Roto 4-strokes - any expereince?

MattyB

Just found out my Dad has bought himself a rather spectacular new toy - a Roto 85 FSI 2-cylinder inline which he is going to attempt to squeeze into a Topflite P-51...

Anyone had any experience with this engine or any of the other Roto 4-strokes? There are plenty of videos of them running nicely on benches, but only a couple of flying vids. They do sound good, though I suspect a canister or two is going to be required...

Advert

Posted by cymaz on 31/01/2017 06:30:19:

Very short thread HERE . The owner seemed to be pleased with it. There is another short thread on RCUniverse...

Many thanks - I had found the first one, but not the one on RCUniverse. It does seem to run nicely and perform well in the air; I guess maybe buyers are reluctant to purchase these relatively expensive engines from suppliers who don't have a long standing history. I am certainly looking forward to seeing it fly and maybe having a go, but don't expect a video anytime soon - he has his Seagull Spit (NGH 38) to finish and a Laser powered Flair Tiggie to recomission first.

Edited By MattyB on 31/01/2017 14:14:58

I thought J Perkins (the UK distributor) had a long history. It is also possible to buy direct from Roto, who also have quite a long history....

Roto have a huge reputation for quality in Czech, and even a friend who is a dealer for other engine ranges recommended the Roto 35 FS to me, particularly for the sound. The Roto four strokes appear to be designed as lower revving engines than the nearest equivalent OS engines.

There is a very limited range of engine manufacturers I would buy from, and Roto is on the list.

Posted by John Emms - Puffin Models on 01/02/2017 13:24:45:

I thought J Perkins (the UK distributor) had a long history. It is also possible to buy direct from Roto, who also have quite a long history....

Yeah, my Dad bought direct from them as it was apparently a fair bit cheaper than the UK sources for this engine. Didn't know they a long established supplier though, they were a new name to me until a year or two ago... that is reassuring.

Posted by John Emms - Puffin Models on 01/02/2017 13:24:45:

Roto have a huge reputation for quality in Czech, and even a friend who is a dealer for other engine ranges recommended the Roto 35 FS to me, particularly for the sound. The Roto four strokes appear to be designed as lower revving engines than the nearest equivalent OS engines.

There is a very limited range of engine manufacturers I would buy from, and Roto is on the list.

Yes, the quality and sound is the main attraction for him - it may still be difficult to get it below the 85Db limit he has at his site I suspect, but it should be easier than a two stroke of equivalent power. Certainly the build should be a lot nicer than his NGH, though to be fair utilitarian as it is he seem to be one of the lucky ones that got a good one that runs nicely.