3D filament ?

rcaddict

Advert

• 2 months later...

I've tried a sample length of PETG because it's reported to be less prone to warping, tough and more heat tolerant. I was put off by the need to get the printer setup just right as I'd had quite some trouble with ABS. It turns out that it might not be so tricky though.

My first print was was very stringy and covered in blobs so for the next few tests I progressively lowered the print temperature together with the print speed, ending up printing at 200c (yes that low!), bed 80c and speed 40mm/s. That helped a lot.

The next thing I did was to increase the retraction distance to 2.5mm at 35mm/s and increase the non-printing nozzle speed to 150mm/s.This last setting allowed the translucent nature of PETG to show properly. It did have a few thin strings but was quite acceptable. I think I can improve that if I increase the retraction just a little more.

At no time was there a problem with warping and that's a big gain.

The ABS I was using was HobbyKing's own which was half the price of the branded stuff so I'm waiting for a sample of Rigid Ink's ABS and we'll see how that prints.

The result of that test will determine my 1Kg purchase with which I plan to do something rather more adventurous.

• 4 months later...

I like PETG. Its my main choice for parts now. ABS warping kept popping up at the worst time. Nylon was good but problems w/that also. PETG flows nice! haven't had any jams since switching. You do have to change temps/retraction/etc. (I print slower and 240º w/more retraction). Found the #'s somewhere and plugged them in and that was it! The only place I may quit using it for is skids. The concrete Rwy I land on sands it down too quickly - will probably go back to nylon if I don't find a fix (trying to put some HDPE on it to prevent wear).

• 1 month later...
Posted by Stan Davey on 31/08/2017 17:41:30:

I like PETG. Its my main choice for parts now. ABS warping kept popping up at the worst time. Nylon was good but problems w/that also. PETG flows nice! haven't had any jams since switching. You do have to change temps/retraction/etc. (I print slower and 240º w/more retraction). Found the #'s somewhere and plugged them in and that was it! The only place I may quit using it for is skids. The concrete Rwy I land on sands it down too quickly - will probably go back to nylon if I don't find a fix (trying to put some HDPE on it to prevent wear).

Solved my warping using a PEI sheet on the bed. Thanks fro the info re tempreatures.

• 11 months later...