UK on Monday and will be posted by Pro-build UK to me today hopefully.