Planning laws, clarification sought

Martin Whybrow

Advert

Percy, presumably you are trying to get your kitchen extension through planning as 'permitted development' (so it can't be on the 'front' of the house). Have you tried getting a site meeting with the local council so that can see for themselves, as they usually just look at local plans that are not always correctly drawn or sometimes just out of date.

Regarding land being the soundest investment, successive UK governments have had the disastrous policy of encouraging foreign, and by that I mean non-domicile people, to buy up UK property for investment. For years anybody living abroad has been able to buy houses here and be exempt from paying stamp duty. Fortunately this has now changed but the consequence was that any wealthy foreign individual who fancied a 'pad in London' who had a few hundred thou or million to spare could buy up our housing stock. The huge demand consequently pushed the price of houses through the roof to make them totally out of reach to the local population. These properties would then be rented out at prices to reflect their high value or available to their relatives for example as holiday homes etc. The street where a friend lives is inhabited by Russians, Americans, Chinese, French, Italians, etc. - a veritable United Nations! All very nice people of course but not a level playing field as far as UK born citizens trying to raise a mortgage from UK earned income. Many nations (Greece for example) do not permit non-domicile buyers of their housing stock and others put all kinds of restrictions on it to protect the indigenous population.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 12/02/2017 08:46:26

Posted by Peter Miller on 11/02/2017 08:42:47:

I hear on the radio this morning that when Brexit happens the rules regarding species habitat protection will be cancelled..

Greater Crested Newts will no longer be able to hold up building works.

Me? it doesn't make any difference to me.

In our village (now a small domitory town) They cram the houses in on any space available.

We have Great Crested Newts in our area and I've seen the occasional one. Two house renovations were held up due to this. Surprisingly these animals are remarkably mobile being able to travel 2km in a night. Seems a bit pointless trying to move them on.

Edited By Andy48 on 12/02/2017 11:18:22

Posted by Percy Verance on 12/02/2017 11:15:52:
The LA are saying that as I approach the rear of the property from the highway, that therefore must be the front. They have actually been to see for themselves, and although they can plainly see it's not the layout they expected, they don't seem to able to admit they may have got it wrong......

Percy,

I've spent 20 years doing small conversions and extensions for private home owners (not for the last 15 years though) and in all that time the various LA's whom I've submitted applications to have all taken the stance that the elevation of the house that faces the highway is the front, irrespective of internal layout or actual usage. I'm pretty sure this is what was stated in the Permitted Development policies too. If I'm right on this latter point then their hands are tied on which elevation is the 'front'.

I think Mannyroad is right on this one. Our house is on the corner position of a main road and a cul-de-sac. The orientation of the house positions it as occupying the cul-de-sac. The bay-window to the lounge, study and downstairs loo window face into the cul-de-sac and the patio/conservatory, kitchen and utility are aligned with them, facing into the back garden. Everybody thinks the house is in the cul-de-sac. However the "front-door" is, in effect, in what would normally be considered the side of the house, facing onto the main (fortunately very quiet)! road. That decides the address, even though it doesn't look logical. Despite the fact that we have the house number prominently displayed on the front door and on the tree at the beginning of the path to it, people still fail to identify it and scratch their heads when trying to deliver stuff (usually for my plane projects)!

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 12/02/2017 19:51:57

Posted by Mannyroad on 12/02/2017 19:25:27:
Posted by Percy Verance on 12/02/2017 11:15:52:
The LA are saying that as I approach the rear of the property from the highway, that therefore must be the front. They have actually been to see for themselves, and although they can plainly see it's not the layout they expected, they don't seem to able to admit they may have got it wrong......

Percy,

I've spent 20 years doing small conversions and extensions for private home owners (not for the last 15 years though) and in all that time the various LA's whom I've submitted applications to have all taken the stance that the elevation of the house that faces the highway is the front, irrespective of internal layout or actual usage. I'm pretty sure this is what was stated in the Permitted Development policies too. If I'm right on this latter point then their hands are tied on which elevation is the 'front'.

This concept becomes amusing when your house has a layout like mine does - three elevations face the highway because the house is located in the fork of a y shaped junction, not helped by the fact that we have three entrance doors, each facing a road. The planning officer cannot say which is the front but we have agreed which is the rear!